chipper: got to work with my new Woodmaxx MX8600 this weekend...

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Wow. I traded up from an 18hp DR manual-feed chipper, and this is not even playing the same game. Paying for the hydraulic feeder was *totally* worth the money. Can throw limbs in from 3' away instead of standing there feeding them in by hand the whole time. Probably 8-10X faster getting through a slash pile.

The hydrostatic feeder on the MX is really good. Nice to have the variable speed and instant direction changing.
The MX has very stout construction - the metal seems thick enough everywhere it should be.

(The biggest deficiency of the DR, for those interested, is that it had only 1 knife on the flywheel. Thus, the feed rate is really slow. This one was >15 years old; I think they've gone to a two-knife design for newer models.)

I did have to switch my 3pt to the inner arm holes to get it low enough to pick up the chipper from the ground. It was a little nervous driving around my very hilly property with that load on the back, but the LX did great. I was able to go everywhere I could reasonably expect to (3" rear spacers installed for the summer).

78EDEA60-40A1-48E9-9699-C9A29E993A8E_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I have not decided to buy a chipper yet; however, yours is what I would buy. It is good to see there is a feature rich, made in the US chipper at a reasonable price.

I trust WoodMax was easy to deal with?

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
There were out of stock for a while, so I got on the waitlist. When they sent an email saying they had some stock, I ordered that day. Ordering was easy-peasy.

There was a slight nuisance with the shipping - their selected carrier (Old Dominion) claimed they couldn't provide a short truck for delivery to my home in the mountains so I'd have to pick it up a the OD terminal (an hour away). When I went to pick it up, it was obvious that OD doesn't deal with customer pick-ups very much - no signage for how to get into the place, or where to go. Once I got in (had to call to be told which gate to enter), I passed no less than 100 short trailers on my way to the pick-up dock... then waited 30 minutes for them to bring out my skid and put it on my trailer. Maybe their excuse is being short-staffed - pretty sure I never saw more than 6 people in motion at a time in the half hour I was waiting, and this terminal has 213 bays.

That's not exactly Woodmaxx's fault, beyond them perhaps choosing carriers that are more consumer-friendly.

I *did* get some funny looks and comments related to my tow rig..
682468FF-9ED2-41D5-BB83-C4AAA15BF320_1_105_c.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca

PortTackFarm

Equipment
L3560 LE (ROP's) w/ LA805 FEL, LP RCF 2072, BB2572 and WoodMaxx WM-8H
Jul 2, 2021
The Ville and The Farm (KY)
I'm looking at a chipper and between on from Woodland Mills and WoodMaxx. Leaning toward the WoodMaxx WM-8H, but also considered the 8600. Why did you select the 8600 and did you consider the 8H?

Reactions: 1 user

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
I'm looking at a chipper and between on from Woodland Mills and WoodMaxx. Leaning toward the WoodMaxx WM-8H, but also considered the 8600. Why did you select the 8600 and did you consider the 8H?
I liked the 8600 design much better. Smaller footprint, fewer hoses dangling out in space, just overall looks like a better thought out design. The fact that the 8600 is made in USA is also a plus in my book.

Reactions: 1 user

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Get yourself one of these and avoid lose clothing!
Thanks, I have one of those for chainsawing.
I need to find a good snag-free long-sleeve shirt -- my arms are all scratched up from working in short sleeves.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Wow. I traded up from an 18hp DR manual-feed chipper, and this is not even playing the same game. Paying for the hydraulic feeder was *totally* worth the money. Can throw limbs in from 3' away instead of standing there feeding them in by hand the whole time. Probably 8-10X faster getting through a slash pile.

The hydrostatic feeder on the MX is really good. Nice to have the variable speed and instant direction changing.
The MX has very stout construction - the metal seems thick enough everywhere it should be.

(The biggest deficiency of the DR, for those interested, is that it had only 1 knife on the flywheel. Thus, the feed rate is really slow. This one was >15 years old; I think they've gone to a two-knife design for newer models.)

I did have to switch my 3pt to the inner arm holes to get it low enough to pick up the chipper from the ground. It was a little nervous driving around my very hilly property with that load on the back, but the LX did great. I was able to go everywhere I could reasonably expect to (3" rear spacers installed for the summer).

View attachment 81761
Nice you up in Boulder Canyon or Heights? We had a place there for a decade. In Red Feather Lakes now. I have a Woodland Mills WC88, also a beast of a chipper. I do throw 8 inch logs in it...chews them up really well!

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Thanks, I have one of those for chainsawing.
I need to find a good snag-free long-sleeve shirt -- my arms are all scratched up from working in short sleeves.
For shirts I like the Nike dry-fit long sleeve or something similar with SPF in the summer. They wick moisture really well. So much better than a button down.

Last edited:

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Nice you up in Boulder Canyon or Heights? We had a place there for a decade. In Red Feather Lakes now. I have a Woodland Mills WC88, also a beast of a chipper. I do throw 8 inch logs in it...chews them up really well!
Heights. Peakview Rd. Moved in Sept 2020 and still a couple acres to mitigate, so there will be plenty of chipping to do for a while.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
8 inch logs with only 19 PTO HP? WC88 says 35HP at PTO. I doubt the construction is much different...so why double the HP for the same size logs? Something isnt right.