Lifting 5gal cans of diesel fuel a problem

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Lifting 5 gallons of diesel use to be a major problem, now it's paying for 5 gallons of diesel, even if you put in into 2 1/2 gallon containers!:unsure:

• Angry
Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
It doesn't matter how easy it is to pump diesel into the tractor, it's PAYING for it at the pump that's the PAIN !!!
$2.40 here now, expect $2.65 mid July.... Too bad Canada doesn't have any oil in the ground....
You do. You ship it to the lower 48 for refining. Via Rail. Ask the Native Americans who are fighting a pipeline.

But seriously… you must be pricing it per liter? …because last Fall I paid $2.56 per U.S. Gallon locally (central Tx) and the price is now above $3.25 and expected to go above $4/gal due to the war in Ukraine.
Personally, while I don’t like to waste money…. I am perfectly willing to pay $5/gal or more as my contribution to peace. And F#(k Putin! I’m tired of all the whining about a 30% increase in fuel prices. Think about what the Ukrainians are having to put up with!

Robert, how do you refill your 5 gal can? Do you take it to the public pump and fill it and then transport it home in personal vehicle? Do you have any difficulties in lifting it during those times?
At the rate you report, you’re using 200+ gallons/year and could consider a seriously sophisticated storage tank and delivery. In my area, the local supplier will deliver 200 gals or more with no addt’l charge. By purchasing dyed (off road) diesel ….instead of retail-at-the-pump …you will easily pay for the system in 5 years or less.

I made my own system using an old propane tank and common plumbing hardware, plus a fuel-hose/nozzle. I run it by pressurizing the tank with shop air to about 10 p.s.i. and fill my tractor as easily as if it were at a public station.

Here’s a link to the post: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/...your-refueling-setup.29684/page-7#post-247691

Last edited:

Dcguinn

Equipment
BX2380, LA344, 54” MMM, 26BX Bagger, Tiller RTA1242, Forks PFL2042, Grapple mine
Sep 1, 2021
Ellijay GA
I am looking for advise on fuel transfer pumps. It is becoming difficult for me to lift 5 gal cans to fill my tractor (B2601) I would like one with a discharge hose long enough to reach from ground to fill cap on hood. I use about 10-15 gal a month so I do not want to get 55 gal drums and just looking for something to help me fuel the tractor without the heavy lifting.
I just got a pump from Amazon, uses D batteries; works fine with the fuel on the ground.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Lifting the can hasn't become a problem for me.....at least not yet.
But I set a pad on the hood and use a manual siphon pump to transfer instead of pouring it.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I was given a 30 gallon tank on wheels for gas, now I just have to figure out a pump for it. It has a pump, but not quite sure what to do with it yet as far as mounting and powering it. It is also nearly full of gas.

robert2601

Aug 18, 2021
Afton,Tn
I was given a 30 gallon tank on wheels for gas, now I just have to figure out a pump for it. It has a pump, but not quite sure what to do with it yet as far as mounting and powering it. It is also nearly full of gas.
Tractor Supply has a good variety but a little bit pricey

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: But seriously… you must be pricing it per liter?

yes, in Canada,eh ! where everything is reported in metric EXCEPT bad guys height and weights.....

Currently $2.05 per litre x 4 = $8 a US gallon, xchange makes it around $7 US / USG, more or less...
bound to shoot up this weekend, after the election of course...

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Well, yesterday I went to fill up my two 5 gallon jugs of diesel, to be ready, since we might be getting some bad weather this weekend. I felt pretty good about myself since after pumping both jugs I managed to lift them both and carry them to the back of the truck. Obviously, to lift them to up to the bed of the truck was one a the time. When I got home, I was disappointed, one jug was 3/4 full and the other was not up to 5 gallon mark. And before going to bed, I had to take some muscle relaxers because everything was hurting.o_O

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
I saw a post somewhere that I thought to be the ultimate solution. They had a small trailer with a 40 gallon transfer tank and pump mounted. They just pulled the trailer to fill the tank, park the trailer, and drive the tractor to the mobile filling station.
130 gallon farm diesel in the front, 50 gallon unleaded in the back.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
130 gallon farm diesel in the front, 50 gallon unleaded in the back.

I have that same 50 gal tank, it say's it's not rated for combustibles, how did you make it safe?

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Use a Sharpie to cross out the word "not".

• Wow
  • Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users

hope to float

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450
Feb 18, 2018
Ireland
If you have pallet forks you don't really need a pump. Mount the delivery pipe low on the side of the tank and just put it somewhere high and let gravity do the work

ahddib

Equipment
L2501, 5' bushhog, FEL w/ bucket and Grapple, and post hole digger.
Jun 7, 2022
Alabama
Hello Robert,
I have the same tractor as you.
Im 70 now and it’s not a easy task to lift a full 5gal can Up on the tractor.
Just built this little transfer pump to do the job when I get tired of lifting.
Runs off a 12 volt DC supply (Battery charger).
Hose length is 4.5’ long.
Its rated at 30 gph so maybe 9-10 minutes to do the transfer😳.
In no hurry as I’m retired and have all the time in the world. 😜
Cheap to make.
Like someone else mentioned, transferring from a 5 gal to a 2 gal would be another option.
Do you have a parts list? I'd like to do something similar.

Nafterclifen

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jun 7, 2022
Pocono's, PA
I have yet to fill a tractor but when I need to, I plan on using a Super Siphon (aka Safety Siphon). I've used these siphons countless times to pull fuel from a 5 gallon pail into a zero turn, excavator, etc. Also to remove fuel from tanks in some instances. The trick is to have the pail higher than the tank. Maybe put the pail in the FEL and raise it. Not sure if that's feasible or not. I'll eventually find out once I finally pickup my 2601, hopefully sometime this month.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
I have yet to fill a tractor but when I need to, I plan on using a Super Siphon (aka Safety Siphon). I've used these siphons countless times to pull fuel from a 5 gallon pail into a zero turn, excavator, etc. Also to remove fuel from tanks in some instances. The trick is to have the pail higher than the tank. Maybe put the pail in the FEL and raise it. Not sure if that's feasible or not. I'll eventually find out once I finally pickup my 2601, hopefully sometime this month.

Since the original post was about lifting a 5 gallon container, the product that you are selling doesn't help those that want to keep lifting to a minimum.

Nafterclifen

Equipment
2019 B2601 TLB
Jun 7, 2022
Pocono's, PA
Since the original post was about lifting a 5 gallon container, the product that you are selling doesn't help those that want to keep lifting to a minimum.
I'm not selling anything. I simply made a suggestion to use a product to help in the process of fueling a tractor since many people were complaining about not being able to lift or hold 5 gallons of fuel.

Thanks for the warm welcome though.

ACDII

Equipment
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
The pump on a 50 gallon transfer tank is probably the best thing I put together in a long time. Used it 3 times already to fill both tractors, and even popping the hood to hook up the power and all that, done in minutes what took 10-15 and struggled to not spill anything. Sure beats hauling 5 gallon cans around to the station. Now to get the 30 gallon gas tank working so we can fill our gas powered stuff, between 2 generators, the mower, chipper, and powerwasher, not to mention the 2 stroke stuff, we go through a bit of gas every year.