Stingy on fuel

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
Up to 12 gallons now at 32.7 and full to bottom of fill tube: 0.014 gph/engine hp. This is versus 0.025 gph/engine hp for 3 Yanmar JDs.

Reactions: 1 user

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Up to 12 gallons now at 32.7 and full to bottom of fill tube: 0.014 gph/engine hp. This is versus 0.025 gph/engine hp for 3 Yanmar JDs.
There's a guy that calls in on the local talk radio station, says he's got a car that gets 100 miles/gal. You may know him? :)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I'd rather have his car. Hope his records are as good as mine.

Most of you are foolishly embarrassed because you have no idea how much fuel your tractor uses.

• Haha

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Most of you are foolishly embarrassed because you have no idea how much fuel your tractor uses.
There has never been 2 hours of use by me that are exactly the same. When the fuel gauge shows low, I cover my face in shame and fill it up.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa

Couldn't care less how much fuel gets used. When it's empty I fill it up. Beets using a shovel and wheelbarrow.

Reactions: 5 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City

Ralph, see the sentence I put it bold black? I'm not embarrassed by fuel usage or rate of usage, I just use equipment as needed and fuel as needed and never measure amount of work done in relation to fuel used. No emotion involved!

If that's a serious statement I do feel sorry for your need to know!!

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
nope.
I know how much my B2601 used and LX uses, but then again I put the thing to work, so it actually burns fuel, about a tank a day, good enough for me. Think of all the money down the drain, the humanity!

Reactions: 2 users

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
I am stealing this and will modify it as needed to fit various scenarios.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
you go Ralphva dont listen to the nay sayers when diesel gets to 10.00 a gal many more will start measuring and conserving. At $2.00 a lt I am shutting my tractor off if longer that a couple of minutes. I have not put my third jug in yet and have 30 hours on my b2301. I have been grappleing and using the back hoe. It must me the new models that have the super fuel economy option installed. (y)

I find your fuel report interesting and will let you know when I add the next jug.

• Haha

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
you go Ralphva dont listen to the nay sayers when diesel gets to 10.00 a gal many more will start measuring and conserving. At $2.00 a lt I am shutting my tractor off if longer that a couple of minutes. I have not put my third jug in yet and have 30 hours on my b2301. I have been grappleing and using the back hoe. It must me the new models that have the super fuel economy option installed. (y)

I find your fuel report interesting and will let you know when I add the next jug.
Just to clarify my thoughts. If you can't afford to put fuel in it, you should sell it. I don't care if it hogs 5 gallons an hour if it saves my back and gets the work done faster. Gotta pay to play. Same as everyone else. Since I can remember fuel prices have more then quadrupled. Still driving and still putting fuel in my equipment. Interesting metrics, sure. Saying everyone should care is foolish.

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
While I’m in the camp of just filling it up when it’s empty, I have kept track of every gallon of fuel that I have put into it from day 1. Just because that’s the way I am. This is a page from my tractor log book that shows for my B2650HSDC, using it from just driving it, to backhoe use , to snow blowing, to just sitting at an idle, I have averaged 2.27 hours per gallon over the 424 hours that I’ve used it.

Now, is this a good or bad average hours per gallon, I don’t know, or care. It’s just a number, and doesn’t keep me from doing what I want when I want to get the job done.
2E828552-67B0-44C0-8664-BA5D9E190726.jpeg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
My goal is to not run the engine out of fuel. Whatever I'm doing, what ever the amount of fuel is, doesn't matter at all.

I just sold a PU I owned for 10 years. Never wrote down and calculated the MPG, ever. Didn't matter. I needed a vehicle to get somewhere and/or haul something. I put gas in it to get it done! I did write down the odometer reading everyday I left for tax records. Do that on my other trucks also.

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
While I’m in the camp of just filling it up when it’s empty, I have kept track of every gallon of fuel that I have put into it from day 1. Just because that’s the way I am. This is a page from my tractor log book that shows for my B2650HSDC, using it from just driving it, to backhoe use , to snow blowing, to just sitting at an idle, I have averaged 2.27 hours per gallon over the 424 hours that I’ve used it.

Now, is this a good or bad average hours per gallon, I don’t know, or care. It’s just a number, and doesn’t keep me from doing what I want when I want to get the job done. View attachment 78730
I think this is great and I am doing the same. thank you for the information

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville

Now, is this a good or bad average hours per gallon, I don’t know, or care. It’s just a number, and doesn’t keep me from doing what I want when I want to get the job done. View attachment 78730
That's good: 0.44 gph. Right between what I'm seeing on the B2601 and the 3 JDs.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
You guys keep track of some things that don't matter! If fuel usage is too costly are you selling your rig or just going to park it until prices come down?

If I was going to keep track of something I'd keep track of engine hours on the hour meter then divide that into the money received for the job and end up with income per engine hour!!

top gnome

Equipment
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
I do not care at all how other people spend their money. I know my wife and I started with nothing she clipped coupons for decades, we conserved and lived below our means often worked 70 hour weeks. . It was not a hardship it was revealing. We were able to work at will at the age of 50 and still be generous when needed. We live in paradise. This tractor was our first new tractor and really first decadent purchase that was a want and not a need. When I needed a tractor in the past I purchased tractors that were older than I am with all that goes with that. I understand and appreciate the wanting to know what it is costing to run the tractor and may use mine more now that I know I can expect to use about a 1/2 gal an hour. thank you Ralphva and Deepwoods. We are at the point in our lives where the cost of fuel for the tractor probably does not matter but still like knowing. I do not see a downside to conserving there is always an opportunity cost.

I do also keep track of the jobs I do and assign a value if I had to hire it done.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The only time I did 'fuel calculations' was flying the twin Beech on floats. Would 'do the numbers' twice then once again, cause there weren't any gas stations on the remote lakes. Flying with one prop feathered isn't much fun, landing on the river even less.
As for diesel, I just never,ever let the tank go below a 1/4. Some engines are 'fun' to properly prime and get running .

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
You guys keep track of some things that don't matter! If fuel usage is too costly are you selling your rig or just going to park it until prices come down?

If I was going to keep track of something I'd keep track of engine hours on the hour meter then divide that into the money received for the job and end up with income per engine hour!!
Does matter. I've kept track of fuel consumption on every engine except small lawn mowers my whole life. Got them all on one Excel spreadsheet with different sheets for each vehicle/engine.

We engineers had about a 50/50 mix of carbureted gas engines and diesel engines in the 80s. We recorded 30 ton-mpg for the carbed gas engines and 45 ton-mpg for our diesel engines. That would be about what it would be today in comparing gas engined tractors or lawn machines vs. diesel because the majority of gas engined tractors, etc. still use the old inefficient carbs.

Then there are those of you with SUVs who absolutely don't care about our planet at all.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd like to think all of us care about the planet BUT when a very, very small , select few are overly burdened by absurd rules and regs for 'air pollution' while the REST of the World isn't, it's clear that THEY should change THEIR 'rules and regs'.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
Some disingenuity going on in here. If peeps REALLY cared about the planet they'd cut their grass with goats.

And live in a mud hut with no electricity.

Reactions: 3 users