Ordered a flail mower.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I ordered a flail mower today and hopefully it's as good as it's reported to be. I'll use it a few times before I decide whether or not to sell the RCR1884 rotary cutter. The mower is in stock and ready to ship which is a bit surprising. Shipping to MT is only $80 and it should be here the first week of April at the latest.

Anyone using a flail mower, and if so, do you have any tips/tricks?

Thanks.

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
what did you get?
you may end up keeping both, each have their niche

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
what did you get?
you may end up keeping both, each have their niche
I was wondering about that. I may end keeping both, it just depends on how well the flail mower works on my property.

I ordered a Del Morino Centurion Super 158. I like the offset feature and the ability to cut embankments which is another feature I can really use. There are lots of area I can't cut with the rotary cutter. Total weight is supposedly 820lb and I opted for the hammers rather than the Y blades. I figure that the hammers will hold up better to the conditions I typically encounter.

IMG_3081.jpg

IMG_1538-1.jpg

IMG_1540-1.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think a flail beats a rotary hands down.
Much better on rocks, stumps and such.

As far as setup goes, the one failure I have seen done is not setting the attack angle right, it needs to roll on the roller not drag the skis / sides.

Hammers do a better overall job, where Y blades cut fine grass better.
And very carful setting the length of the PTO, too long and it can smash the case / PTO drive on the tractor.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana

As far as setup goes, the one failure I have seen done is not setting the attack angle right, it needs to roll on the roller not drag the skis / sides.

Hammers do a better overall job, where Y blades cut fine grass better.
And very carful setting the length of the PTO, too long and it can smash the case / PTO drive on the tractor.
Thanks for the comments and advice. I've never had to set the length of the PTO shaft before if that's what you mean. The Land Pride mower and snow blower I use have a slip joint in the middle of the PTO shaft so is the flail set up different?

I've watched some YouTube reviews of flail mowers and supposedly they're faster over the ground, and I'm pleased to hear that they're better than rotary cutters when it comes to rocks, stumps, high-centering etc.

I sent a text to the firefighter who bought the open station MX and he's interested in the RCR1884 so I told him we'll talk about it when he picks the tractor up this summer. Hopefully by then I will have figured out whether or not to keep it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
meh, it depends ^^ imo

If I am cutting somewhere that I don't know what debris might be present, rocks, large chunks of wood, limbs, I typically use the brush hog. I would rather smash the brush hog blade into a hidden stump or rock than drive over it with the flail. A flail could pick up objects and jam them between the drum and the body, it's not fun, and damaging one isn't cheap.

In areas where I am familiar with the grounds, and know they are clear (for the most part) I pick the flail. It does a wonderful job cutting, mulching (everything in its path) that it is capable of eating up. You are going to love the cut it does, even with hammers, it's almost like a finish mower compared to a brush hog :)

@mcmxi that is a super nice unit. I am eager to hear and see some pictures when you unleash it behind your new MX.

Reactions: 1 users

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Please report after using. I want one so bad to mow some hillside next to right of way but a little skeptical.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
meh, it depends ^^ imo

If I am cutting somewhere that I don't know what debris might be present, rocks, large chunks of wood, limbs, I typically use the brush hog. I would rather smash the brush hog blade into a hidden stump or rock than drive over it with the flail. A flail could pick up objects and jam them between the drum and the body, it's not fun, and damaging one isn't cheap.

In areas where I am familiar with the grounds, and know they are clear (for the most part) I pick the flail. It does a wonderful job cutting, mulching (everything in its path) that it is capable of eating up. You are going to love the cut it does, even with hammers, it's almost like a finish mower compared to a brush hog :)

@mcmxi that is a super nice unit. I am eager to hear and see some pictures when you unleash it behind your new MX.
I'll definitely report back once I've received it, and then after I've used it. I should be cutting the field in a few weeks. How are flails in tall grass? Would you expect the 3ft high stuff shown below to be a challenge?

I do like that the hammers should be much easier to sharpen or replace compared to the blades on the rotary cutter. Access appears to be easy with the mower vertical. It's a bit of a pain to remove the blades on the RCR1884. I bought one of those Milwaukee M18 impacts recently, in part to make it easier to remove/install the rotary cutter blades since my old IR 1/2" impact struggles with that.

lvr_mx_07.jpg

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I use a torque multiplier to replace the blades, they are cheaper to replace than repairing the flail.

Monitor belt tension on the new flail.

you are going to love it for tall grass, to me it really shines in overgrown grass compaired to the brush hog. No more pushing the grass over, and clumps. The flail is gonna eat it up and leave you with an awesome cut.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I use a torque multiplier to replace the blades, they are cheaper to replace than repairing the flail.

Monitor belt tension on the new flail.

you are going to love it for tall grass, to me it really shines in grass over the brush hog. No more pushing the grass over, and clumps. The flail is gonna eat it up and leave you with an awesome cut.
OK ... now I'm officially excited. I've only been able to find a user manual for the Flipper model but it does delve into checking PTO shaft length and cutting if necessary. It also details how to set it up for optimal cutting, adjust the belts, replace hammer/blades etc.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Fine looking attachment. Good luck with it and checking that pto shaft length is very important :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That, is a very nice unit.

I don't think you'll have any issue in tall grass with your HP. Just don't cut in reverse (if you can help it). Rather, if you need to get up against obstacles, raise the flail and back up. Then drop the flail and move forward.

I have a light duty smaller unit with hammers...and it does quite the job.

Flailing weeds.JPG

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
You'll also want to check and reset the drive belt tension after some use (per the manuals timeline). You might also want to have a spare set of belts and a few spare hammers on hand....just in case. Before you ask me how I know.........check out My Flail Mower Oops :oops:

That looks like a fantastic flail mower setup!!

Last edited:

minthral

Equipment
Kubota L47
Nov 22, 2021
NC
I looked into offset flail mower and it was reason why I got 2 rear remotes.

After I was using the tractor, I decided against it and instead went with rotary cutter. Reasons as to why:

- A nice heavy duty rotary cutter cost 2.5k, but a nice hydraulic offset flail mower cost 6-7.5k
- When using the tractor, I don't care about 'finish mower cut quality' and have a dedicated finish mower machine for that that will always do better anyway
- The idea of maintenance of many tiny hammers of y blades isn't appealing vs grinder sharpening 2 blades
- I think of my tractor more for heavy duty stuff like knocking down saplings or small trees (or brush) rather than overgrown grass, which I can do with my finish mower (axe vs knife)
- Operating an offset attachment located on the rear of the tractor (that's hydraulically controlled) takes too much effort and neck turning on the go...having cutter lined up with wheels and focused driving forward knowing you're clearing obstacles is far more relaxing
- Using rear remote controls to constantly adjust rear offset mower would be tedious from an ergonomics standpoint
- For the money, I'd rather have front mounted offset rotary cutter (Hardee brush tiger) to deal with side growth on trails or pond/road banks

Last edited:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
You'll also want to check and reset the drive belt tension after some use (per the manuals timeline). You might also want to have a spare set of belts and a few spare hammers on hand....just in case. Before you ask me how I know.........check out My Flail Mower Oops :oops:

That looks like a fantastic flail mower setup!!
@bird dogger , your thread on the belt issues and your corn field were a good read. Your mower does a great job on those corn stalks. I'll be sure to check all three belts as mentioned in the manual.

I'll look into ordering a spare belt or two and some extra hammers. If I need to build up the cutting edge I'd most likely use 7018 rod but it would be good to have extras on hand so that I don't have to stop and fix in the middle of cutting.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I looked into offset flail mower and it was reason why I got 2 rear remotes.

After I was using the tractor, I decided against it and instead went with rotary cutter. Reasons as to why:

- A nice heavy duty rotary cutter cost 2.5k, but a nice hydraulic offset flail mower cost 6-7.5k
- When using the tractor, I don't care about 'finish mower cut quality' and have a dedicated finish mower machine for that that will always do better anyway
- The idea of maintenance of many tiny hammers of y blades isn't appealing vs grinder sharpening 2 blades
- I think of my tractor more for heavy duty stuff like knocking down saplings or small trees (or brush) rather than overgrown grass, which I can do with my finish mower (axe vs knife)
- Operating an offset attachment located on the rear of the tractor (that's hydraulically controlled) takes too much effort and neck turning on the go...having cutter lined up with wheels and focused driving forward knowing you're clearing obstacles is far more relaxing
- Using rear remote controls to constantly adjust rear offset mower would be tedious from an ergonomics standpoint
- For the money, I'd rather have front mounted offset rotary cutter (Hardee brush tiger) to deal with side growth on trails or pond/road banks
Good points. As @B737 said, rotary cutters have their place and I'll need to figure out whether I want or need to have $4k tied up in an implement that I might not use much in the future.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Used what I would call an identical flail but branded ferri. Sold by messicks. Used it with a new Holland t4.75. Biggest hunk of junk I ever mowed with. It did get used hard every summer. 65 miles of road x both directions oluse mowing at a few of the parks. Had constant issues with roller bearings, and the housing cracking. Pto mount actually cracked and tore the box right off the side of the unit once. Took it to a weld shop and had them fix it. Prolly used it harder then most would use a flail mower but it was what they bought and the tractor was too small to run a rotary boom mower. The hydraulic arm and angle were great.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Used what I would call an identical flail but branded ferri. Sold by messicks. Used it with a new Holland t4.75. Biggest hunk of junk I ever mowed with. It did get used hard every summer. 65 miles of road x both directions oluse mowing at a few of the parks. Had constant issues with roller bearings, and the housing cracking. Pto mount actually cracked and tore the box right off the side of the unit once. Took it to a weld shop and had them fix it. Prolly used it harder then most would use a flail mower but it was what they bought and the tractor was too small to run a rotary boom mower. The hydraulic arm and angle were great.
Interesting. Ferri appears to be another Italian manufacturer of flail mowers along with the likes of Machinio and Del Morino. If you look at Ferri's website they appear to make some serious agricultural grade products. For some reason the Italians seem to have a thing for flail mowers.

I ordered a Centurion Super which according to Del Morino is "a practical, multipurpose flail mower ... for the professional farmer." At 820 lb it's not the same thing as a Flipper Super, Victor, or Levante which can weigh more than twice that and are "suitable for professional, heavy, duty use." It does sound like you used or would have needed a professional grade model for the tasks you mention. From everything I've read and seen so far, the Del Morino Centurion Super is a really good flail mower and I have no doubt that it will hold up to my needs which is a far cry from industrial use, and not even up to requirements of a "professional farmer".

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Interesting. Ferri appears to be another Italian manufacturer of flail mowers along with the likes of Machinio and Del Morino. If you look at Ferri's website they appear to make some serious agricultural grade products. For some reason the Italians seem to have a thing for flail mowers.

I ordered a Centurion Super which according to Del Morino is "a practical, multipurpose flail mower ... for the professional farmer." At 820 lb it's not the same thing as a Flipper Super, Victor, or Levante which can weigh more than twice that and are "suitable for professional, heavy, duty use." It does sound like you used or would have needed a professional grade model for the tasks you mention. From everything I've read and seen so far, the Del Morino Centurion Super is a really good flail mower and I have no doubt that it will hold up to my needs which is a far cry from industrial use, and not even up to requirements of a "professional farmer".
Yeah like I said it was 65 miles of road x 2. Plus mowing at 3 parks. It got used weekly over the sumer mowing season. There was another local township that had one on a deere and had similar issues. I doubt it will be an issue for most as it got used pretty hard. I always assumed the township purchased it because of the smaller tractors they had. Ironically we seldom had to change hammers on it, never had issue with the bearings on the flail shaft and the gear box it's self was bullet proof. I wish I had my old phone to share some of the repairs that were done on it.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yeah like I said it was 65 miles of road x 2. Plus mowing at 3 parks. It got used weekly over the sumer mowing season. There was another local township that had one on a deere and had similar issues. I doubt it will be an issue for most as it got used pretty hard. I always assumed the township purchased it because of the smaller tractors they had. Ironically we seldom had to change hammers on it, never had issue with the bearings on the flail shaft and the gear box it's self was bullet proof. I wish I had my old phone to share some of the repairs that were done on it.
It would have been interesting to see some photos. Do you remember the model? Given that the tractors weren't very big maybe the mowers were sized accordingly and weren't intended for industrial/professional/heavy duty use. Just guessing here.

I've only got 20 acres to cut and another 12 or so at a friend's place and neither of our fields require an industrial grade machine. We do have some awkward banks, slopes etc., which will be possible now with the boom and angling cutting head. Supposedly I'll be able to cut the top of the bank along the driveway which will be a huge upgrade and might enable me to keep the weeds down.

Last edited: