Rear PTO noisy when engaged

Moosebiker

Equipment
Kubota l3301,la525 loader, bush hog,box blade, trim mower,blade,3 point backhoe
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
Hi all new guy here I've got a kubota l3301 tractor I also have a 3 point backhoe I use around the house, yesterday I hooked it up and engaged the pto let out the clutch and heard a not good sound like a bang then the pro started making noise metal clicking . As soon as I disengage the pto it fine. The strange part is if the pto is engaged and making noise if I use any of the Hydraulics on the on the backhoe the noise stops completely.

20220319_094316.jpg
So it's noisy when engaged not noisy when disengaged and not noisy when there a load on it?
Any ideas I've done all the normal check for oil look for any obvious things broke loose leaking etc. Tractor is used very lightly in 1 years or so I've put maybe 100 hours on it. It has total maybe 650 or 700 hours total.
Thanks Clayton

Last edited by a moderator:

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
And with nothing connected it still makes noise when pto is engaged.

Last edited by a moderator:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you engage the PTO does it feel like a solid engagement?
It should "snap into a detent"
If not could be a linkage / lever issue.
If it's under warranty take it in.

Reactions: 1 user

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Hello Wolfman,

Any possibility that Moosebiker is hearing gear lash? Straight cut gears can make a sound like clinking metal, especially at lower RPM. The noise diminishes as the RPMs go up, especially with the PTO under load. I am not an expert here, I was just wondering??

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Sorry about the double reply, I hit the wrong key

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
Hi
Yes it goes right in like new no grinding no noise then release the clutch it clatter but if you say engage the outriggers on the backhoe the noise stops. I took off backhoe still noise. Weird that making Hydraulics on the backhoe move stops noise from pto?? And I checked today just over 300 hrs on tractor

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hello Wolfman,

Any possibility that Moosebiker is hearing gear lash? Straight cut gears can make a sound like clinking metal, especially at lower RPM. The noise diminishes as the RPMs go up, especially with the PTO under load. I am not an expert here, I was just wondering??
Yep anything is possible. ;)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi
Yes it goes right in like new no grinding no noise then release the clutch it clatter but if you say engage the outriggers on the backhoe the noise stops. I took off backhoe still noise. Weird that making Hydraulics on the backhoe move stops noise from pto?? And I checked today just over 300 hrs on tractor
Noise is subjective.
Make a video of it doing it and not doing it, post it on You tube, then give us a link to see / Hear it.

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
H
O
I disconnected the cable and engaged it by hand sill made noises completely engaged

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Just did it thanks
Moosebiker, your noise sure sounds like gear lash to me. I am not an expert by any means, but I do know this. Straight cut gears need more room between teeth for engagement than do bias cut gears, and they make noise at low RPM. My B2650 make the same kind of sound when the PTO is engaged with no implement attached. I sent it to the dealer because I was concerned, and wanted it looked at while still under drive train warranty. The verdict was that wasn't a problem, what I was hearing was normal gear lash. I will be interested to read what the real knowledgeable guys say.

One question though. Does the noise diminish as you push the RPM's up?

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
HI
T
Moosebiker, your noise sure sounds like gear lash to me. I am not an expert by any means, but I do know this. Straight cut gears need more room between teeth for engagement than do bias cut gears, and they make noise at low RPM. My B2650 make the same kind of sound when the PTO is engaged with no implement attached. I sent it to the dealer because I was concerned, and wanted it looked at while still under drive train warranty. The verdict was that wasn't a problem, what I was hearing was normal gear lash. I will be interested to read what the real knowledgeable guys say.

Thanks for the reply. The only difference in noise is when it's under a load or not engaged at all. If you Rev it up while engaged same noise. It just happened the year since I owned it. it's never made the noise before

I hooked up the backhoe engaged pto heard a loud clunk I've never heard before and this is where I'm at now.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
HI
T

Thanks for the reply. The only difference in noise is when it's under a load or not engaged at all. If you Rev it up while engaged same noise. It just happened the year since I owned it. it's never made the noise before

I hooked up the backhoe engaged pto heard a loud clunk I've never heard before and this is where I'm at now.
Well, good luck with it. Please let us know the resolution of the issue. Sorry that I couldn't be more help, but there are some very knowledgeable on this forum (North Idaho Wolfman is one of them), and they will help you get it figured out.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm saying something is broken, it's making far too much noise.
Off the top of my head, I would say a broken tooth, bad bearing, or broken one way clutch.

Reactions: 1 users

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
HI
T

Thanks for the reply. The only difference in noise is when it's under a load or not engaged at all. If you
I'm saying something is broken, it's making far too much noise.
Off the top of my head, I would say a broken tooth, bad bearing, or broken one way clutch.
Thanks

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
Ok everyone thanks for the help. I'm a retired mechanic so I know without taking it apart you will not know the extent of the damage.
But what would you say best case maybe just a gear needs replaced or a bearing.

And worst case it's completely shot needs trans/pto complete replaced or rebuild

What kind of money from a kubota shop would I expect to pay roughly ballpark.

I'm not sure if it's worth fixing the pto or just run it the way it is and find another alternative to using my attachments.

Maybe buy a cheap 2 wheel drive old Ford or something for a grand Instead of put $4000 or $5000 into the kubota and just second tractor for the attachments and use the kubota for all the loader type stuff.
Thanks all

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I personally would pull the back cover and pull the PTO shaft out and inspect that bearing.
It would need to be split at the front of the rear end to get to the one way clutch, but that's not that hard to do.

Moosebiker

Equipment
Mar 21, 2022
Florida
Hi
I found out 2 things today kubota rears have a shit load of oil and hay makes a great substitute for stay dry even you run out. I pulled the cover and shaft everything to the naked eye appears fine no missing teeth no tore up spline.

20220326_080645.jpg
20220326_080600.jpg

Attachments