L-2201 Engine Oil Capacity HELP!!

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Heathcote, VIC, Australia
Hi there,

I'm brand new to this forum and located in Australia--and yes, it looks like I have a grey L2201DT. This is a lovely little tractor (we call him Sid) but the only manual I have is a battered photocopy for an L245. We acquired the tractor with the olive farm we bought in central Victoria (that's a State, folks).

I've seen some articles about similarities between the 245 and 2201 but I went to change the oil today--hasn't been done in five years it turns out--and I think the similarities may have ended.

The 245 manual states that the crankcase takes around 6 litres of oil, but I only got about half that out of it. OK, perhaps it's used a heap of oil and this job is seriously overdue after all. I put 6 litres in and the oil level is waayyy up the dipstick so I thought I'd better stop there and get help. Since the 245 manual is also telling me the transmission takes 23 litres, things get a bit scary...though that could be the right amount for all I know.

Does anyone know the _right_ amount of oil to put in the crankcase and transmission, and does anyone know why those b*****ds at Kubota won't post PDFs of their manuals on the net? Even better, does anyone actually have a PDF of the correct manual for this most excellent tractor?

Since I need to slash the grove right now (we've had heavy rain and hot weather, the weeds are shoulder high), any help will be most appreciated as I'm more or less stuck unless I can get some right advice.

MrChuck

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Re: L2201 Oil Change

MrChuck, I'm not familiar with the 245 or 2201, but this reply will pitch it to the top of the heap and maybe someone who is familiar will respond! Good Luck!

MrChuck

Equipment
L2201DT
Nov 25, 2010
Heathcote, VIC, Australia
Re: L2201 Oil Change

Thank you Service Dept Vic! Interestingly, though, the L2201DT doesn't seem to exist according to the Capacities chart--nevertheless, I have one! However I see that between the F and the DT models the difference for the transmission is pretty consistently 1 extra litre in the DT, so that should be close enough.

This forum totally rocks.

Reactions: 1 user

buildspacetrains

Equipment
L2402dt
Nov 12, 2010
Melbourne Australia
Hi MrChuck,
Just been reading your post. I'm out in Redcastle (near Mt Camel on the Heathcote-Colbinabbin Rd. Small world a. I've got a L2402 DT tractor. Your right, this is a great website and I've learnt a lot about these Kubota's.
Cheers, Richard.

Attachments

Bramley farm

Equipment
Kubota L2201DT. 4' Fleming topper. Ifor williams trailer, front loader bucket.
Oct 10, 2015
Robertsbridge, Sussex, England
That's a useful table in the link.

I am a novice with a Kubota l2201dt. I'm not very machinery minded generally but I am fond of my tractor and expect to have to learn lots about looking after it, and using it.

I am having fun slashing around in 11 acres of 'abandoned' orchard. When it's safe and practical to walk around we can start on the trees. Apart from brambles etc, and elder trees (and low branches) there's a lot of dead sticks and branches on the ground. It is not light duty work for the tractor and topper.

Coolant. I have just lost all mine after a melee with an apple branch on the ground pulled off my fuel supply pipe and as far as i can make out so far turned on a wee tap and so expelled all the contents of the coolant system.

The charts provided by someone helpful say the system takes 6.6 litres of clean water. The orange tractor video says that what I want in it is half that and half whatever it's called additive- most vitally for anti-freeze function.

Any comments on the clean water advocated in the chart and the additive? Of course it can sometimes freeze an engine here so I would expect at least to deal with the anti-freeze aspect, bit it's only south east england so not seriously cold. Would I need to put in 50/50

Is there just a simple little tap that lets the coolant out? It is not something I have paid attention to before so I have to figure if all is well in that department or if it has had a bashing. It seems a bit loose and potentially leaky.

I have restarted the vehicle and brought it in but initially I went off not realising the coolant was gone and it stopped, so fingers crossed.

clay45

Equipment
L2050DT, TSC 5ft Rake, Tartar 5ft rototiller, TSC Middlebuster, TSC CarryAll
Feb 6, 2015
SC
Yep, same as what you'd put in your car.