B2601 review and thoughts

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Took a little long for me to reply but personally I wouldn't have loaded tires especially if mowing was my primary use. I don't mow with mine but yes a bit less air would help. You probably have worked out a partial solution by now or are getting used to it?
I reduced the pressure 15%. It might feel a little better. I will get used to to it. Its not such a big deal as I am only on it about an hour or so weekly. Thanks

Reactions: 1 user

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
I had spacers and filled tires on my B2601. I highly recommend both if you’re operating on hills.

Mike
Are the spacers a factory option?

Do you have spacers on all 4 wheels?

How thick are the spcaers?

I am assuming you meant wheel spacers to widen the stance?

jrsavoie

Equipment
2022 LX2610, 1963 JD4010, 1975 Ford backhoe, 1996 Toro 223D, 1999 Toro Groun325D
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
What did everybody get for lights. The salesman asked if we wanted a rear auxiliary light. We said yes.

Later he talked about a 2 light kit for the ROPS. Would that be BX7356A ?

I see another 2 light kit E1176

I also see a high capacity alternator. Is that standard?

I am guessing the grill gaurd is standard on a loader?

I saw a drawbar listed. Is there a standard drawbar that comes with the tractor?

Are there any options that we should consider??

B2601 HSD-1
Front Loader
Mid mount mower 60"
Landpride Quick Hitch QH15
2 lever quick coupler B1672
Heavy Hitch
4 suitcase weights
Landpride PFL1242

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
Are the spacers a factory option?

Do you have spacers on all 4 wheels?

How thick are the spcaers?

I am assuming you meant wheel spacers to widen the stance?
Kubota does offer wheel spacers but, they are thin and aren’t as effective as aftermarket options.

I only had wheel spacers on the rear wheels and it’s not advisable to add spacers on the front wheels.

I installed 2” wheel spacers which was the maximum width I could use with a 60” MMM. If I didn’t have the MMM, I would have gone 3”.

Yes, I added the wheel spacers to widen the stance and improve stability.

Mike

Reactions: 1 users

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
Where is the best place to buy wheel spacers?
In my limited wheel spacer on vehicle experience - steel wheel spacers were the way to go. Is that true on the B2601s as well?

Why is it not advisable to add spacers on the front wheels?
I would think spacing the fronts equal to the rears would minimize the tricycle effect of widening only the rears. I am completely new to the Kubota world.

I read about ride issues. Are there aftermarket seats to fix that?

I have several bulging discs and expect more related issues in the probably not so distant future.

Kubota does offer wheel spacers but, they are thin and aren’t as effective as aftermarket options.

I only had wheel spacers on the rear wheels and it’s not advisable to add spacers on the front wheels.

I installed 2” wheel spacers which was the maximum width I could use with a 60” MMM. If I didn’t have the MMM, I would have gone 3”.

Yes, I added the wheel spacers to widen the stance and improve stability.

Mike

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
Where is the best place to buy wheel spacers?
In my limited wheel spacer on vehicle experience - steel wheel spacers were the way to go. Is that true on the B2601s as well?

Why is it not advisable to add spacers on the front wheels?
I would think spacing the fronts equal to the rears would minimize the tricycle effect of widening only the rears. I am completely new to the Kubota world.

I read about ride issues. Are there aftermarket seats to fix that?

I have several bulging discs and expect more related issues in the probably not so distant future.
Bora and Bro-tek are the most popular options. I went with Bora because I wanted steel spacers, not aluminum. I like steel because of the additional strength and weight. Plus, the Bora steel spacers didn’t require removing the OEM wheel studs so installation was easier.
Going with steel spacers does requires the extra step of painting before installation.

I don’t fully understand the science behind it, but, you get the majority of traction and stability from the rear of the tractor so adding spacers to the front isn’t required and isn’t worth the additional cost. Plus, for loader work, having front spacers places additional load and stress on the front axle.

There are aftermarket seat options. I’ve read that there are some good options but, they tend to be pretty pricey…

Mike

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
Bora and Bro-tek are the most popular options. I went with Bora because I wanted steel spacers, not aluminum. I like steel because of the additional strength and weight. Plus, the Bora steel spacers didn’t require removing the OEM wheel studs so installation was easier.
Going with steel spacers does requires the extra step of painting before installation.

I don’t fully understand the science behind it, but, you get the majority of traction and stability from the rear of the tractor so adding spacers to the front isn’t required and isn’t worth the additional cost. Plus, for loader work, having front spacers places additional load and stress on the front axle.

There are aftermarket seat options. I’ve read that there are some good options but, they tend to be pretty pricey…

Mike
The addition of spacerss to the front when you widen the back is to reduce the tricycle effect. Narrow front tractors are very tippy.

The older wide fronts of some makes of tractors could be be widened. I doubt the 4x4 fronts are set up for that.

As the back gets wider the tricycle effect gets worse

Are the Bora spacers hubcenctric? It looked like the aluminum spacers were.

What is pricey on the seat options?

I will see how things go with the seat. But one good jostle of the back and I can be down for a week

Last edited:

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
This B2601 has not felt tippy at all. It is only about 1 inch wider at the rear wheels than the feeling-tippy JD 2025R was.

MUCH more comfortable riding tractor than the 2025R. By comparison the lemony 1025R was in between the two. People complain about the seat on the B2601 (compared to say the LX2610's). I find it quite good.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
The addition of spacerss to the front when you widen the back is to reduce the tricycle effect. Narrow front tractors are very tippy.

The older wide fronts cobe bevwidened. I doubt the 4x4 fronts are set up for that.

As the back gets wider the tricycle effect gets worse

Are the Bora spacers hubcenctric? It looked like the aluminum spacers were.

What is pricey on the seat options?

I will see how things go with the seat. But one good jostle of the back and I can be down for a week
Makes sense. Although, once the rear spacers were installed, I didn’t have any issues with the tractor feeling tippy. They really made a significant improvement on my hilly property.

They are hubcentric and very high quality.

$500-1,200 for a seat.

Mike

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
What did everybody get for lights. The salesman asked if we wanted a rear auxiliary light. We said yes.

Later he talked about a 2 light kit for the ROPS. Would that be BX7356A ?

I see another 2 light kit E1176

I also see a high capacity alternator. Is that standard?

I am guessing the grill gaurd is standard on a loader?

I saw a drawbar listed. Is there a standard drawbar that comes with the tractor?

Are there any options that we should consider??

B2601 HSD-1
Front Loader
Mid mount mower 60"
2 lever quick coupler B1672
Heavy Hitch
4 suitcase weights
Landpride PFL1242
For worklights I got a 3-light set from Rops Lights out of Canada. They came pre-wired, just put them on the ROPS (they use ubolts) and ran the cable to my rear right fender plug. They came with nice, heavy duty zip ties, switch box etc.. Very bright and have worked very well for 2 summer/winters.

Are you getting a quick hitch? if you are getting all new equipment, they are a great investment.

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the suitcase weights for?

I second the steel wheel spacers, they made a world of difference for mine. I think I did 2.5 inch (I don't use a MMM) below is a shot of mid-way through the install so you can see the left vs right tire difference, then at the end with both installed.

20210411_111612.jpg
20210411_115430.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
For worklights I got a 3-light set from Rops Lights out of Canada. They came pre-wired, just put them on the ROPS (they use ubolts) and ran the cable to my rear right fender plug. They came with nice, heavy duty zip ties, switch box etc.. Very bright and have worked very well for 2 summer/winters.

Are you getting a quick hitch? if you are getting all new equipment, they are a great investment.

Sorry if I missed it, but what are the suitcase weights for?

I second the steel wheel spacers, they made a world of difference for mine. I think I did 2.5 inch (I don't use a MMM) below is a shot of mid-way through the install so you can see the left vs right tire difference, then at the end with both installed.

View attachment 75845 View attachment 75846
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, getting quick hitch. The suitcase weights go on the Landpride Heavy Hitch for ballast and loader counter weight.

This is my list thus far

We are in the midst of shopping for/buying. A B2601. It was suggested That We look at a B2650. - what is the difference between the 2?

Any advice on accessories and must haves would be appreciated.

I am not sure what is standard and what are options. Or what is particularly desirable or better left for later.

I am not the greatest at searching the internet so I am not sure of results I got previously.

We have 15 acres of crp, 2-1/2 acres each tillable and yard.

The Kubota will be mostly used for mowing 300 yards of ditch and auxiliary mowing. Pulling trailers and water tank tanks for watering the 1700 trees and shrubs as necessary.
A Toro 6 ft front deck mower with cozy can and snow blower.

A 1963 JD 4010 diesel wide front with 8 ft rototiller. But we may want a smaller tiller in the future.

We have a 1975 Ford Backhoe but it is often too heavy or awkward for light loader work

I saw high output alternator listed someplace. Is that what they call their standard alternator or is that an option? - desired option

Tool box?

Third function valves for front and rear hydraulics

Block heater?

4 suit case weights.

Heavy Hitch

Landpride Quick Hitch QH15 or Pat's Quick Hitch. $200 at farm stores.

Loader LA435

2 lever quick coupler B1673

60” quick attach bucket. B2372

Pallet Forks. Landpride PFL1242

Mid mount mower 60" RCK60-32

Rear aux Light

Lights for ROPS. BX 7356A. Is that the correct number?

Universal LED Light Kit 2 Lights E1176

Kubota Repair Manual - I have had one for all my other equipment and vehicles

Rear slow moving vehicle safety triangle

Last edited:

trueg50

Equipment
B2601
Jul 1, 2020
Vermont
Thanks for the replies.

Yes, getting quick hitch. The suitcase weights go on the Landpride Heavy Hitch for ballast and loader counter weight.

This is my list thus far.

We are in the midst of shopping for/buying. A B2601.

I am not sure what is standard and what are options. Or what is particularly desirable or better left for later.

I am not the greatest at searching the internet so I am not sure of results I got previously.

I saw high output alternator listed someplace. Is that what they call their standard alternator or is that an option?

Tool box?

Block heater?

4 suit case weights.

Heavy Hitch

Loader LA435

Mid mount mower 60"

Rear aux Light

Alternator: I think the high-output might be if you put a cab with heat/AC on.

Toolbox: if you look in my pictures, a 50 cal ammo can works fine to mount where the old one was.

Block heater: I highly recommend one if you live up north-ish

Weights: Are you getting anything on the 3pt? I've got a 60" box blade and just leave that on at all times. I work in the woods, etc.. and it works fine without being in the way.

Light wise I didn't go with the kubota ones because didn't look that great/bright (and might not have been LED), the "Rops lights' ones are much brighter and can be swiveled just about any way I need to if I'm working in the woods off the tractor at night. You can see them on my ROPS in the above picture (2 forward, 1 facing back). Big bonus points; the lights were 100% ready to rock an roll, all wired to the controller etc.. all I did was screw the lights onto the ROPS, run the cables, and plug it into the connected under the right fender.

Last edited:

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois

Toolbox: if you look in my pictures, a 50 cal ammo can works fine to mount where the old one was.

Weights: Are you getting anything on the 3pt? I've got a 60" box blade and just leave that on at all times. I work in the woods, etc.. and it works fine without being in the way.

Light wise I didn't go with the kubota ones because didn't look that great/bright (and might not have been LED), the "Rops lights' ones are much brighter and can be swiveled just about any way I need to if I'm working in the woods off the tractor at night. You can see them on my ROPS in the above picture (2 forward, 1 facing back). Big bonus points; the lights were 100% ready to rock an roll, all wired to the controller etc.. all I did was screw the lights onto the ROPS, run the cables, and plug it into the connected under the right fender.
I had edited but it didn't take.

We are in the midst of shopping for/buying. A B2601. It was suggested That We look at a B2650. - what is the difference between the 2?

We have 15 acres of crp, 2-1/2 acres each tillable and yard.

The Kubota will be mostly used for mowing 300 yards of ditch and auxiliary mowing. Pulling trailers and water tank tanks for watering the 1700 trees and shrubs as necessary.
A Toro 6 ft front deck mower with cozy can and snow blower.

A 1963 JD 4010 diesel wide front with 8 ft rototiller. But we may want a smaller tiller in the future.

We have a 1975 Ford Backhoe but it is often too heavy or awkward for light loader work

I saw high output alternator listed someplace. Is that what they call their standard alternator or is that an option? - desired option

Tool box?

Third function valves for front and rear hydraulics

Block heater?

4 suit case weights.

Heavy Hitch

Landpride Quick Hitch QH15 or Pat's Quick Hitch. $200 at farm stores.

Loader LA435

2 lever quick coupler B1673

60” quick attach bucket. B2372

Pallet Forks. Landpride PFL1242

Mid mount mower 60" RCK60-32

Rear aux Light

Is there a trailer towing plug kit? Seems they require lights on trailers and running gears now

Or a 12 volt outlet for the rear of the tractor to run stuff like our sprayer or seeder?

Last edited:

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois

Thanks. I have to verify if the lights are LED. I do not want anything but LED.

top gnome

Equipment
b2301 w bh fel grapple back blade snow plow forks
Dec 12, 2021
Fundy shore nova scotia
With all of those trees you may want to think about a 3d function and a grapple or a thumb for your pallet forks. A grapple makes limb cleanup easy.

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
With all of those trees you may want to think about a 3d function and a grapple or a thumb for your pallet forks. A grapple makes limb cleanup easy.
Lol. Right Now, the average tree height is about 4 ft.

We just planted seedlings 4 years ago.

I forgot about asking about a trailer tow kit when we bought. Looks like we will have to go with something recommended or just go to Shoups

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
I replaced the tool box with a bigger one from HF. Fits holes already there.

Removed the PTO cover and the drawbar.

Agree the fuel filter needs a guard.

Based on owning previously two 2 series JDs and one 1 series, here is how the B is so much better. Main thing worse is the reverse on the treadle.

Ways B2601 is better than JD 2 series

o Starts cold a lot better: no shudder/shake nor smoke..
o Float on FEL is very easily engaged, almost too easy.
o 2wd/4wd is so easy.
o Hydraulics are MUCH stronger. Flow is near 3 times but makes for a more jerky FEL use.
o Idles nicely at 1,100. The 1025R was abnoxious at 1,650; 2025R was 1,300.
o Drink holder is bigger than the joke one on the 2025R. Not sure it'll hold my little thermos. Put the Frontier doc holder top on the left side of the FEL tower as my drink holder.
o Parking brake is easier to disengage but seems a tad harder to engage.
o Guards to the valve stems.
o Metal covering over the driveshaft (JDs only have plastic)
o 3ph raises a tad higher
o The fuel cap actually screws on and off easier.
o The radiator overflow container is right in front and easy to get to. Needed a screwdriver to take the top off the one on the 2025R and a funnel with long snout to refill it. Then top was hard to put back on. Actually, the B’s is not much easier to get off, and a long snout funnel is needed on it.
o More room to get the end snorkel off the air cleaner.
o The brake pedal lock snaps off by tapping the pedals. Hard to get off at times on the JDs.
o Top link is really easy to turn, e.g. that grease point maybe. Actually smaller, too. The tilt one is also smaller and easy to turn if load is taken off it..
o Three position steering wheel.
o Of course, 3 range HST control. Only 2 on the JDs.
o Fuel use is 0.014 gph/engine hp vs. 0.025 gph/engine hp on 3 Yanmar JDs. Exhaust is not blackening the back side of the FEL. The B2601 actually uses LESS fuel at 25.5 hp vs. the JD 4010 at 18.5 hp.
o Slightly lower hood for easier refill. Have a battery pump that makes this easy by sitting container on foot area of the tractor.
o The stuff under the seat is easier to clean out. There’s a clear path to put silicone spray on all moving parts. All the JDs seemed to have a pan/sheet metal there that made cleanout almost impossible.
o Quiet HST vs. 3 JDs that whined like mad.
o No stinking driveshaft Ujoints to try to grease. (Front one blew apart on the 4010.)
o STILL has steering brakes.

Reactions: 4 users

jrsavoie

Equipment
May 3, 2011
Clifton, Illinois
I replaced the tool box with a bigger one from HF. Fits holes already there.

Removed the PTO cover and the drawbar.

Agree the fuel filter needs a guard.

Based on owning previously two 2 series JDs and one 1 series, here is how the B is so much better. Main thing worse is the reverse on the treadle.

Ways B2601 is better than JD 2 series

o Starts cold a lot better: no shudder/shake nor smoke..
o Float on FEL is very easily engaged, almost too easy.
o 2wd/4wd is so easy.
o Hydraulics are MUCH stronger. Flow is near 3 times but makes for a more jerky FEL use.
o Idles nicely at 1,100. The 1025R was abnoxious at 1,650; 2025R was 1,300.
o Drink holder is bigger than the joke one on the 2025R. Not sure it'll hold my little thermos. Put the Frontier doc holder top on the left side of the FEL tower as my drink holder.
o Parking brake is easier to disengage but seems a tad harder to engage.
o Guards to the valve stems.
o Metal covering over the driveshaft (JDs only have plastic)
o 3ph raises a tad higher
o The fuel cap actually screws on and off easier.
o The radiator overflow container is right in front and easy to get to. Needed a screwdriver to take the top off the one on the 2025R and a funnel with long snout to refill it. Then top was hard to put back on. Actually, the B’s is not much easier to get off, and a long snout funnel is needed on it.
o More room to get the end snorkel off the air cleaner.
o The brake pedal lock snaps off by tapping the pedals. Hard to get off at times on the JDs.
o Top link is really easy to turn, e.g. that grease point maybe. Actually smaller, too. The tilt one is also smaller and easy to turn if load is taken off it..
o Three position steering wheel.
o Of course, 3 range HST control. Only 2 on the JDs.
o Fuel use is 0.014 gph/engine hp vs. 0.025 gph/engine hp on 3 Yanmar JDs. Exhaust is not blackening the back side of the FEL. The B2601 actually uses LESS fuel at 25.5 hp vs. the JD 4010 at 18.5 hp.
o Slightly lower hood for easier refill. Have a battery pump that makes this easy by sitting container on foot area of the tractor.
o The stuff under the seat is easier to clean out. There’s a clear path to put silicone spray on all moving parts. All the JDs seemed to have a pan/sheet metal there that made cleanout almost impossible.
o Quiet HST vs. 3 JDs that whined like mad.
o No stinking driveshaft Ujoints to try to grease. (Front one blew apart on the 4010.)
o STILL has steering brakes.
John Deere must have done that silly thing they do and used the same model number for different equipment.
My 1963 4010 is way over 26 HP. I never understood why they did that. There are at least 4 different pieces of equipment that come up if you search John Deere 400.

Does Kubota have a trailer tow light kit? For turn signals and such?
Does anyone have an aftermarket recommendation?