The reality of selling a late model used Kubota in today's market.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Did you finance the original purchase? Did you get the insurance through Kubota? Is it transferable? Does the new buyer have a policy (his choice not to…buyer may want to check their policy as well) He bought a used tractor and is getting storage and understood at purchase the liability risk on the terms. Hour meter should be able to show you did not operate it.
Yes, I financed the tractor through Kubota, and no, I didn't get insurance through Kubota. The warranty is transferable and I stated in the bill of sale that it's the buyer's responsibility to inform Kubota that they're the new owner. He might not be able to get insurance on the tractor if it's at my house. I'll mention it to him and leave it to him to do what he wants.

hedgerow

Jan 2, 2015
Malcolm NE
I don't understand the 'no road salt' with trailered equipment. Surely a kid with a pressure washer could clean off the salt in less than 2 hours ? Does your buddy drive store his ride until Spring ?
Just curious , as Ontario roads get a 'wee bit' of salt all winter long.
As a matter of fact he does. A fair amount of us have equipment, cars and trucks we don' t use in the winter. My one ton truck has never been out on salt wet roads. I have one pickup I drive in the winter and no matter how much it gets washed its rusted. I understand up north you get a lot more winter than us. I don't want a tractor or combine that has been hauled on salt wet roads but if you are ok with it that's great.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My one and only ride(had 9) is a '97 F150 regcab/shtbox, so driven year round. Road salt is a problem UNLESS you have ride 'oil sprayed' every couple of years. I've driven my BX23S for 3 years, LOTS of hrs on the salty roads helping neighbours get rid of mountains of very salty road snow,. zero issues.
Come Spring,after a great rain(to wash the roads) , I power wash the rides...good for another year.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My one and only ride(had 9) is a '97 F150 regcab/shtbox, so driven year round. Road salt is a problem UNLESS you have ride 'oil sprayed' every couple of years. I've driven my BX23S for 3 years, LOTS of hrs on the salty roads helping neighbours get rid of mountains of very salty road snow,. zero issues.
Come Spring,after a great rain(to wash the roads) , I power wash the rides...good for another year.
Just wait!
That salt has only been working on your BX23S for three years!
I have lived with road salt for 60+ years.
Oil spray or not, it eventually finds steel that it will eat away.

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
So is wiring money the best and safest way to transfer funds? When I deposited the check I asked the teller how long before it clears and he told me that the money was already in my account.
It is the least fraudulent means for paying for something. When in doubt on a high ticket item, the best way to protect yourself is via and Escrow company. For a small fee the buyer pays, they wire the sale amount to Escrow. When the money clears, Escrow notifies the seller the money is there and can proceed to process the sale, deliver the vehicle, etc. When the buyer receives the vehicle or property, they notify Escrow who then transfers the money to your bank, or where it is destined to go.

If you have a payoff amount, they write and deliver a check to the bank for the amount, and any residual is then transferred to your bank.

The process takes a little longer but guarantees the funds.

Reactions: 1 users

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Just wait!
That salt has only been working on your BX23S for three years!
I have lived with road salt for 60+ years.
Oil spray or not, it eventually finds steel that it will eat away.
I’m glad that my state uses magnesium chloride and cinders instead of sodium chloride (rock salt) for deicing. It’s far less corrosive.

Like Tractors

Equipment
Several Kubotas
Jan 1, 2020
Eastern Iowa
As a matter of fact he does. A fair amount of us have equipment, cars and trucks we don' t use in the winter. My one ton truck has never been out on salt wet roads. I have one pickup I drive in the winter and no matter how much it gets washed its rusted. I understand up north you get a lot more winter than us. I don't want a tractor or combine that has been hauled on salt wet roads but if you are ok with it that's great.

I will not drive several of my trucks on salted Iowa roads, there are two trucks that we use in the winter, none of my tractors go on those shitty salty roads either, the salt is just too destructive. I believe the idea of using salt on roads was hatched in hell and brought to us at the hands of the Devil!

Reactions: 5 users

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I’m glad that my state uses magnesium chloride and cinders instead of sodium chloride (rock salt) for deicing. It’s far less corrosive.
Same on interstate(federal) highways that run through your state too?

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I will not drive several of my trucks on salted Iowa roads, there are two trucks that we use in the winter, none of my tractors go on those shitty salty roads either, the salt is just too destructive. I believe the idea of using salt on roads was hatched in hell and brought to us at the hands of the Devil!
There are other options, but rock salt is used by many states because it’s the cheapest de-icer.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
A corrosion study in '00 at the University of Colorado and the Western Highway Institute sponsored by the Colorado Department of Transportation found that MgCl2 was considerably more corrosive than NaCl. They tested reagent MgCl2 and the DOT version which supposedly contains a corrosion inhibitor. MgCl2 was found to be 13 times more corrosive on 410SS compared to NaCl.

It's ridiculous that any corrosive salts are used on the roads, not only because of the massive cost to consumers in terms of automotive damage, but also, one of the real concerns is the salt corroding rebar in bridges and other structures. Rebar used in bridges or piers near or over salt water is typically stainless steel, or at the very least coated with an epoxy.

Last edited:

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
A corrosion study at the University of Colorado and the Western Highway Institute in 2000 sponsored by the Colorado Department of Transportation found that MgCl2 was more corrosive than NaCl.
All I know is we don’t have issues with vehicles rusting here, and they use a lot of mag chloride on snowpacked roads. Or maybe they do have a different product now and I’m unaware of this. I do know they were using mag chloride in the early to mid 2000s.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
All I know is we don’t have issues with vehicles rusting here, and they use a lot of mag chloride on snowpacked roads. Or maybe they do have a different product now and I’m unaware of this. I do know they were using mag chloride in the early to mid 2000s.
The DOT in Montana is still dumping ridiculous amounts of corrosive salts on the road and the damage to vehicles is astronomical. I was spraying the frame of my F250 this afternoon with Kubota grey paint. That paint is good stuff. Gloss paints are better at resisting corrosion so that's what I use. It looks good too. :)

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The 'geniouses' here in Ontario finally figured out why a lake has 'died'..... seems if you dump enough SALT into it, it ,well, dies... Idiots...took them decades to SEE this.
Similar bunch have 'partially' rebuilt the same bridge 3 times in 4 decades, due to salt-rebar-concrete combo. DOH !! EVERY bridge needs to be tore down, 100% epoxied rebar used and then use BEET juice ONLY within 1000' of bridges.
Actually I'd prefer to ONLY use beet juice 100%, be great for the farmers, the bridges, the cars, and us....except the then the guy with the salt contracts wouldn't be a zillionaire...

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
That $35000 offer is strong and it’s not worth more than that
Huh! I got a check for $39,200 which includes $1,700 for a Land Pride 96" rear blade which is what I paid for the implement a year ago. So $37,500 for the tractor, a happy buyer and happy seller. Win-Win!

Reactions: 2 users