Tools Needed for New Tractor Owner - Tool Sizes

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
I am not sure if this is the right subjects post thus under. I am waiting on my first tractor which is a compact tractor- LX3310HSD. I think I have a decent shop but after reading posts on repair and maintenance I think I need some larger wrenches, sockets , Allen wrenches etc. I have wrenches and sockets up to 1 inch

Anyone have a rough size list of wrenches and Sockets needed for the tractor and implements?

Also, are most of the bolts on the Kubota metric if I need to buy English wrenches vs Metric wrenches first before saving for a set of the other type?

Any help will be appreciated

Njtool

Equipment
Lx2610 HSDC. BH77 backhoe
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Oh boy. Here we go. So many people will start giving opinions that you didn’t ask for.

Brace yourself.

I have an LX2610. I can tell you what I have used in the last year....

A cheap torque wrench from harbor freight that will set to whatever torque setting you need. I have 2 because some bolts are over 100 ft pounds. I’ve checked all my bolts several times and hey have never needed to be tightened.

The appropriate sockets and extensions for your wheel studs and loader attachment bolts. I can check mine a little later if you need me to. You will need socket extensions to reach certain bolts like the wheel studs.

Other than that, a grease gun. Get a good one. Lock-n-lube is an excellent choice. I have the pistol grip and I love it. I bought another one for a second type of grease. The yellow one they sell is the better one. I know this because the second one I bought was from lock-n-lube but it was the slightly cheaper green one. Both are excellent but the yellow is a bit better

Some of my hydraulic fittings were lose and eventually started leaking. I can check on the size of you need, but go through all of them and make sure they are tight. Some are on tight spaces so you might need to cut or bend a wrench to reach them.

Other than that, I haven’t used any other tools.

Oh wait. I have. My kubota dealer sells awesome funnels for fluids. They have a cap on either end so dirt doesn’t get in there. I have one for hydraulic fluid and one for engine oil. You need ones with long necks.

I also bought a filter wrench for the engine oil filter and the hydraulic filters.

Again, I can post pics if needed.

People will start chiming in... “I have a 100hp tractor and you NEED a....” but that’s not what you are asking. Pay attention people. He is asking a specific question about a specific tractor!!!

Again, I’ve owned mine for just over a year and that’s all that I have used on my tractor. If I think of more things, I will let you know.

My tractor has been great and very reliable. Taking off the 3 point arms to install my backhoe was a little tight but I got use to the process.

Reactions: 1 user

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
also
- a good set of adjustable wrenchs (s/m/l/xl) are cheap and more than enough to snug up loose hydraulic fittings.
- Shop rags, lots and lots of shop rags to wipe off all that grease from the grease guns.
- a good workshop manual can often be found free in PDF form

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
Ok. I checked for you.
The rear tire bolts are 15/16
The front tires are 11/16

The hydraulic fittings are 18mm and 19mm. The 18 is kinda lose so it might be SAE.

Another thing I did was protect all my hydraulic lines. See pic.

And I use a tuff jug for fuel. They are awesome. The fuel pours into the tank in about a minute. Good luck finding a yellow one. My gas station ha never given me crap about filling an orange can, but some people have.

In the same pic it the funnel with the screw in caps. I appreciate the fact that they keep the funnels clean and dust free. I keep a rag in there when no in use so oil doesn’t drip out.

And the first pic is the lock-n-lubes I have. The holders are great! They keep them easily accessible and if I send someone to the barn I don’t have to worry about them not finding it.

Just thought I would share.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You will need a torque wrench over a hundred pounds. I think my L2501 lug bolts are 160 pounds and the loader is 166. I got a Craftsman torque wrench at Lowe's for about the same price as the Harbor Freight offering. I think both are Chinese. I didn't buy any new special tools other than that. Most bolts are metric as Kubota is Japanese. I believe the loader is made in Georgia so it may have inch measurement bolts.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I am not sure if this is the right subjects post thus under. I am waiting on my first tractor which is a compact tractor- LX3310HSD. I think I have a decent shop but after reading posts on repair and maintenance I think I need some larger wrenches, sockets , Allen wrenches etc. I have wrenches and sockets up to 1 inch

Anyone have a rough size list of wrenches and Sockets needed for the tractor and implements?

Also, are most of the bolts on the Kubota metric if I need to buy English wrenches vs Metric wrenches first before saving for a set of the other type?

Any help will be appreciated
I know you asked about tools to maintain the tractor.

BUT since it is NEW, you might also ask about tools needed for getting some use out of the tractor. The tractor is just the power source, the attachments are the means of accomplishing something useful.

Also ask about the best implements for your tractor, for what you want to accomplish.

As for tools to maintain the tractor, I would suggest a complete set of metric tools. All the tool you might in your imagination think your might need. Of course a set of torque wrenches too. Maybe even a welder and a stint at a local community college evening course on welding? Worked well for me. Unless you already can do some welding and have a welder.

Reactions: 1 user

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
Oh boy. Here we go. So many people will start giving opinions that you didn’t ask for.

Brace yourself.

I have an LX2610. I can tell you what I have used in the last year....

A cheap torque wrench from harbor freight that will set to whatever torque setting you need. I have 2 because some bolts are over 100 ft pounds. I’ve checked all my bolts several times and hey have never needed to be tightened.

The appropriate sockets and extensions for your wheel studs and loader attachment bolts. I can check mine a little later if you need me to. You will need socket extensions to reach certain bolts like the wheel studs.

Other than that, a grease gun. Get a good one. Lock-n-lube is an excellent choice. I have the pistol grip and I love it. I bought another one for a second type of grease. The yellow one they sell is the better one. I know this because the second one I bought was from lock-n-lube but it was the slightly cheaper green one. Both are excellent but the yellow is a bit better

Some of my hydraulic fittings were lose and eventually started leaking. I can check on the size of you need, but go through all of them and make sure they are tight. Some are on tight spaces so you might need to cut or bend a wrench to reach them.

Other than that, I haven’t used any other tools.

Oh wait. I have. My kubota dealer sells awesome funnels for fluids. They have a cap on either end so dirt doesn’t get in there. I have one for hydraulic fluid and one for engine oil. You need ones with long necks.

I also bought a filter wrench for the engine oil filter and the hydraulic filters.

Again, I can post pics if needed.

People will start chiming in... “I have a 100hp tractor and you NEED a....” but that’s not what you are asking. Pay attention people. He is asking a specific question about a specific tractor!!!

Again, I’ve owned mine for just over a year and that’s all that I have used on my tractor. If I think of more things, I will let you know.

My tractor has been great and very reliable. Taking off the 3 point arms to install my backhoe was a little tight but I got use to the process.
I did get a torque wrench that goes from 25 ft lbs to 150 ft lbs. I also got a Lock n Lube grease gun because I really like how it locks onto fittings. I asked Sant for the Lock n Lube with the yellow barrel but I got the one with the green barrel and pistol grip hand pump with a 90 degree detachable nozzle. My home Depot has individual wrenches for sale so I probably will just by them one at a time when I find thew sizes I need and also a larger adjustable wrench. I should have most everything else. The word on the street is that it may be January 2023 before I see the tractor I ordered but in the mean time I am collecting what I can. I hope the tractor may somehow get here in the next 6 months so I can start my projects.

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
I know you asked about tools to maintain the tractor.

BUT since it is NEW, you might also ask about tools needed for getting some use out of the tractor. The tractor is just the power source, the attachments are the means of accomplishing something useful.

Also ask about the best implements for your tractor, for what you want to accomplish.

As for tools to maintain the tractor, I would suggest a complete set of metric tools. All the tool you might in your imagination think your might need. Of course a set of torque wrenches too. Maybe even a welder and a stint at a local community college evening course on welding? Worked well for me. Unless you already can do some welding and have a welder.
I have been thinking about a basic welding class for a long time. I just need to be able to repair things or add a brace somewhere on an implement if needed. My job is getting to where I have set hours pretty much so I need to look into a class. When I built my shop I got a 220 socket placed in the shop so I can use a small welding machine. I am glad you mentioned that because this would be the time to take the class while I am waiting on the tractor to come into the dealer

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
You will need a torque wrench over a hundred pounds. I think my L2501 lug bolts are 160 pounds and the loader is 166. I got a Craftsman torque wrench at Lowe's for about the same price as the Harbor Freight offering. I think both are Chinese. I didn't buy any new special tools other than that. Most bolts are metric as Kubota is Japanese. I believe the loader is made in Georgia so it may have inch measurement bolts.
I am going to buy metric first and then get the SAE because I am thinking the tractor is going to be mostly metric. The implements I have ordered will be made in the USA so I will need the English wrenches and sockets too.

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
also
- a good set of adjustable wrenchs (s/m/l/xl) are cheap and more than enough to snug up loose hydraulic fittings.
- Shop rags, lots and lots of shop rags to wipe off all that grease from the grease guns.
- a good workshop manual can often be found free in PDF form
I downloaded the Owners Manual online from Kubota Support for free. I want to get the Shop Manual too, but from what I am hearing I need to get it from the dealer. I plan to visit them on the status of my tractor order in two weeks and will ask about the shop manual

Njtool

Equipment
Jan 1, 2021
New jersey
I did get a torque wrench that goes from 25 ft lbs to 150 ft lbs. I also got a Lock n Lube grease gun because I really like how it locks onto fittings. I asked Sant for the Lock n Lube with the yellow barrel but I got the one with the green barrel and pistol grip hand pump with a 90 degree detachable nozzle. My home Depot has individual wrenches for sale so I probably will just by them one at a time when I find thew sizes I need and also a larger adjustable wrench. I should have most everything else. The word on the street is that it may be January 2023 before I see the tractor I ordered but in the mean time I am collecting what I can. I hope the tractor may somehow get here in the next 6 months so I can start my projects.
That’s a perfect strategy.

From what I’ve heard, things are starting to move faster. I wouldn’t be surprised if your tractor comes in much sooner than January. That is hopefully an outside estimate of delivery.

If I think of anything else I have used, I will let you know.

When you pick up your tractor, grab some extra “super UDT2” hydro fluid and engine oil. It’s always good to have extra in case you spring a leak and have to replace some of it. I’ve had to do that on several occasions. Not to mention when you connect a new implement that has hydraulic cylinders in it that have to be primed, you will need to add some to your tractor.

And the engine oil should be checked frequently in the beginning.

And your 50 hour maintenance is important. I hit mine pretty fast, it’s good to be prepared.

Oh. And duke additive. I use FPPF, I order it from Amazon. Each bottle treats about 125 gallons. I add it to my fuel can without fail.

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
Ok. I checked for you.
The rear tire bolts are 15/16
The front tires are 11/16

The hydraulic fittings are 18mm and 19mm. The 18 is kinda lose so it might be SAE.

Another thing I did was protect all my hydraulic lines. See pic.

And I use a tuff jug for fuel. They are awesome. The fuel pours into the tank in about a minute. Good luck finding a yellow one. My gas station ha never given me crap about filling an orange can, but some people have.

In the same pic it the funnel with the screw in caps. I appreciate the fact that they keep the funnels clean and dust free. I keep a rag in there when no in use so oil doesn’t drip out.

And the first pic is the lock-n-lubes I have. The holders are great! They keep them easily accessible and if I send someone to the barn I don’t have to worry about them not finding it.

Just thought I would share.
I actually found two yellow five-gallon plastic fuel cans. They had the crappy safety nozzles on them but I ordered the kits to have the old-type open nozzles. I appreciate the information on the wrench sizes. Also, I am going to look for the funnels you are mentioning. I would also like to have a funnel that is used with each different type of fluid and have the funnel "sealed" between uses

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
That’s a perfect strategy.

From what I’ve heard, things are starting to move faster. I wouldn’t be surprised if your tractor comes in much sooner than January. That is hopefully an outside estimate of delivery.

If I think of anything else I have used, I will let you know.

When you pick up your tractor, grab some extra “super UDT2” hydro fluid and engine oil. It’s always good to have extra in case you spring a leak and have to replace some of it. I’ve had to do that on several occasions. Not to mention when you connect a new implement that has hydraulic cylinders in it that have to be primed, you will need to add some to your tractor.

And the engine oil should be checked frequently in the beginning.

And your 50 hour maintenance is important. I hit mine pretty fast, it’s good to be prepared.

Oh. And duke additive. I use FPPF, I order it from Amazon. Each bottle treats about 125 gallons. I add it to my fuel can without fail.
I have been building a list of fluids and additives. When I take delivery of the tractor I an going to get all of the items needed for the 50 hour service and a few boo9ttles of engine oil and super UDT 2. I have read quite a few threads on different groups and forums about low fluid levels in the front axle when delivered from dealer.

I cannot seem to find the Duke Additive you mentioned. Can you posted a web address?

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I added this to my cart on Amazon. I have not given any thought yet to what tools to carry on the tractor. Thanks for the link
Suggestion for on the tractor tools: the adjustable spud wrench you already added to your Amazon cart; slip joint pliers; Channelocks; the biggest hammer you can fit in the box (usually a short handled hand drilling hammer); biggest flat screwdriver/pry bar you can fit in the box. Past that, a variety of hairpins and at least a couple of extra linchpins for the 3 point. That’s pretty much the core of what I’ve always carried on whatever tractor and it handles most of the routine stuff.

surveythemark

Equipment
Kubota LX3310HSD
Oct 5, 2021
Zachary, LA
Suggestion for on the tractor tools: the adjustable spud wrench you already added to your Amazon cart; slip joint pliers; Channelocks; the biggest hammer you can fit in the box (usually a short handled hand drilling hammer); biggest flat screwdriver/pry bar you can fit in the box. Past that, a variety of hairpins and at least a couple of extra linchpins for the 3 point. That’s pretty much the core of what I’ve always carried on whatever tractor and it handles most of the routine stuff.
That is a good list for the small toolbox on the tractor. I have already started to collect some lynchpins and slips. Thinking about the hammer is a good point. Maybe I can figure a mount for say a 2 pound estwing maul. No joking... you can give something a little love tap or a heavy swing if needed. I probably will be within walking distance to my shop at first but I hope to get some very local jobs bush-hogging some field. There are allot of people around where I live that own 10 or more acres of property and just don't want to invest in the gear to take care off it. Maybe just enough jobs to keep me in spending money for what I have planned for my 10 acres.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
That is a good list for the small toolbox on the tractor. I have already started to collect some lynchpins and slips. Thinking about the hammer is a good point. Maybe I can figure a mount for say a 2 pound estwing maul. No joking... you can give something a little love tap or a heavy swing if needed. I probably will be within walking distance to my shop at first but I hope to get some very local jobs bush-hogging some field. There are allot of people around where I live that own 10 or more acres of property and just don't want to invest in the gear to take care off it. Maybe just enough jobs to keep me in spending money for what I have planned for my 10 acres.
A 2 1/2lb hammer is actually what I carry on mine and that’s only because a 3lb is too big to fit. If you’re using something with shear bolts (like rotary cutters if it doesn’t have a clutch) be sure to carry some spares and whatever tools needed to quickly change them out. That would usually include an appropriate sized drift punch and possibly a ratchet/extension/socket.