Newbie with questions

IdahoNative

Equipment
Kubota B7100D 4x4, non-HST, FEL 1630
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Hello,

I bought a B7100D with a 1630 FEL, 5’ rake, and finish mower for $4300. Before we paid the seller, everything functioned except the instruments and the 3pt lever was seized. After we got home, I changed every fluid and spin on filters. The tranny/hyd fluid was milky at initial fluid drain. Given the humidity and it sat for a few years, I wasn’t surprised. I removed the 3pt lever and got it working again. After about 8 hours of play time, here’s what developed, and some questions.

Tractor slobber everywhere. But no oil consumption and no antifreeze loss.

Injectors leak (below the return rings). I removed and thoroughly cleaned the injectors. I ordered a washer/gasket kit. I image that will fix the leaks.

Each Injection pump leaks near the top plate. My pump assembly is part number 15381-51010. I ordered o-rings and gaskets. Leaving the assembly on the tractor, can I only remove the delivery valve holder, O-ring, upper spring, and gasket? The lower portion appears to be held in place by a pin & pin clamp. Any concerns or suggestions?

Black goo leaks out of the muffler/exhaust manifold. I thought it was oil, but it doesn’t smell or feel like oil and leaves deep stains that don’t just wipe off. The oil level remains correct too. The goo still leaks after cleaning the injectors. Is the fuel not burning 100%? Why?

Did every B7100 have a hydraulic oil screen at the suction line banjo fitting, in the bottom of the case? Mine doesn’t. If I replace the downstream spin on filter regularly, am I ok?

The FEL functions erratically at times. The 3pt is fine. The FEL controller is a leaky mess, and obviously it’s been tinkered with. Two hoses also have slow leaks. I ordered a Prince, 3/8” NPT to SAE #8 adapter fittings and hoses. Hopefully this will solve the FEL issues. Any concerns or suggestions?

Thank you for your responses.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello,

I bought a B7100D with a 1630 FEL, 5’ rake, and finish mower for $4300. Before we paid the seller, everything functioned except the instruments and the 3pt lever was seized. After we got home, I changed every fluid and spin on filters. The tranny/hyd fluid was milky at initial fluid drain. Given the humidity and it sat for a few years, I wasn’t surprised. I removed the 3pt lever and got it working again. After about 8 hours of play time, here’s what developed, and some questions.

Injectors leak (below the return rings). I removed and thoroughly cleaned the injectors. I ordered a washer/gasket kit. I image that will fix the leaks.

Each Injection pump leaks near the top plate. My pump assembly is part number 15381-51010. I ordered o-rings and gaskets. Leaving the assembly on the tractor, can I only remove the delivery valve holder, O-ring, upper spring, and gasket? The lower portion appears to be held in place by a pin & pin clamp. Any concerns or suggestions?

Black goo leaks out of the muffler/exhaust manifold. I thought it was oil, but it doesn’t smell or feel like oil and leaves deep stains that don’t just wipe off. The oil level remains correct too. The goo still leaks after cleaning the injectors. Is the fuel not burning 100%? Why?

Did every B7100 have a hydraulic oil screen at the suction line banjo fitting, in the bottom of the case? Mine doesn’t. If I replace the downstream spin on filter regularly, am I ok?

The FEL functions erratically at times. The 3pt is fine. The FEL controller is a leaky mess, and obviously it’s been tinkered with. Two hoses also have slow leaks. I ordered a Prince, 3/8” NPT to SAE #8 adapter fittings and hoses. Hopefully this will solve the FEL issues. Any concerns or suggestions?

Sounds pretty normal for a 50 year old machine that's probably seen some hard times, Nothing major sounding in that list. What exactly is it you ordered for the loader?

Dan

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Sounds pretty normal for a 50 year old machine that's probably seen some hard times, Nothing major sounding in that list. What exactly is it you ordered for the loader?

Dan
Dan,
No doubt it’s seen better days. But, I think you’re right about nothing major. A tractor with a FEL in better shape was way out of my budget. I’m a DIYer so I think this orange tractor has potential.

So far, through Amazon, I ordered a Prince Control valve MB21BB5C1.
From Surplus Center, to adapt the 3/8” NPT hose ends to the Prince SAE #8 ports, I ordered three 90 degree swivels 9-6901-8-6 and and four straights 9-6405-8-6.

Getting a few hydraulic hoses from my local Tractor Supply tomorrow. Hopefully this will all come together so I can start maintenance on our private dirt road.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Dan,
No doubt it’s seen better days. But, I think you’re right about nothing major. A tractor with a FEL in better shape was way out of my budget. I’m a DIYer so I think this orange tractor has potential.

So far, through Amazon, I ordered a Prince Control valve MB21BB5C1.
From Surplus Center, to adapt the 3/8” NPT hose ends to the Prince SAE #8 ports, I ordered three 90 degree swivels 9-6901-8-6 and and four straights 9-6405-8-6.

Getting a few hydraulic hoses from my local Tractor Supply tomorrow. Hopefully this will all come together so I can start maintenance on our private dirt road.
I have used quite a few of those Wolverine valves - compact and affordable. For the 1630 loader I think you will need the power beyond sleeve to go with it. Your current valve should have three hoses between it and the tractor. Two going to the hydraulic outlet and a third going to the tank filler. Here is the parts diagram for the B7100 plumbing.

Dan

B1630C.png

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
Hello,

Sounds like you did all the right things so far to get this machine into operating condition. Get yourself an owner's manual and a Work Shop Manual (WSM) for this model.
The black stuff coming out of the muffler is called "diesel slobbers" and consists of carbon soot and partially burned fuel from letting the engine idle or run at low powers and never warm up to operating temperatures. Diesels operate with variable peak temperatures and idle temperatures are the lowest. You need to work the snot out of it and get it and all the other fluids up to operating temperatures. Someone else who is more knowledgeable on the injection pump (IP) like the NI Wolfman can answer a lot of your questions.

Good Luck.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
I have used quite a few of those Wolverine valves - compact and affordable. For the 1630 loader I think you will need the power beyond sleeve to go with it. Your current valve should have three hoses between it and the tractor. Two going to the hydraulic outlet and a third going to the tank filler. Here is the parts diagram for the B7100 plumbing.

Dan

View attachment 73210
Correct about the PB. According to the control description, this model has a "high pressure carry over fitting" for the PB port. Thanks for the diagram! I found diagrams for just about everything on that web site. Very helpful.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Sounds like you did all the right things so far to get this machine into operating condition. Get yourself an owner's manual and a Work Shop Manual (WSM) for this model.
The black stuff coming out of the muffler is called "diesel slobbers" and consists of carbon soot and partially burned fuel from letting the engine idle or run at low powers and never warm up to operating temperatures. Diesels operate with variable peak temperatures and idle temperatures are the lowest. You need to work the snot out of it and get it and all the other fluids up to operating temperatures. Someone else who is more knowledgeable on the injection pump (IP) like the NI Wolfman can answer a lot of your questions.

Good Luck.
Jerry,

I ordered the manuals tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the slobber, I didn't think it was oil. While talking to the owner, I got the feeling he didn't work it at high RPMs much. When I get my fix-it list finished, I will work it at higher RPMs, like my 7.3l F250. I keep telling my wife don't baby the pickup! The same for a little 3 cyl diesel makes sense. Thank you for addressing this, now I can be at ease.

I imagine this forum has messaging capabilities, I'll run the injector issues by him. I see his input on many threads. You gotta trust a man from northern Idaho. I attended U of I and the folks up there are helpful, polite and knowledgeable. My hometown is/was a small farm town just outside of Boise. But the (dare do I say it) Californians ruined it.

Thanks again for your reply.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Follow what Jerry suggested. The engine slobber can be reduced or eliminated by working the tractor hard for a few hours. Need to get the engine warm and working under a load to make much of a difference.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Correct about the PB. According to the control description, this model has a "high pressure carry over fitting" for the PB port. Thanks for the diagram! I found diagrams for just about everything on that web site. Very helpful.
Sounds like you are on top of things. On those MB valves the conversion fitting is a small hollow head pipe plug that you install inside the high pressure carry over (C) port on the valve. Its tiny and easy to lose if you are not careful when opening the box.

Its a little late now but I would have suggested you get hoses with JIC female swivel ends rather than male pipe. Much easier to connect.

Dan

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Follow what Jerry suggested. The engine slobber can be reduced or eliminated by working the tractor hard for a few hours. Need to get the engine warm and working under a load to make much of a difference.
That is music to my ears. In a week, a few dump loads of shell sand is being delivered to maintain our narrow, 1/4 mile private road. It will get a work out for sure.

Thank you for replying.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Sounds like you are on top of things. On those MB valves the conversion fitting is a small hollow head pipe plug that you install inside the high pressure carry over (C) port on the valve. Its tiny and easy to lose if you are not careful when opening the box.

Its a little late now but I would have suggested you get hoses with JIC female swivel ends rather than male pipe. Much easier to connect.

Dan,
Apparently a lot of folks throw that little fitting away, not knowing it's in the box. Customer service gave me the heads up.

My son said the same about JIC. If it's any thing like my other project (1954 Chevy 1/2 ton onto an S10 frame and the brakes fittings), I never order fittings correctly the first time. If that happens this time, I will go with JIC.

Thanks again!

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
Jerry,

I ordered the manuals tonight. Thanks for the suggestion.

Regarding the slobber, I didn't think it was oil. While talking to the owner, I got the feeling he didn't work it at high RPMs much. When I get my fix-it list finished, I will work it at higher RPMs, like my 7.3l F250. I keep telling my wife don't baby the pickup! The same for a little 3 cyl diesel makes sense. Thank you for addressing this, now I can be at ease.

I imagine this forum has messaging capabilities, I'll run the injector issues by him. I see his input on many threads. You gotta trust a man from northern Idaho. I attended U of I and the folks up there are helpful, polite and knowledgeable. My hometown is/was a small farm town just outside of Boise. But the (dare do I say it) Californians ruined it.

Thanks again for your reply.
You are a long way from home Idaho Native! Of course you probably don't miss the 2 ft of snow we have in Potlatch.

Clementine21

Equipment
B2401 with FEL, back blade, back rake, carry all
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
Or the 3' we had in Troy, ID before the rain hit. Potlatch (my Dad graduated from there in 1936) is a "banana belt" compared to where I live in Troy.

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
You are a long way from home Idaho Native! Of course you probably don't miss the 2 ft of snow we have in Potlatch.
About 2800 miles away. It was time for a change. The first “winter” we were here, I had a panic attack because I forgot to winterize the RV! Then it hit me!

IdahoNative

Equipment
Jan 12, 2022
Florida, central
Or the 3' we had in Troy, ID before the rain hit. Potlatch (my Dad graduated from there in 1936) is a "banana belt" compared to where I live in Troy.
3’ in Troy! Wow! It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been to Troy. The day/night before we moved after graduating from UofI, it snowed about 30” from Moscow to the top of the canyon above Lewiston. The only white stuff on the ground here is sand 😝🤣🤣

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
3’ in Troy! Wow! It’s been about 20 years since I’ve been to Troy. The day/night before we moved after graduating from UofI, it snowed about 30” from Moscow to the top of the canyon above Lewiston. The only white stuff on the ground here is sand 😝🤣🤣
We are building a place just W of Deary, off ID 9 near Stanford and we had the same.

Clementine21

Equipment
B2401 with FEL, back blade, back rake, carry all
Dec 9, 2021
Troy, Idaho, USA
We are building a place just W of Deary, off ID 9 near Stanford and we had the same.
Know it well, I taught at Deary for 25 years, 1973-'98. Queener homestead was west of hiway 9, now called "Queener Lane," and Queener Creek on the east side of 9, was my Grandfather's logging camp in the 1920s and 1930s.
grandpa queener 002 copy.jpeg

Reactions: 3 users

JerryMT

Equipment
Jun 17, 2017
Know it well, I taught at Deary for 25 years, 1973-'98. Queener homestead was west of hiway 9, now called "Queener Lane," and Queener Creek on the east side of 9, was my Grandfather's logging camp in the 1920s and 1930s. View attachment 73267
Great shot! Though the trucks look different, logs going down the road to Bennet's Mill are still a common sight in North Idaho.