M125X Hydraulic Temperature

OSUOrange

Equipment
M125X
Mar 13, 2012
Oklahoma
Hi, new member here. I'm actually asking a question on behalf of my Dad. He has an M125X. He has a Wylie sprayer with a hydraulic pump. He just got this tractor this spring and was talking to the sprayer dealer since he had never used it with this tractor. The dealer told him "that Kubota's are notorious for their hydraulic systems overheating".

Is there any truth to this? I'm thinking the guy is full of it, but was hoping someone could help me out here.

Also is there somewhere I can get the specs on the hydraulic system like pressure, flowrate etc?

Thanks

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
I'll take a guess and say the sprayer dealer has a friend who owns/works in a dealership with alot of green paint and several jumping yellow deere!

Hydraulic overheat is not an issue. Keep the screens clean, your MX serviced and it's a non issue.
Well that isn't all-together true! The X series Kubota isn't really good for running a hydraulic motor such as a sprayer pump without a flow control being added to the remote that you run the motor off. The total flow of the open-center system is much too high and causes the hydraulics to run over relief continuously, of course causing a LOT of unnecessary heat! It WILL destroy your hydraulic pump! ( 19 us gpm at 2775 psi)
ED

Last edited:

OSUOrange

Equipment
M125X
Mar 13, 2012
Oklahoma
Well that isn't all-together true! The X series Kubota isn't really good for running a hydraulic motor such as a sprayer pump without a flow control being added to the remote that you run the motor off. The total flow of the open-center system is much too high and causes the hydraulics to run over relief continuously, of course causing a LOT of unnecessary heat! It WILL destroy your hydraulic pump! ( 19 us gpm at 2775 psi)
ED
You are correct. The hydraulic pump on the sprayer wouldn't work. When I looked up the model of pump it said it would handle 16 gpm maximum for open center systems. The sprayer dealer said he would need a different pump. The best option is to just get a PTO power pump and forget the hydraulic pump.

If it was a closed system I'm guessing you could set the hydraulic pressure two whatever you wanted to make the pump work.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You are correct. The hydraulic pump on the sprayer wouldn't work. When I looked up the model of pump it said it would handle 16 gpm maximum for open center systems. The sprayer dealer said he would need a different pump. The best option is to just get a PTO power pump and forget the hydraulic pump.

If it was a closed system I'm guessing you could set the hydraulic pressure two whatever you wanted to make the pump work.
Or you could buy and install the flow control for the remotes and it will work real good. We have at least 15 tractors running like that from our dealership with no problems!
Ed

OSUOrange

Equipment
M125X
Mar 13, 2012
Oklahoma
Or you could buy and install the flow control for the remotes and it will work real good. We have at least 15 tractors running like that from our dealership with no problems!
Ed
Is this a Kubota part? Do you have a part number for this flow control valve or is this an aftermarket item? Any help on finding the correct flow control valve would be much appreciated.

Thanks

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Is this a Kubota part? Do you have a part number for this flow control valve or is this an aftermarket item? Any help on finding the correct flow control valve would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Flow control kit # is : 3f240-9018-5 available through wholegoods from your Kubota dealer!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
$729 + freight! The dealer had to call Kubota to verify it fit a M125X. You might be able to buy a new pump for $800.
True, but after your second or third pump, or when the hoses from your loader melt through your fuel tank, the price of the flow control might seam a little mor reasonable!

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
This looks like it does the same thing and is much cheaper. Just plumb it into the hose and set it to the flow you desire.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200336352_200336352
Installing that valve would be the worst thing you could do! It would just create another restriction so MORE heat buildup!
You could install an aftermarket flow divider which would help some, or , even easier and better just return the oil from the sprayer motor directly into the transmission case instead of back through the remote valve. None of these will work as good as the proper Kubota flow control valve though!
Ed

OSUOrange

Equipment
M125X
Mar 13, 2012
Oklahoma
Sorry to dig up this post again, but I need some help. I called the dealer again about this flow control valve and he gave me a part number of M9296A.

The description of the part is: Flow Control Valve for Valve and 3-Pt. simultaneous operation, use with standard SCD Valve, or with another M9284 SCD Valve.

Where exactly does this install and how difficult is it to install?

Thanks for any help

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Sorry to dig up this post again, but I need some help. I called the dealer again about this flow control valve and he gave me a part number of M9296A.

The description of the part is: Flow Control Valve for Valve and 3-Pt. simultaneous operation, use with standard SCD Valve, or with another M9284 SCD Valve.

Where exactly does this install and how difficult is it to install?

Thanks for any help
It goes between the two remote valves you now have and controls the flow of the valve above it. Not too hard to install, complete instructions come with it!
Ed

OSUOrange

Equipment
M125X
Mar 13, 2012
Oklahoma
So when you say "controls the flow of the valve above it", I suppose there is some kind of dial or lever on this that regulates the flowrate on the remotes?

Could I regulate the flow coming out of the remote valves to say 7gpm? The hydraulic powered pump on the sprayer I'm trying to operate needs 7gpm. It can take up to 16 gpm and has a needle valve of it's own that can bypass up to 9gpm. The tractor puts out around 20 gpm so I would at least need to turn down the remote output to 16 gpm.

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions but I can't find a parts diagram or schematic of this thing anywhere. This valve is about the same price as buying a PTO powered pump, but the hydraulic pump offers fewer moving parts and no driveshaft to bind up if you turn to tight! I'm just trying to fully understand everything to make an informed decision.

Thanks

Countrymech

Equipment
M125X, Case 1370, 1941 JD "B"
Dec 21, 2012
Nashville TN
As I go through the disassembly of my burned out M125X, i noticed that the hydraulic oil cooler seems a bit small, given the GPM. I don't propose any solutions, just an observation. I may retrofit a larger cooler from a much larger tractor being that I will no longer have an A/C...the cooler is sandwiched between the condenser and the radiator. Could be too, that the engine driven fan has to pull air through the condenser, screen, oil cooler and radiator... and any clogging with dust may have a big effect on cooling. Just my .02

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
That looks to be a huge undertaking to get that tractor back in shape. Just curious, with the amount of work you plan to do getting it running why wouldn't you fix the A/C also?

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Is this the correct part?
Yes, that is the correct part. You will need the whole kit. It has a knob that you mount up by the back window to adjust the flow. you can adjust it from 0 flow all the way up to full flow so 7 GPM shouldn't be any problem.
Ed

OSUOrange

Equipment
M125X
Mar 13, 2012
Oklahoma
Yes, that is the correct part. You will need the whole kit. It has a knob that you mount up by the back window to adjust the flow. you can adjust it from 0 flow all the way up to full flow so 7 GPM shouldn't be any problem.
Ed
Thanks. Ordered the part yesterday, it should be here in a few days. The parts people don't know much about it, but the mechanic knew all about it. Looks like the best solution.

I don't understand why Kubota wouldn't make this standard equipment if they are going to use an open hydraulic system. My understanding is that most newer tractors farm tractors of this size have a closed system. As a result you can adjust the flow quite easily.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
The flow control valve is a standard option for the M series tractors. I guess they offer it as a option so someone that doesn't need it won't have to pay for it and it never get used. If you need it the dealer can add it to any tractor for you. I would think that is a big part of why or how Kubota keeps their base price lower than most other brands.