Wheel removal and reinstallation (loaded tires)

dmbjohn

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC FEL60"SSQA ,LP 60" BB, HLA 42" forks, Ingersoll 4118 snowblower
Apr 8, 2017
New Era, MI
Im hoping for a bit of advice. I want to install a 3rd function kit and some wheel spacers so I can put chains on if needed. My question is about removing and reinstalling the wheels. I have a b2650hsdc with loaded rear turf tires and I would really like to not have to drain them to do this work. But I am concerned about their weight and handeling them.
Thanks in advance for any insight in to this.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Im hoping for a bit of advice. I want to install a 3rd function kit and some wheel spacers so I can put chains on if needed. My question is about removing and reinstalling the wheels. I have a b2650hsdc with loaded rear turf tires and I would really like to not have to drain them to do this work. But I am concerned about their weight and handeling them.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I used a floor jack and lifted the tractor onto jack stands. I only lifted enough to remove and roll the wheels out. Then to replace the wheels I placed shims under the wheels so I could roll them to line up with lug nuts. You have to plan this out carefully and be able to go roll the wheels to a location where they can stand up. They are hard to move if you let them lay down.

Reactions: 1 users

BCfromVA

Equipment
MX5400 HST, JD 455, JD425 Zero turn, Exmark Radius zero turn
Nov 10, 2021
Toolsandequipment$$
Jyoutz is right on the money. What I have always done is just as he said. Use a floor jack to just barely get the wheel off the floor. Once the lug bolts or nuts are off you can roll it out to the side until ready to reinstall. Whatever you do, don't let it fall over. It is a real pain to get back up as they are really heavy. When you get ready to reinstall, roll it back into position just in front of the mounting flange. Use the floor jack to get the height of the flange perfect. Rotate the axle shaft to line every thing up radially. Once you get two opposite bolts or nuts on you are home free.

Reactions: 1 user

Firefight100

Equipment
MX5200
Apr 3, 2021
63379 troy mo
i use to remove tandems off 18 wheeler trailers. Put a sheet of plywood under the tire. With the weight just off the tire, coat the plywood with some motor oil. Slide the tire assembly right off. And back on with ease.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Get a helper or two then take them out for lunch when you're done.

Reactions: 1 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I built a tire carrier, similar to the ones guys unloading bricks or drywall have. It hangs on a chain hoist on a trolley on an Ibeam in the garage. Makes it EASY to remove /replace heavy tires(tractor is 600#, forklift 700?).
golden #1 rule about moving loaded tires... if it feels like it's falling, get OUT of the way !!!!
there are special tire lifter floor jacks.... the car moving dollies( 4 casters on a depressed plate of steel), actually work well for one man moves..
Whatever method ,be 100% sure YOU are in control NOT the tire ! Go slow and steady, don't get ahead of the sloshing liquid inside either....

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I had my rear wheels reconfigured to the wides position. I had the same concern As you do in addition to no helper. Took it to the dealer. $85 OTD. I’m sure adding spacers wouldn’t take hours. Just a thought.

dmbjohn

Equipment
Kubota B2650HSDC FEL60"SSQA ,LP 60" BB, HLA 42" forks, Ingersoll 4118 snowblower
Apr 8, 2017
New Era, MI
Excellent information all, thank you. The friend of mine that usualy helps with stuff like this took a trip out of state for a few months but ill see who else I can talk in to helping out. Of coarse bribing a helper with food is an option as well. Im sure someone would be interested.

excellent suggestions from everyone, in some ways I think I am just more nervous then anything, I am used to working on boats and telecom stuff not as much on tractors and cars.. which when I think about it is odd concidering I spent two years in tech school for ag diesel repair, its just not what I ended up doing with life.. I am thinking I may build a carrier for the wheels since I have tons of scrap/used but good wood around and a set of casters too. The garage is full of custom made tools whats one more for the collection right?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I did this on a Ford 8n with filled tires (except I did NOT know that they were filled) and it was not fun - I did as jy mentioned .......... about 1/8" off the ground ...... roll the tire away and then roll it back -
-on a gravel bed ...... not a great situation, a long crow bar did help however