B2310, b2601 or L2501

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
It probably came up before, but which one is better in my case? About 2-3 pretty wooded area that includes a geove of medium sized trees, cottonwoods, fern, small brush etc that need my care. To add on too, lots of old fallen branches, trunks possibly hidden in the way.

Looking to buy used due to budget. I like the b series, but if L2501 can be had for just 2k or so more, i would rather buy once, then upgrade later.

I looked at tractorhouse, and prices are pretty wide range, but are my estimates on the following model fair, assuming all are lower than 400 hrs, hst with just fel.

b2601 ~ $16k
L2501 ~ $18k

any feedback is appreciated

Last edited:

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
As far as what to buy, that really depends on what you want to do and how much space you have to do it. I use my L2501 for mowing my ten acre field and it works out fine. Oh, it does some lifting and dirt work, too. It was about the minimum acceptable to me. For shopping you can watch the ads on the various tractor websites such as here or Tractor by Net. Sometimes an owner will be upgrading.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
I think any of the 3 tractors you listed will work great for your needs.

I was happy with my B2601 but, really like the added weight, size and capabilities of the L2501. On your size property I would probably lean towards the B2301/B2601.

Mike

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
I like the b2601 as well, but they are impossible to find used nearby. L2501 pops up occasionally, but not as bx2380. I see them almost daily on local marketplace. Which tells me most are upgrading for larger equipment. It was the thing that convinces me the BX is too small.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have spent most of the day today using my B2601 here on my 2 1/2 acre suburban lot. My B2601 has a MMM that I like and use weekly. That you cant have on the L2501. The L2501 is also considerably heavier and while that's good for some things its not preferable for lawn work. The price difference is little between the B2301 and the B2601. I think Neil from Messicks has a YouTube ditty on the subject and recommends the B2601. I spent a lot of time looking for a used one and after considering all angles bought a new one with the 0% long term financing. Today I cut down a dying tree maybe 18" in diameter and 35 ft tall and am burning it as I write this. I used the loader to haul its dismembered carcass about. Kind of therapeutic in a hillbilly way. Good times!

Reactions: 2 users

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
I like the b2601 as well, but they are impossible to find used nearby. L2501 pops up occasionally, but not as bx2380. I see them almost daily on local marketplace. Which tells me most are upgrading for larger equipment. It was the thing that convinces me the BX is too small.
I believe the standard L (L2501) and BX are Kubota’s best selling Tractors, so that would make sense that you are seeing more of those models available for sale.

I don’t think the BX is necessarily too small for your needs. However, if you think you might need a larger machine, it’s better to make that decision now, rather than upgrading later (which I did). Plus, using the BX in the woods would require skid plates to protect the HST fan from damage.

Im not sure of your timing but, if the B2301/B2601 is the tractor, I’d expand your search radius or potentially take advantage of the 0% financing new from Kubota.

Perhaps worth noting…I sold my 2020 B2601 w/ 50 hours for basically what I paid new, minus taxes. Had I waited one day on another buyer, I would have gotten all my money back, plus some. It’s a crazy market right now.

Mike

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
The L2501 is significantly more tractor although it isn’t a deluxe tractor.

The guy on My Cluttered Garage on youtube has a B2601. He uses a pull behind finish mower. He seems to like his pretty well although he has had some loader damage from perhaps over doing it. He made a video about the damage. His videos definitely show what could be done with one. GP Outdoors used to have a B2601, so his early videos might be worth viewing as well.

Any way, if you are going economy, there is no other tractor in that HP range that is more economy than a L2501. I’d recommend hydro filter guards, fuel filter guards, and a grill guard if you are going to do much in the wood. Ken Hall’s floor mats because they are nice. ;)

One other note, if you can, go to a dealer to see the size difference in person.

Reactions: 2 users

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
Thanks for all the great advice. I have to say, i was a bit intimidated when i was playing with my friend’s L4701 initially. Granted, the 2501 is a little smaller, but i think i’d rather get a slight bit larger size now then realize i need a larger one later.
The resale used market definitely favors the sellers right now. Most are asking close to brand new msrp. And i am afraid if i wait till Spring, used tractors will even be more expensive.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
On the other hand, the new models will also be out with some good updates, but it’s hard to say how much the inflation rate and supply chain issues will affect the prices.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I don't see it that way so much. They sell a boat load of BXs. So there are a boatload on the used market. Also, I think it's a tractor that you buy when you have a small lifestyle property - the kind of property that might not really need a tractor, but you want a tractor. Then you move house or downsize, you don't have enough land for a tractor any more. You don't sell it with the property, cause the next guy might just get a ride on. Boom, second hand BX.

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
I don't see it that way so much. They sell a boat load of BXs. So there are a boatload on the used market. Also, I think it's a tractor that you buy when you have a small lifestyle property - the kind of property that might not really need a tractor, but you want a tractor. Then you move house or downsize, you don't have enough land for a tractor any more. You don't sell it with the property, cause the next guy might just get a ride on. Boom, second hand BX.
i should clarified what i wrote earlier. I agree with you that the market has a lot more BX models in the used market than anything else. It is too bad it doesn’t has enough ground clearance and i don’t need MMM since i already has a riding lawn mower.

7milesup

Equipment
BX2380 FEL, 54" MMM, 48" King Kutter, Fabricated land plane (it is awesome!).
Apr 3, 2017
Northwest, WI
Hi guys. I am fairly new to this site but the conversation is rather fortuitous. I test drove a new B2601 today and was fairly impressed with it. At first, I thought that the loader control was going to be an issue but I adapted to it very quickly and it seemed smooth. I need a MMM so I believe that the B series is the stopping point for a MMM?
I have a BX2380 that I bought new off of the lot in 2017. I had 1.5 acres then but ended up hauling 20 tons of rock one summer for a 100 foot long water feature that we built in our back yard. But, we sold that house in 2019 and built a new one on 22 acres of all woods. Just bought a 4ft brush hog (King Kutter) and feel that the BX is just a little too small. The new tractor needs to fit in the garage though (8ft door height).
One of the biggest issues with the BX for me was the lack of 3 point draft control.

Below is a picture of us making our water feature. The wife had to place all of those rocks by hand by herself since my back is shot.

Attachments

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Hi guys. I am fairly new to this site but the conversation is rather fortuitous. I test drove a new B2601 today and was fairly impressed with it. At first, I thought that the loader control was going to be an issue but I adapted to it very quickly and it seemed smooth. I need a MMM so I believe that the B series is the stopping point for a MMM?
I have a BX2380 that I bought new off of the lot in 2017. I had 1.5 acres then but ended up hauling 20 tons of rock one summer for a 100 foot long water feature that we built in our back yard. But, we sold that house in 2019 and built a new one on 22 acres of all woods. Just bought a 4ft brush hog (King Kutter) and feel that the BX is just a little too small. The new tractor needs to fit in the garage though (8ft door height).
One of the biggest issues with the BX for me was the lack of 3 point draft control.

Below is a picture of us making our water feature. The wife had to place all of those rocks by hand by herself since my back is shot.
Thats a very nice project. I would like to see a picture of your wife's biceps if that's not asking too much. With regards to your MMM query , the mid PTO is available on larger tractors but the biggest mowing deck available is still 72 inches. If you intend on leaving the woods largely alone (unspoiled some would say) the B2601 I feel is perfect. Not too big not too small. Fits in a garage. Easily transportable. The tractor itself and Implements are not too heavy or expensive. I have had mine 7 months and I am quite pleased so far. I am 6'2" and 206 pounds and felt cramped on the BX models.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA

I think you meant POSITION control rather than draft control...

Unless it is a financial burden, you may want to keep the BX and get the new B series.
I did this almost 20 years ago and never regretted having the BX2200 and B2910 over the years. The L2501 is a physically larger and heavier tractor than the B2601 from what I understand. This offers some advantages. It is also a basic tractor without deluxe features I believe. Not sure if this matters. Also a mid PTO may not be an option on the L2501. Just some things to keep in mind.

Last year I was thinking of upgrading to a L2501, but decided on my 8 acres, the B2910 does all I need it to. It is not the amount of property you own, but rather the amount of property you want to maintain that plays a big part in the decision.

Just a couple thoughts to add to Jimmyjazz's goop advice...

Reactions: 1 user

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Based on what you are saying a B2601 will probably suit you well. It’s the first real step up from the more “garden tractor” inspired BX. The B2601 is going to be a bit more like a tractor, higher ground clearance, position control 3 point, etc.

The other option is an LX2610. A bit bigger than the B2601, but more capable. You should look at what you’re planning on doing. If you think the BX could almost accomplish these tasks but just want something that’s a bit more then the b2601 is a good fit. If you’re planning on extensive work on the 22 acres the LX2610 could be worth considering.

I have a B2601 and will be building a house on my parents 50 acres. Even with s property that size I feel like the B2601 is still a good fit. Most of my work will be around the house/yard and just some trail building on the land.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I like my B2601 for the most part, the only thing I have an issue with is, and it may just be me, that on hills if feels tippy but again that may just be me. If EVER I do get the wheel spacers I will see if they make a difference. You dont say what all you want to do, but the FEL works well with a grapple for lifting trees when cutting to size to split, the bucket is limited in weight and size, but then it is a compact tractor. It has done everything I want, so that is MHO

Reactions: 1 users

Quick

Equipment
B2601, LA435, BH70, LP SGC0554 Grapple, LP RB1672 Rear Blade, King Kutter 60" BB
Sep 23, 2021
St. Clair, MO.
I like my B2601 for the most part, the only thing I have an issue with is, and it may just be me, that on hills if feels tippy but again that may just be me.
My only issue as well. Also have to be really careful carrying heavier loads with a grapple on any uneven ground. Thinking wheel spacers may be my next purchase.

Smf834

Equipment
L2501dt
Nov 1, 2021
1a2b3c
My use will be a lot of stump removal, removing brush in uneven gentle slope. I figure the extra weight on the L series would help. Although the B seems not that much smaller, it is quite a bit lighter. Leaning towards l2501, but consider the b2301/2601 as well.

would the b2301 be too small for what i need? Gentle slope brush removal, digging tree stump, grading drivewayon 4 acre. No mowing. Any advice appreciated.

Last edited:

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
My use will be a lot of stump removal, removing brush in uneven gentle slope. I figure the extra weight on the L series would help. Although the B seems not that much smaller, it is quite a bit lighter. Leaning towards l2501, but consider the b2301/2601 as well.

would the b2301 be too small for what i need? Gentle slope brush removal, digging tree stump, grading drivewayon 4 acre. No mowing. Any advice appreciated.
One of the reasons I purchased the L2501 was because my B2601 wasn't able to remove and/or lift unearthed stumps on my property.
While many would argue that the L2501 isn't the best tool for stump removal, I've had lots of success removing stumps with it. The L2501 is also more stable on the hills and slopes thanks to the larger wheels/tires and extra weight.

I think the L2501 will work well for you since you aren't planning to do any mowing with your tractor.

Mike