What does everyone collect or do for a hobby?

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
We could be grooming within a month....... Think Snow!
Here in Vermont, every groomer in the state has GPS installed. This allows REAL TIME updates to the VAST website to show sledders where the groomers have been.

VAST= Vermont Association of Snow Travelers. (the state snowmobile club)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Too big to fit on some of the trails we maintain. The drag we pull is 10ft so that's what we run. It would have been 13+ft on the ground, we can work the blade not the tracks. It going to be tight, but if anything is in the way we'll move it! This thing is a monster@350Hp+
Gotcha.
I just assumed wider is more footprint=better.

Reactions: 1 user

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Here in Vermont, every groomer in the state has GPS installed. This allows REAL TIME updates to the VAST website to show sledders where the groomers have been.

VAST= Vermont Association of Snow Travelers. (the state snowmobile club)
We do to, it's how we log our miles to turn in for reimbursement for our State Grant.... Which is ONLY paid by Snowmobilers, zero tax dollars. Ours also track real time operation for our Club members and we can see if and where we have a groomer disabled.

Reactions: 1 users

Oo-v-oO

Equipment
2000 B7500
Oct 31, 2021
Central NH
As far as hobbies, I'm an amateur radio operator and love to help out at public service events as a communicator.
I also like to metal detect. History is cool.

Reactions: 1 users

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
Flown a few rockets :)
Both of these are fiberglass.
Table picture is one I flew to 9550 feet that day on a Aerotech J510
Launch pad is smaller super jart

Flight Summary:
Eggtimer Build_1.52 Flight Settings
...Comments:...Darkstar booster 2 5-27-2017
...LDA <50-500 by 50>...200
...Ascent Samples/sec <4,5,8,10,15,20,25,33>...15
...Interval(ms)...66
...Descent Samples/sec <1,2,4,5,10>...2
...Interval(ms)...500
...Main Mode <0-Off,1-Igniter,2-Servo CCW,3-Servo CW>...1
...Main Altitude <100-2000 by 50, 0 @ Apogee>...200
...Main ON-Time <1-9,0-Cont.>...2
...CHB Mode <0-Off,1-Igniter,2-Servo CCW,3-Servo CW...1
.........4-Airstart,5-Airstart w/o BW,6-Delay,7-B/U Drogue>
...CHB ON-Time <1-9,0-Cont.>...2
...Burn Timer <100-20000 ms by 100>...2000
...Airstart/Delay <0-9900 ms by 100>... ...0
...Airstart Min Velocity (0-700 by 50)...0
...Telemetry...0
ASL Alt.: 695
Base Temp: 3470
Beep Code: 0
Last Flight Phase: 9
Flight Timer:179496
Apogee:9550
T@Apogee:22440
Max Velocity:1091
T@ Max Velocity:3432
Avg Accel @ MaxV: 317.89
G: 9.87
LDA:206
Time@LDA:924
Altitude Burn Timer:973
T@ Burn Timer:2046
Alt Unlock:9499
T @ Unlock:20394
Altitude Nose-Over:9532
T@ Nose-Over:23496
Altitude CHB Trigger:9532
T@ CHB Trigger:23496
Main Trigger Altitude:181
T@ Main Trigger:170996

darkstar booster.jpg
super jart.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Very cool Michigander, looks great!
While In college in Boston in the 60's I broke my leg skiing at Stratton Mtn. With nothing better to do in my spare time I put together a load of Estes Rockets. Come the spring we brought them out to a park in Brookline and launched them. They were, as we used to say, one shotters. We put the biggest engines possible into them and a load of talcum powder in the parachute compartment. The theory was we would see when the parachutes deployed. Good theory. We did see one or 2 out of about 20. The rest are in rocket heaven. We did recover a single one.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have had several hobbies over several decades but my current hobby is building and driving my Ford Model T Roadster. I built this to be a daily driver, not a show car. It is all original without modifications of any sort. I bought this as a non running car on March 9, 2021. I had the engine running by the end of March. After I got the engine running I discovered that I had to rebuild the rear axle and differential, and do some work on the transmission to get it into fully drive-able condition. Once I got it into drive-able condition, I started driving it every place I went.

Of course there was a lot more that had to be done to get it in daily driving condition. Things like replacing broken windshield glass, replacing worn wheel bearings, wooden spokes for the wheels, new tires and inner tubes, painting, reconditioning seat upholstery, new transmission bands, and a whole host of other things to make it better. The list of work done and things replaced or repaired is a mile long but it is a worthwhile hobby project. Besides, I get to reward any little work I do on it with a "test drive".

Here is a picture of it.

20211002_110646.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Here's my resent project. It's one of my snowmobile clubs groomers. So far I've cut down the tracks 11/2 ft off each side, installed them, got the front blade cut down to just under 12ft. Next we'll start prepping to repaint it starting this weekend.
We could be grooming within a month....... Think Snow! View attachment 69115 View attachment 69116 View attachment 69117
have always wanted to play in one of them! So badass man. Question for you, i noticed Your name is Tughill Tom, do you know Kevin Harvey?

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Just thought I should add this here.

If anybody thinks they can't do it, or they're too old or something... That's nonsense. My team's skip is 77 years old, just had knees replaced, and also a booming voice (which is great for a skip). We also have a wheelchair curler in the club. I don't know where he stands at the moment, but I know he was trying out for the US paralympic team.
It's a great sport, very accessible. Hell, in my first year playing we had a bonspiel (tournament) and my team was playing right next to literal olympic curlers. I mean, they cleaned house, but still, it's awesome to be right there with them and learning what we can.
I’ve watched this on YouTube lol. It’s very cool! Never paid attention to what it was called lol. It looks hard though

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I seem to have had my share of hobbies. I'm not so much into collecting things though.

As far as bikes go I've owned a bunch - all Japanese. I was a long distance rider until 2 years ago when I sold my last ride an FJR1300 Yamaha sports tourer. In over 50 years I put almost a million miles on my bikes. No garage queens.

Like many here I was also obsessed with photography. In the 70's I started seriously with film - Nikon and a Mamiya RB67 gear. Most of my work was in black and white, developed and printed in my darkroom. 30 years later I converted to Canon digital.

Amateur Radio (Ham) has been an on and off again hobby of mine. First licensed in 1960 I have been through the 'build your own stuff' stage and being a DX chaser (one who tries to contact rare and/or far away places). Its a hobby you can leave and come back to again and again.

Computer programming and now building is a hobby I enjoy. In 1976 I built my 1st computer - a breadboarded 8008. I learned to program it in machine language before getting an assembler. Today I build high end desktops for fun. I built ones for my daughter and two of my sons and one for my grandson. One is under construction in my workshop right now to replace my own desktop. This one is based on the 5950X cpu. There is still a thrill when you finish and power it up and it actually boots up.

I have created a large video camera network connected to our LAN that has allowed be to video the various wildlife that wander through the property.

Last but certainly not least the tractor has become a hobby / work tool for me. Its fun farkling it up (MC term) and getting implements that allow me to do things I never could have.

So many hobbies, so little time!
Funny I have a L3800 and a gen 1 FJR. Although, I’m looking to change to an ADV bike just can’t find exactly what I want in my price range.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Benhamen, great minds think alike :)

The FJR was a really fun bike. Took my last long ride on it - out to CA, OR & WA. Last 3 states in the lower 48 I hadn't ridden in.
1636212508496.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Always nice to talk to like minded collectors. Does anyone in here collect anything? Toys, Hotwheels, Legos, pez, old tools, ex wives, cars, Rc cars?

Let’s see some collections or hotrods and motorcycles Here’s a pic of my Bike and wife
Sorry, I don't have a pretty girl (like the OP) to model on my old Harley, but here it is anyways....2004 Road King Classic.

tubing.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
No I don't know him, but I used to live in NJ and moved up here full time 4 years ago.
That’s funny, he’s from Redfield and lives in New Jersey. That’s why i asked, he’s big into snow mobiles up there. Where at in New Jersey did you used to live?

Last edited:

LarryBud

Equipment
L3130
Dec 5, 2020
Cleveland, MO
Seems like many common interest here ( not surprising ). Aside from the farm / tractor / farm projects, I spend plenty of time riding motorcycles. I keep the stable to 2-3 at a time but it would be easy and nice to expand the collection. Fortunately, I only has so much room and some discipline in this arena.

My other hobby muzzleloader guns, shooting them and hunting with them. Last fall I had two rifles ready for a 300 yard shot to go to NM Elk hunting. I ended up with an 85 yard shot but both guns were ready For 300. It took the whole summer to dial them in. It was quite the project but I loved every minute of it.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Seems like many common interest here ( not surprising ). Aside from the farm / tractor / farm projects, I spend plenty of time riding motorcycles. I keep the stable to 2-3 at a time but it would be easy and nice to expand the collection. Fortunately, I only has so much room and some discipline in this arena.

My other hobby muzzleloader guns, shooting them and hunting with them. Last fall I had two rifles ready for a 300 yard shot to go to NM Elk hunting. I ended up with an 85 yard shot but both guns were ready For 300. It took the whole summer to dial them in. It was quite the project but I loved every minute of it.
Yeah man, pretty cool to talk to people into the same sort of stuff as you. Such as this forum as well. Guns are fun too, my family owned a hunting store for 50 plus years