What does everyone collect or do for a hobby?

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Thanks Richard. Actually probably 2-3 too many bikes but I just can't decide which to part with. :)

What do you have?

Reactions: 1 user

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Thanks Richard. Actually probably 2-3 too many bikes but I just can't decide which to part with. :)

What do you have?
2020 wr250r, 2010 dyna wide glide, a 1956kh model, aka same bike Elvis had, 1973 dt 175, 1973 ct 175, 1980 rm80, 1980yamaha 100 enduro, 1984 Honda trail 50, and not sure of they years of the other yamaha’s and i have A bunch of quads as well.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Yeah I’ve been looking into them, my son has been nagging for one. I’ll get one soon.

That’s the route I’ll probably go. The beginner route, I definitely want one. Or a helicopter. And electric, im tired of playing with gas
Back in the mid 60's my rich uncle (Sam) let me fly one of his "trainer" planes.
Then he upgraded me to a bigger, faster trainer.
Then to a still bigger twin engine trainer.
Finally he let me fly his much bigger (not a trainer) 4 engine one.
Lotsa fun!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
2020 wr250r, 2010 dyna wide glide, a 1956kh model, aka same bike Elvis had, 1973 dt 175, 1973 ct 175, 1980 rm80, 1980yamaha 100 enduro, 1984 Honda trail 50, and not sure of they years of the other yamaha’s and i have A bunch of quads as well.
Nice group of bikes! I recently had a WR250R and Dyna (FXDXI) a while back, but unfortunately none of the older, small 2-strokes.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Back in the mid 60's my rich uncle (Sam) let me fly one of his "trainer" planes.
Then he upgraded me to a bigger, faster trainer.
Then to a still bigger twin engine trainer.
Finally he let me fly his much bigger (not a trainer) 4 engine one.
Lotsa fun!
That’s pretty cool. I wish I knew Someone who had some planes i could Fly

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Nice group of bikes! I recently had a WR250R and Dyna (FXDXI) a while back, but unfortunately none of the older, small 2-strokes.
Thanks man! I’ve always had a soft spot for vintage stuff. And it makes you feel a certain type of way when you ride it

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That rich uncle (Sam) has lots of 'em!
All I did was talk to his recruiter, and I was "in".

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
That Uncle Sam guy is pretty generous. He sent me through Electronics school and a half-dozen equipment-specific schools all while providing me with room and board and a little spending money.

Then provided all expenses paid trips to exotic lands like the Philippines, Japan and Iceland!

And, after a mere 22 years, he even pays me a little pension every month!

Reactions: 6 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
That Uncle Sam guy is pretty generous. He sent me through Electronics school and a half-dozen equipment-specific schools all while providing me with room and board and a little spending money.

Then provided all expenses paid trips to exotic lands like the Philippines, Japan and Iceland!

Well thank you guys for your service

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
Probably any club near you would let you fly. Our club certainly does.
The way it works is called "Buddy boxing".
You get a student radio which the instructor can over ride at any time simply by moving a stick.
Very low risk, I'll buddy with anyone on most of my planes. Great for kids too.

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Probably any club near you would let you fly. Our club certainly does.
The way it works is called "Buddy boxing".
You get a student radio which the instructor can over ride at any time simply by moving a stick.
Very low risk, I'll buddy with anyone on most of my planes. Great for kids too.
oh wow that’s pretty cool. Never knew such a thing exists. I’ll have to ask the guys the. Ext time I see them out there flying

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
I'm not much of a collector (unless you count cardboard boxes from Amazon), but my hobby is curling. It looks like a drinking game (and, to be honest, drinking is more than a small part of the culture) but there really isn't a ton of time get to your can, take a swig and run back to be ready for the next throw. It's a surprisingly aerobic sport.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I have had small collections over the years.
1966 Plymouth Satellite convertible, extremely nice riding road car
1969 Dodge superbee clone , nice running, not so nice for long road trips, lol.
Some nice vintage 22 autoloading pistols, including a few Colt Woodsman's, Hi-Standards and first model Ruger standard autos.

I also have a small collection of vintage pocket knives, mostly slip joints and as a hobby have made a few myself. Below are two that I made from scatch/raw materials. The single blade slip joint has covers made from Mammoth Ivory. The large "sportsman's" multi blade knife features all parts made in my small shop , including scissors and even the scissor pivot screw.

Now I collect small tractors and orange colored implements! :)
That being said I think my most important collection are the family and friends and memories over the years.
Image 1-17-19 at 9.30 AM.jpeg
IMG_7410.JPG

Reactions: 2 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I'm not much of a collector (unless you count cardboard boxes from Amazon), but my hobby is curling. It looks like a drinking game (and, to be honest, drinking is more than a small part of the culture) but there really isn't a ton of time get to your can, take a swig and run back to be ready for the next throw. It's a surprisingly aerobic sport.
Sounds very interesting

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I tried starting a primer collection (small and large pistol) last year. I failed. Miserably. :(

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I seem to have had my share of hobbies. I'm not so much into collecting things though.

As far as bikes go I've owned a bunch - all Japanese. I was a long distance rider until 2 years ago when I sold my last ride an FJR1300 Yamaha sports tourer. In over 50 years I put almost a million miles on my bikes. No garage queens.

Like many here I was also obsessed with photography. In the 70's I started seriously with film - Nikon and a Mamiya RB67 gear. Most of my work was in black and white, developed and printed in my darkroom. 30 years later I converted to Canon digital.

Amateur Radio (Ham) has been an on and off again hobby of mine. First licensed in 1960 I have been through the 'build your own stuff' stage and being a DX chaser (one who tries to contact rare and/or far away places). Its a hobby you can leave and come back to again and again.

Computer programming and now building is a hobby I enjoy. In 1976 I built my 1st computer - a breadboarded 8008. I learned to program it in machine language before getting an assembler. Today I build high end desktops for fun. I built ones for my daughter and two of my sons and one for my grandson. One is under construction in my workshop right now to replace my own desktop. This one is based on the 5950X cpu. There is still a thrill when you finish and power it up and it actually boots up.

I have created a large video camera network connected to our LAN that has allowed be to video the various wildlife that wander through the property.

Last but certainly not least the tractor has become a hobby / work tool for me. Its fun farkling it up (MC term) and getting implements that allow me to do things I never could have.

So many hobbies, so little time!

Reactions: 2 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I have essentially the same 'hobby' which I had as a child (and much of my career)...

Electro-mechanical troubleshooting and repair.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

The uncle does not pay me any pension, because I quit working for him after 8 years.
I did retire as a 747-400 captain though, thanks to my early training from my uncle Sam.