L2800 sluggish FEL and box blade

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
I had my sight glass break and fall out while working- pumped out a lot of fluid. Got a new glass and added fluid back. Tractor runs fine but loader and box blade act like they have no fluid going to them- very sluggish and chattering. I went ahead and replaced the suction tube behind the brake pedals just to be sure I did not have a small air leak, but no improvement. Any suggestions?? Don't know if I got debris in it while the glass was out and maybe it has clogged something somewhere. Was going to do a fluid /filter replacement but figured I would check here first. Any ideas are greatly appreciated!!

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Check if symptoms the same when box blade lowered. I want to rule out any issues with the 3 pt hitch feedback linkage.

There is a small link connected to one of the upper 3 pt lift arms. Its purpose is to kick off the flow to the 3 pt lift cylinder when it reaches the end of its stroke.

Did you disconnect any hoses in your repair?

Dave

Reactions: 1 user

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
Check if symptoms the same when box blade lowered. I want to rule out any issues with the 3 pt hitch feedback linkage.

There is a small link connected to one of the upper 3 pt lift arms. Its purpose is to kick off the flow to the 3 pt lift cylinder when it reaches the end of its stroke.

Did you disconnect any hoses in your repair?

Dave
Dave, the loader lowers smoothly as does the box blade.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Dave, the loader lowers smoothly as does the box blade.
Steve

To be clear, you need to locate the feedback linkage and make certain it is not compromised.

Missing or damaged feedback stuff wont affect any lowering. What it will do is bleed off hydraulic flow thus impairing loader and 3 pt functions.

Dave

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
Steve

To be clear, you need to locate the feedback linkage and make certain it is not compromised.

Missing or damaged feedback stuff wont affect any lowering. What it will do is bleed off hydraulic flow thus impairing loader and 3 pt functions.

Dave
Thanks so much for the info Dave. Will try to locate and check it today. Any tips on where it is on the tractor?? Mechanics are not my strongest ability but can figure most things out.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
How much fluid did you put back in?? What fluid did you use? Kubota labeled oil or some other brand?

I had the line come off the cooler when I was running my chipper. I lost 3 gallons and was able to drive it back to the barn to fill it up. There 7.5 gallons total...

I guess if you were working it, sloshing the oil around might got some air in the line. I would try and cycle Up and curl then back down a few times (only IF you use Kubota hydraulic oil) There are some hydraulic oil that does NOT work in the tractor.

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
Thanks so much for the info Dave. Will try to locate and check it today. Any tips on where it is on the tractor?? Mechanics are not my strongest ability but can figure most things out.
I filled it back up to the sight line. Had to use Kubota UDT fluid as they were out of Sudt2 at the time. Wouldn't think the difference in fluid would cause an issue, would you?

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
If the engine and the pump sound like normal... I would cycle the system; FEL and 3 point hitch, several times.
I have done that. I did notice, which may be what Dave was taking about, the each time I have tried to use the FEL, it moves slower each time. Almost like something is restricting the fluid flow to the attachment.

jcrane

Equipment
mx5200
Nov 4, 2021
Linden Tn
my mx5200 is on its 3 rd clutch failure in less than 600 hours the last one has not lasted 100 hours.I have been using tractors for over 40 years and this is the first clutch problem i have ever had i believe kubota has a bad design for its clutch have had 300hp cars with same size clutch without failures

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
probably 3 gallons- it was pumping out...
The sight glass is at the top of a big old tank that is NOT under pressure. Was it actually "pumping"??? I could only see oil coming out by sloshing out. Certainly I can not see 3 gallons coming out of there...

Where as the cooler hose (that came off of mine) was under pressure... Is your tractor still holding the oil that you put in?

I kind of wondering if Dave_eng is on to something.... I don't know enough about it.

Something very quick and easy to check is remove and reattach each of the Loader hydraulic connections to the FEL(but this doesn't explain the 3 point hitch not working correctly).

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
The sight glass is at the top of a big old tank that is NOT under pressure. Was it actually "pumping"??? I could only see oil coming out by sloshing out. Certainly I can not see 3 gallons coming out of there...

Where as the cooler hose (that came off of mine) was under pressure... Is your tractor still holding the oil that you put in?

I kind of wondering if Dave_eng is on to something.... Something very quick and easy to check is remove and reattach each of the Loader hydraulic connections (but this doesn't explain the 3 point hitch not working correctly).
I could see a trail of fluid on the ground behind where I had been cutting. It is holding the fluid fine and don't see any leakage. I am going to try and locate the linkage that Dave_eng mentioned. It's like it has gotten progressively slower to lift the FEL -
seems like something has blocked the flow. I will see if pulling the loader connections makes a difference. Thanks for the help!

SCSTEVE

Equipment
L2800 HST
Nov 3, 2021
South Carolina
I checked the linkage and it is fine. Loader will barely move and when I just drove it, the steering is getting jumpy as well. Noise coming from what I assume is the pump. Looks like it may be going to the shop😞

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Do you see a bubble in the sight glass? If not put some more in it. Sounds low.