What does everyone collect or do for a hobby?

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
I'm into model railroading: Southern Pacific 1935-1956 (from 1/220 Z all the way to 1/32 I-scale and live steam; I probably have the largest SP collection in Europe 🤪 🤯) and Belgian steam locomotives 1835-1967, plus a collection of Marklin HO equipment from the '60s through the '80s.

Layout building (a 1550 sq.ft. hay loft is waiting...) has to wait another three years until I retire.

Reactions: 2 users

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Lx2610 Cab, Fel, Backhoe, Grapple, Box Grader, Forks
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I'm into model railroading: Southern Pacific 1935-1956 (from 1/220 Z all the way to 1/32 I-scale and live steam; I probably have the largest SP collection in Europe 🤪 🤯) and Belgian steam locomotives 1835-1967, plus a collection of Marklin HO equipment from the '60s through the '80s.

Layout building (a 1550 sq.ft. hay loft is waiting...) has to wait another three years until I retire.
Wow that sounds amazing! Do you have any pictures that you care to share?

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Guns
40's - 80's Jeeps
Pint glasses

None of which I have a whole lot of to brag about, but a few more than the average bear.

Jeeps - I have parts to build about 3 1940's Willys, and about 3 Jeep CJ's, oh and 2 running CJ's. (need more!)
Pint Glasses - Maybe 30-40 from around New England (need more!)
Guns - Just lost them all in a boating accident, sorry. (need more!)

Reactions: 1 user

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
Guns
40's - 80's Jeeps
Pint glasses

None of which I have a whole lot of to brag about, but a few more than the average bear.

Jeeps - I have parts to build about 3 1940's Willys, and about 3 Jeep CJ's, oh and 2 running CJ's. (need more!)
Pint Glasses - Maybe 30-40 from around New England (need more!)
Guns - Just lost them all in a boating accident, sorry. (need more!)
thats Awesome. I used to be into Jeep’s when I was younger. I still dream of owning a military Jeep, i used To have a deuce and a half. I have A friend big into Keeps though.
So what happened to your guns?

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
I have had small collections over the years.
1966 Plymouth Satellite convertible, extremely nice riding road car
1969 Dodge superbee clone , nice running, not so nice for long road trips, lol.
Some nice vintage 22 autoloading pistols, including a few Colt Woodsman's, Hi-Standards and first model Ruger standard autos.

I also have a small collection of vintage pocket knives, mostly slip joints and as a hobby have made a few myself. Below are two that I made from scatch/raw materials. The single blade slip joint has covers made from Mammoth Ivory. The large "sportsman's" multi blade knife features all parts made in my small shop , including scissors and even the scissor pivot screw.

Now I collect small tractors and orange colored implements! :)
That being said I think my most important collection are the family and friends and memories over the years. View attachment 69002 View attachment 69003
i used to collect pocket knives, mostly older Swiss army and older buck knives, never attempted to build one on my own though

RichardAaronlx2610

Equipment
Aug 3, 2021
New Jersey
That’s
I seem to have had my share of hobbies. I'm not so much into collecting things though.

As far as bikes go I've owned a bunch - all Japanese. I was a long distance rider until 2 years ago when I sold my last ride an FJR1300 Yamaha sports tourer. In over 50 years I put almost a million miles on my bikes. No garage queens.

Like many here I was also obsessed with photography. In the 70's I started seriously with film - Nikon and a Mamiya RB67 gear. Most of my work was in black and white, developed and printed in my darkroom. 30 years later I converted to Canon digital.

Amateur Radio (Ham) has been an on and off again hobby of mine. First licensed in 1960 I have been through the 'build your own stuff' stage and being a DX chaser (one who tries to contact rare and/or far away places). Its a hobby you can leave and come back to again and again.

Computer programming and now building is a hobby I enjoy. In 1976 I built my 1st computer - a breadboarded 8008. I learned to program it in machine language before getting an assembler. Today I build high end desktops for fun. I built ones for my daughter and two of my sons and one for my grandson. One is under construction in my workshop right now to replace my own desktop. This one is based on the 5950X cpu. There is still a thrill when you finish and power it up and it actually boots up.

I have created a large video camera network connected to our LAN that has allowed be to video the various wildlife that wander through the property.

Last but certainly not least the tractor has become a hobby / work tool for me. Its fun farkling it up (MC term) and getting implements that allow me to do things I never could have.

So many hobbies, so little time!
That’s pretty Cool man, a good friend of mine is big into ham radio. I always Look for stuff at theFlea market for him. Not sure if his handle though. I’m also into photography, I recently went Canon mirrorless. So far so good

Daylight

Equipment
BX231, Ortolan T10
Feb 25, 2021
Wow they are works of art! Now did you build them? Or are they made by a company?
Thank you! There's a bit of everything: some are made by the major brands (plastic), some by small, specialized brands (die cast or brass). Some are (brass/diecast/3D-printed) kits built to order or self-built, and some are kitbashed.

Here are a few more. The brown ("chocolate") 2-4-2 was designed by Belpaire himself, hence the Belpaire firebox and the square stack...

Oud Type 12.JPG
Type 53.JPG
Type 60.JPG
Type 29.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

ACDII

Equipment
B2410, L352 Loader, Woods BH70-X backhoe
Oct 21, 2021
Illinois
I started RC flying in 2011 and build most of my planes. I like building more than flying for some reason. I have a nearly done Corsair with a 3 cylinder radial, problem is I can't find a pilot that fits, the scales ones are an inch too tall, and they are not cheap, so cutting ones torso down to fit has me pausing on it.

I also have an 1/8th scale B-25 in the works, majority of the construction is done and is into final finishing and shaping before I can start assembling the gear in it. I plan to model Tootsie because of the unusual paint scheme and is a current actual bird.

I also have a laser cutter engraver that I work with and a friend of mine and I plan to create an 1/8th scale B-17 in true scale, and not the run of the mill G model but a true E model that is rarely ever modeled. It will be easy to get exact scales too since he has a real one in his barn that is being refurbished to flying condition.

I always raz the RC car guys because they don't have a clue on agony of defeat when it comes to RC. Their car breaks down, they just walk over and pick it up, when a plane breaks, it crashes, and we take a garbage bag with to pick up what's left. AKA Rekitting a plane.

Taking off is an option, Landing is mandatory, and I don't crash, I just land wrong.

Pawnee

Equipment
L2501
Jul 1, 2021
Ontario Canada
I always raz the RC car guys because they don't have a clue on agony of defeat when it comes to RC. Their car breaks down, they just walk over and pick it up, when a plane breaks, it crashes, and we take a garbage bag with to pick up what's left. AKA Rekitting a plane.

Taking off is an option, Landing is mandatory, and I don't crash, I just land wrong.
Amen brother!
Choose your pilot carefully, Michelle is the only Barbie I trust, most of them are pretty dumb.
I have crashed a time or two, as well as landed wrong.
Pilot_1.jpg
Pilot_2.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Buffalo

Equipment
L3901, FEL, mower deck
Mar 17, 2016
Oklahoma
I like to sing gourd dance songs at Native American powwows.

Reactions: 3 users

bmblank

Equipment
2020 L3901HST, LA525 Loader, 66" Q/A Bucket, PFL2042 Forks, Meteor SB68PT Blower
Mar 4, 2015
Cadillac, MI
Sounds very interesting
Just thought I should add this here.

If anybody thinks they can't do it, or they're too old or something... That's nonsense. My team's skip is 77 years old, just had knees replaced, and also a booming voice (which is great for a skip). We also have a wheelchair curler in the club. I don't know where he stands at the moment, but I know he was trying out for the US paralympic team.
It's a great sport, very accessible. Hell, in my first year playing we had a bonspiel (tournament) and my team was playing right next to literal olympic curlers. I mean, they cleaned house, but still, it's awesome to be right there with them and learning what we can.

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Here's my resent project. It's one of my snowmobile clubs groomers. So far I've cut down the tracks 11/2 ft off each side, installed them, got the front blade cut down to just under 12ft. Next we'll start prepping to repaint it starting this weekend.
We could be grooming within a month....... Think Snow!
DSC01076.JPG
DSC01077.JPG
DSC01078.JPG

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Can I ask why?
Too big to fit on some of the trails we maintain. The drag we pull is 10ft so that's what we run. It would have been 13+ft on the ground, we can work the blade not the tracks. It going to be tight, but if anything is in the way we'll move it! This thing is a monster@350Hp+

• Wow