B2650 Cab Noise Reduction

91bird

Equipment
B2650 Cab
Jul 13, 2021
NC
I've read a few threads on noise in the Cab of B2650 models. After 200 hours on my tractor I decided to make an effort to improve the situation. I took a weekend and added multiple layers of sound deadening to the interior and made a significant difference to the sound level. 2 layers of dynamat extreme were used, 1 layer dynaliner 1/2", 1 layer of dynapad 1/2".

The source of noise has now been isolated to the HST pedal. A significant amount of noise originates from the pedal and I don't have a solution at this point to make it better. Appears the vibration from the hydraulics transmits through the linkage into the cab. I did notice a greese zerk on the HST pedal pivot that I didn't see listed in the owners manual.

As a side note, maybe the AC will be colder when it's 100° outside now that the floor of the cab is insulated from the hot hydraulics sitting directly below the cab.

Any solutions for HST pedal noise?

Reactions: 2 users

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
No, but I've not been able to locate a grease zerk on the hydro peddle on my L2501 yet it seems there surely must be one because that peddle is used continuously. The brake which seldom gets used has one. I'll keep looking and feeling around.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Is the noise present at idle? Have you checked to see if there is a linkage adjustment?

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
I did notice a greese zerk on the HST pedal pivot that I didn't see listed in the owners manual.
Wow.......the factory service manual says there are exactly two.....one on the brake linkage and on the the top linkage of the 3 point. But yeah look at that.....I do have that one.

(and wow, you really went all the way with the dynamat)

I'm very interested if you track down a way to make it better in the cab. I gave up on it and just wear headphones, but I'd rather not.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I added sound deadening to the roof, sidewalls, and sealed under the seat of my BX2200. Finally opted for a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones. Looks like you went through much more work then I have though

Reactions: 1 users

91bird

Equipment
B2650 Cab
Jul 13, 2021
NC
I added sound deadening to the roof, sidewalls, and sealed under the seat of my BX2200. Finally opted for a pair of Bose noise canceling headphones. Looks like you went through much more work then I have though
I picked up sony noise canceling headphones as well.

The pivot I will investigate later. I need to modify my top and tilt hydraulics and add the mount for a laser receiver on the box blade.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
I added a cab to my BX2670 last fall, the whine from the hyrdo is horrible. If Kubota insists on this inferior type of propulsion, they really should do something about that whine!

No, mine is no worse than any of the dozens I've watched on youtube. Hydro whine is louder than the exhaust on every one of them.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
If Kubota insists on this inferior type of propulsion, they really should do something about that whine!
My L isn’t noisy unless I’m using too much pedal. Now would be a good time to sell/trade your inferior tractor assuming you can find a different one that meets your noise requirements.

Or, you could revisit how you are using your HST just in case it might get quieter.

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
I added a cab to my BX2670 last fall, the whine from the hyrdo is horrible. If Kubota insists on this inferior type of propulsion, they really should do something about that whine!

No, mine is no worse than any of the dozens I've watched on youtube. Hydro whine is louder than the exhaust on every one of them.
Hydros are noisy. Not Kubota hydros. Hydros, period. This is not news.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with it, but this is why people need to research before buying. I'm perfectly happy with my 2650 HST with a cab. If I can improve it to make it quieter great! If not, I knew what I was buying and I'm fine with that.

In the end, the smart money answer on "noise reduction" is to buy a set of comfortable high quality noise reduction headphones or IEMs.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
My L isn’t noisy unless I’m using too much pedal. Now would be a good time to sell/trade your inferior tractor assuming you can find a different one that meets your noise requirements.

Or, you could revisit how you are using your HST just in case it might get quieter.
Let's see, I mow in low range with the pedal pushed to the floor, this gives me the correct speed. Tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Hydros are noisy. Not Kubota hydros. Hydros, period. This is not news.

I'm sorry you aren't happy with it, but this is why people need to research before buying. I'm perfectly happy with my 2650 HST with a cab. If I can improve it to make it quieter great! If not, I knew what I was buying and I'm fine with that.

In the end, the smart money answer on "noise reduction" is to buy a set of comfortable high quality noise reduction headphones or IEMs.
Hydros are noisy. Gears are more efficient, and if properly cut, much less noisy. However, they require a clutch to be operated, which is simply too much effort for the average American, so everybody builds hydros, and I was unable to buy what I wanted.

I knew it would suck when I bought it, but had no choice. Maybe if people learned how to operate a clutch, and gave feedback, tractor manufacturers would make something that worked, rather than something that was easy enough for the laziest, incompetent, person to operate.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Let's see, I mow in low range with the pedal pushed to the floor, this gives me the correct speed. Tell me exactly what I'm doing wrong.
Do you consider it noisy when it is only part way to the floor?

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
Do you consider it noisy when it is only part way to the floor?
It is noisy any time it's engaged. Just like every one of the dozens of Kubota videos I've seen.
If it's overloaded in high range, it gets worse, but it never gets less. Just like every one of the dozens of Kubota videos I've seen.

Motronic

Equipment
B2650, Z421
Jun 3, 2021
PA
Hydros are noisy. Gears are more efficient, and if properly cut, much less noisy. However, they require a clutch to be operated, which is simply too much effort for the average American, so everybody builds hydros, and I was unable to buy what I wanted.

I knew it would suck when I bought it, but had no choice. Maybe if people learned how to operate a clutch, and gave feedback, tractor manufacturers would make something that worked, rather than something that was easy enough for the laziest, incompetent, person to operate.
You bought a baby tractor. They are all HST now, period. It's not because people are "lazy" or don't know how to use a clutch, it's because the overwhelming amount of workloads on a tractor of that size are best suited to HST. So overwhelming that it makes no sense to even produce a geared one anymore.

Anything larger than that can be had with either. And I still chose HST because I know what MY use case is, not because I'm "lazy" or can't operate a clutch. If my use case were different I very well might have bought something geared.

Reactions: 1 users