How good is alternate energy?

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
re: Making hydrogen (and oxygen) from water and surplus electricity,
yes BUT it requires MORE energy to break down H2O into H and O than you can get from using the H and O....

one of those nasty Physics laws.....
Second Law of Thermodynamics: "You can't break even"

That's a drawback of ANY form of unstable energy generation: in order to keep the supply stable, you need to generate more than is needed whenever possible, and store it - and in ALL cases, you will never get back as much as you put in. The only differences between various storage media is how much you can get back, and how long you can store it.

Reactions: 1 users

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
The last time I checked by definition a gas (methane) fills the container that it is enclosed in.
I believe, when measuring how much volume a gas consumes.... it is COMPRESSED INTO LIQUID STATE. (at which point, it no longer compresses)

For example, propane is also known as LPG (Liquid Propane Gas).

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I believe, when measuring how much volume a gas consumes.... it is COMPRESSED INTO LIQUID STATE. (at which point, it no longer compresses)

For example, propane is also known as LPG (Liquid Propane Gas).
I do not think a cow would produce the 300 liters or 80 gallons of methane per day. A cow only consumes 30 to 50 gallons of water per day plus 25 pounds of food how would it produce 80 gallons times 3.88 pounds per gallon of methane equals 310 pounds of methane per day.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
re: Making hydrogen (and oxygen) from water and surplus electricity,
yes BUT it requires MORE energy to break down H2O into H and O than you can get from using the H and O....

one of those nasty Physics laws.....
Of course it does but it's storage. Consider they're using surplus electricity that there's no use for, waste electricity. Only rather than waste it, it is utilized to make hydrogen which can be stored to be used to make electricity when the wind isn't blowing or sun shining.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
(Pumping water uphill INTO a hydroelectric dam has been done for years)
Ram pumps. Archimedes screw, also works flowing down to make electrical power, Water wheel piston pumps, there are a more but you get the idea. All they need is flowing water to make them work. They have been used for hundreds of years. Making hydrogen requires beaucoup more energy than it produces.
What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done; there is nothing new under the sun.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Have you seen the heat pumps that put heat into the house when it's -24F outside?

One I saw was made my Mr Cool, and was installed in Fargo ND with no backup heat. Pretty amazing what is being developed.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I wonder what the power usage was, and the cost of the unit

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: Consider they're using surplus electricity that there's no use for,

'surplus' electricity don't exist in Ontario.....,got a &^^$$%^ high bill to prove that, I even get charged for the 'power loss' in getting electrons to me !

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It is well-known that electric heat is 99.99% efficient. (all the power is converted into heat) however, the cost of electricity is very high so it is not cost-effective to convert electricity into heat.

HOWEVER: A "heat pump" is a GREAT way to conserve electricity. This is because the electricity is used to MOVE the heat... not converted into heat.

Modern heat-pumps use variable-speed (DC Brushless) compressors and fans so minimal electricity is used move the heat. This same technology is used in modern refrigeration/freezers. A lot of computer power is needed to manage all of this.... and the cost of powerful computer-chips has become dirt-cheep in the past 10 years.

DNDN

Jul 12, 2021
UK
Of course, alternative energy is better than traditional energy, because it is less harmful to humans and nature. The main source of energy is coal, but it is a relic of the past. My grandfather worked in a coal mine for 20 years and ruined his health. And there are thousands of people like that who have suffered for the common good. Isn't it better to use energy from the sun or water, for example? Especially now there are a bunch of companies like this https://www.simplyswitch.com/energy/suppliers/bulb-energy/. They directly sell you electricity and gas that has been extracted from alternative sources. We should all take care of our health and the health of our nature.

Last edited:

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
The net saving and efficiencies from alternative energy is very low at this point. And as for global warming, the same people lie about everything, ie. race -sex- etc. So who in their right mind would believe them on GW.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Well, not everyone is in their right mind. ;) All of those heavy metals and chemicals used for production are great for everyone, and who cares if we lose birds to wind turbines.

I think most of know the reason that “green” energy is called “green” is that they give “green” to the politicians that support their companies, so the companies make more “green”. ;)

Of course, we could just ask all those Texans that lost wind power how much they like it.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Of course, alternative energy is better than traditional energy, because it is less harmful to humans and nature.

Do you have any proof of this? All forms of energy come at a cost and yet there is no hard line as to what is good energy or bad energy. Solar farms waste good farm land are ugly and limited in power, wind farms are just not feasible in many locations. Enviromentalist do not like hydro electric. Nuclear energy has its own set of problems with production and waste disposal.

Every one on the green side wants to condemn fossil fuels. They better take a look at all the things that come from fossil fuels. How many will give up their a/c and heated home? All that lithium for the batteries is not without its own problems How about the fresh produce found in the supermarket? For the heck of it how many will give up the super market all together. Amazon might say they are going to electric trucks to save the plant but wouldn't the earth be better off if Amazon just stop selling unneeded products? Shut the lights off in the cities.

This is a very complex problem that is not solve by the PC statements that fossil fuels are bad and we must stop using them. Most people enjoy the standard of life that the fossil fuels allow us to enjoy. Giving them up will give a very different standard of life that we will not enjoy.

ddavis83864

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060
Mar 3, 2021
I
Ethanol has the same problem. When you calculate all the energy used to grow a bushel of corn (diesel, fertilizer, electricity, etc) plus the electricity and natural gas required to distill the alcohol and blend it with gasoline, it really is a taxpayer and environmental boondoggle.

I don't disagree with the premise that ethanol is a loss leader but the tax payer funded subsidies ended in 2011. The ethanol industry no longer receives any incentives.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/rrapie...After fighting to keep the,at the end of 2011.

Orange man hero

Equipment
LX2610HSD
Mar 12, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
People in general have little comprehension of saving any energy. How many farm, city and suburb lights do I see burning all day every day for no good reason. In rural areas millions of useless stop sign stops are made every day when there are no cars of trucks around. Truckers know that it takes a lot more energy to get a vehicle going forward again after a stop compared to a slow roll. I slow roll thru most rural stop signs.