3 point hitch 101

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
....and I mean barely 101, this might be elementary school. :(
alternative title: I'm an accountant, not a farmer, more money than brains......

Question: Hooked up and used my 3 point hitch for the first time last night, why did it take me 30 minutes to attach my chipper and why is it crooked????
View attachment 61554 View attachment 61555
The real reason the chipper is crooked is that there is no PTO shaft between it and the tractor.

The tool will need to come off to install the pto shaft.. The second time you fit up the attachment, it will be much easier, and you will have gained the understanding of what all the parts and pieces are for, and how to adjust them! ;-)

Stuff just works out!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
I just want to add to this thread because I could not find it anywhere on the internet:
2021 Woodland Mills WC46 + 2020 Kubota BX 23S = a stock PTO shaft trim of 9 (NINE) inches!
Every video I watched was either 1/2 inch or maybe up to a few inches. I was so worried I got my measurements wrong I measured 4 times.
Stock factory shaft = 29 1/2"
Slot to slot from tractor to chipper = 21 1/2"
+1" per the instructions, cut and fit, seems to work fine, although I'm stuck back here at work before running it.
Note: In fitting this shaft I would have realized if I did NOT measure and just tried to fit it on there without measuring, there is NO way it would have fit, it had to be trimmed a LOT.

pchieffo

Equipment
BX 2660, LandPride Grading Scraper, LandPride Rake, Woodland Mills WC46 Chipper
Apr 21, 2021
Rindge, NH
I just want to add to this thread because I could not find it anywhere on the internet:
2021 Woodland Mills WC46 + 2020 Kubota BX 23S = a stock PTO shaft trim of 9 (NINE) inches!
Every video I watched was either 1/2 inch or maybe up to a few inches. I was so worried I got my measurements wrong I measured 4 times.
Stock factory shaft = 29 1/2"
Slot to slot from tractor to chipper = 21 1/2"
+1" per the instructions, cut and fit, seems to work fine, although I'm stuck back here at work before running it.
Note: In fitting this shaft I would have realized if I did NOT measure and just tried to fit it on there without measuring, there is NO way it would have fit, it had to be trimmed a LOT.
Glad to hear you got the chipper!

I just checked my shaft cutoff, it was 6 inches for my BX 2660. But I have a quick hitch which moves it back about 3 inches so 9 inches seems right on the money.

I would highly recommend a quick hitch of some sort (I have a Land Pride QH05). I can back up to the chipper, raise the hitch, it snaps in, and I'm connected in seconds. Then of course I have to fight the PTO shaft for a few minutes of course! :D

I used to struggle every time getting attachments on, when I finally got the QH, I was kicking myself for waiting so long.

Reactions: 1 user