First regen at 16 hrs.

Snowman7

Equipment
LX3310 535 loader, LX2980, RB2672, FDR1660
May 20, 2020
Boyne Falls, MI.
Went ok, I grabbed the manual and frantically started reading. We ended up with a parked regen, which went exactly like the book said. I tried to continue mowing and have the regen occur while I went about my business but that did not work, not sure why.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I know nothing about the new Tier IV 's .......

but I do know - the higher you run up the RPM's when using the less the regen light comes on.

Hotter engine leads to a hotter exhaust = more particulates burning off the screen less regen times.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
so... the tractor's sitting still , engine running doing the 'regen thing' ?
Man what a WASTE of diesel fuel and hours on the tractor !!!
Have to ask how LONG is a 'regen ' cycle ? Over a year , it cold add up to a LOT of wasted($$$$) time

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
My M5660 regens about every 20 hours and takes 0.2 hours (12 minutes). I run at whatever rpm the job calls for, not 1800-3000 like most folks recommend.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I know nothing about the new Tier IV 's .......

but I do know - the higher you run up the RPM's when using the less the regen light comes on.

Hotter engine leads to a hotter exhaust = more particulates burning off the screen less regen times.
A few tenths over thirty hours on the new L3901 and no regen to date. I have made a point of keeping engine speed up and avoid idling.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Don't know why anyone would want to do a "parked" regeneration.

Almost 500 hours on my M7060 now. Regeneration is totally seamless...I don't even know it is happening unless I see the light on in the dash. When I have noticed the light is on, it always goes out again within 10 minutes or so - but then I wasn't watching to see when it actually came on. I use the EPTO exclusively so the tractor is turning ~ 1850 rpms all the time because that's 540 PTO rpm. So I see no need to turn the engine any faster than that.

I too was scared of this new emission crap when I bought the tractor but regeneration has turned out to be a non-issue.

57plymouth

Equipment
Kubota L3901 with FEL, 1955 Ford 900 Row Crop
Oct 26, 2020
Blythewood, SC
My L3901 went into regen around 16 hours. I ran the engine speed up until the regen light did it's thing, and I kept working. Yes, it tosses out a ton of heat. But I didn't have to do the whole parked regen thing. It really wasn't much of an event.

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
My 4701 regen's about every 30 hr. Takes 15-18 minutes, haven't found a combination of RPM and temp that makes it any shorter. My regen process does not like to be stopped in progress, seems to just about start over, though I haven't spent the effort to determine this. I live on steep, rocky land, and I cannot run the engine 2000-2500 all the time, so I live with the 30-hr thing.

When I talk about "stopping" the regen process, I mean if I reduce RPM below about 2000 for more than a moment.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
Thanks to you guys for posting some real life experiences with regens. I think it’s helpful to put the details in the open even if people will have different opinions if it is worth it to them or not.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
My 4701 regen's about every 30 hr. Takes 15-18 minutes, haven't found a combination of RPM and temp that makes it any shorter. My regen process does not like to be stopped in progress, seems to just about start over, though I haven't spent the effort to determine this. I live on steep, rocky land, and I cannot run the engine 2000-2500 all the time, so I live with the 30-hr thing.

When I talk about "stopping" the regen process, I mean if I reduce RPM below about 2000 for more than a moment.
Kubota recommends against interrupting the regen, supposedly it gets diesel in the engine oil. And they suggest not reducing the rpm once the regen is under way. I have reduced it a little, but don't agonize over a specific rpm, I suspect it depends on how hard you are working and how hot it is out. I do make sure it is not in auto throttle. I have not had occasion to do one when in cruise control. Simplest is shove the rpm until the light goes out and go on doing whatever. If working on hills could go down to low gear to reduce ground speed.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I had my first regen around 25 hours. I will likely be doing parked regens for the life of my tractor as I dont work it very hard. I really only needed this size tractor for lifting capacity. I'm coming up on 50 hours and the DPF meter is sitting at 93%.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I had my first regen around 25 hours. I will likely be doing parked regens for the life of my tractor as I dont work it very hard. I really only needed this size tractor for lifting capacity. I'm coming up on 50 hours and the DPF meter is sitting at 93%.
There is no correlation between how hard you work it and need for parked regen. I mostly do loader work with mine too unless I put the flail mower on. You can’t even do a parked regen unless you miss or ignore the lights and get to soot level II. Life is easier if you let it auto regen when it wants to. My older tractor (2013 L3560) is automatically inhibited so I pay attention to meter so I can push the button to turn auto regen on. If it is sitting at 99% and I want it to start and finish that day while I’m working, I idle it and that will usually kick it to 100% and it will then ask for the rpm increase.

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
I misspoke.... I wasn't forced into a parked regen, I was simply parked while it regenned. If I happen to be using the tractor when it calls for a regen, Ill bump it up and keep going. My first one was a situation such as you described, I was at 99%, done for the day and didn't want to shut it down so I idled for a couple minutes until it called for an increase in engine speed. Regen took about 11 minutes.

Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Went ok, I grabbed the manual and frantically started reading. We ended up with a parked regen, which went exactly like the book said. I tried to continue mowing and have the regen occur while I went about my business but that did not work, not sure why.
What model tractor do you have? Based on your equipment list it is a John Deere, not sure asking about regens on a Kubota forum is going to help.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
A few tenths over thirty hours on the new L3901 and no regen to date. I have made a point of keeping engine speed up and avoid idling.

Dan
That's quite a few hours without a regen. Are you sure that it hasn't.

Unless paying close attention, I do not notice when mine do (B3350 excepted when I am ALWAYS paying close attention).

SDT

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
so... the tractor's sitting still , engine running doing the 'regen thing' ?
Man what a WASTE of diesel fuel and hours on the tractor !!!
Have to ask how LONG is a 'regen ' cycle ? Over a year , it cold add up to a LOT of wasted($$$$) time
Agreed.

Though the regens occur seamlessly when operating my Kubotas, it seems that they usually want to regen at inopportune times, e.g., just finishing work and heading for the barn.

SDT

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Could you clarify a couple of items?
I have an L3901, 50+ hours.

My understanding is that parked regen is not directly selectable. You have to inhibit regen while regen light comes on while working and wait for level 2 warning. **OR** Ignore regen light in auto while working until soot level 2 is achieved. After one of the above produces a level 2 (parked regen light on meter flashing), parked regen is then possible.
Is my understanding correct?

Bark

Equipment
L4701/FM2560LA765/BB2560Pittsburgh disk Titan P forks
Feb 18, 2020
North CA
Gosh darn it. It cant be this complicated. Reading the manual gave me a headache.
56 hours without a regen. I know its getting close. I have several hours of disking to do and would love to have it regen while I am working it.
Is there anyway on my L4701 to manually start a regen while working?
Am I just missing something in the manual?
I notice some people refer to a " DPF meter". Do I have one that I am not aware of?

Botamon

Equipment
M7060HDC12, John Deere 2020 diesel
Mar 26, 2018
Winnemucca, Nevada
Could you clarify a couple of items?
I have an L3901, 50+ hours.

My understanding is that parked regen is not directly selectable. You have to inhibit regen while regen light comes on while working and wait for level 2 warning. **OR** Ignore regen light in auto while working until soot level 2 is achieved. After one of the above produces a level 2 (parked regen light on meter flashing), parked regen is then possible.
Is my understanding correct?
Don't know how your L3901 differs from my M7060. WHY would you want to "inhibit" regen?? When working and that regen light comes on in the dash, that means regen has started (at least with my M7060) and all you do is keep working - keep the rpms up and the engine hot - until the light goes back out, meaning the regen process is done.

The regen is meant to be a seamless process with no operator input needed. The only time you would interact with the process is, as someone stated above, that light comes on and you are about to park the tractor and turn it off. In that case you make sure to keep the engine rpms up until the regen process is done and then turn the engine off.

I think there's some confusion going on here. When that regen light comes on in the dash it means the regen process has started. It does NOT mean you need to inhibit the regen process. That light is there to remind the operator that the regen is in progress and NOT to idle the tractor or turn it off.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
So...., is parked regen selectable when the regen light in the meter first comes on? I am hearing not I think from ones that might have a similar setup.
Yes, my L3901 has an inhibit switch.
It's definitely not seamless, operator input is required.