DPF Emulator, Legal in U.S.?

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
Are you seeking opinions on the functionality or the legality? It may work fine but I suspect you'll find it to be totally illegal in the US and if caught the fines are prohibitively expensive. Unless and until they have tractor emissions checks though you can probably get away with it but I wouldn't personally do it.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
I think it’s probably illegal. But, there are litterally thousands or millions of DPF deletes on trucks, and very few arrests. YMMV. Obviously, CA would be very risky. Other states don’t even test vehicles that are newer ones.

I know people who only took their DPFs off their trucks after they were stranded multiple times. What were they supposed to do?

For my Kubota, I chose to skip the issue and buy a L2501.

Reactions: 3 users

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it is 100% illegal in the USA to tamper with or remove or disable any exhaust emissions device. I don't have the clause in front of me but you can research it for yourself if you please

for that reason there are few if any places in the USA that will defeat the devices. Even the automotive aftermarket is being attacked by lawmakers over this stuff. Many have advertised "for off road or racing use only" and gotten away with it for years. Not anymore. They're taking backdoor tactics to go after them. Lund comes to mind. With Obiden in office, you're gonna see more of it.

I know they're not going door to door checking but they do read forums, and that sorta thing (much the same as Kubota employees read up on these forums). I also know what they did to my friend's fleet truck. Got stopped for speeding and they recognized that the tailpipe was not quite right. A peek underneath verified that it was tampered with. Fine. Company had 60 some odd trucks all the same, all got fined for each truck which lead them to look at ALL of the company's vehicles (big trucks little trucks all of them), which led to even more fines (and not all of them related to emissions devices). It was substantial.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
It is most certainly illegal. That being said, if I found myself with a tractor giving me troubles due to a faulty DPF, I would not hesitate to remove it. You see, in my opinion, the law is a sort-of a kind of a guideline. If it interferes with my personal freedoms or rights, I just ignore them.

Reactions: 2 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I tore the tags off my pillows and mattresses. Expecting to do serious time. Any day now.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Illegal
LOTS of 'things' are illegal (like jaywalking', running red lights) but never get charged.....
reminds me of the 'Gold Rush' series 2 years ago. Brand new water pump(huge, diesel powered) kept shutting down, so the miners ripped off all the 'fancy exhuast' system parts,hardwired it, got it 'up and running' all this was shown ON TV ! No mention of EPA going after them, $10K fines or jail terms.....
BTW the reason for the pump turning off, the fancy computeed tried to update it's software(satlink),got cobbled...ooopsy...
I've never understood the pickups with 'tuners' NOT being fines, then again up here ,there isn't ONE HD motorcycle with a muffler on it.....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
This answered a lot of my questions

Reactions: 1 user

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
If Kubota, Ford, fill in the blank screwed me over on their emissions design, I would remove it in a heartbeat.

Reactions: 2 users

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
Thanks for all the replies. Will keep this idea in mind for now.
Had no problem with 2 auto regens, doing a parked regen per the manual was a pain. I think you have to wait until the parked regen lamp and switch start to flash. As far as the manual, I need to become more fluent in Jenglish.

Steve Neul

Equipment
B5200
Jun 3, 2017
Terrell, TX
Well Darn, wish my Kubota could use one, I would get one and put it on just for the environmentalist. I will just have to be satisfied with having a pre-environmental tractor.

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
It’s why I like older tractors without all that baloney. I found my Ford 4600 with only 561 hrs on it when I bought it and I’ll have it the rest of my life.

Reactions: 1 user