OK I put together

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
a fuel tank and pump HF had the pump with all the stuff and I had some coupons sooo I got it the hard part was finding a 15 gal drum. So to day I tried it out, this pump is suppose to pump 10 gal a min. All I know is it took a lot longer to fill the drum and it did to pump it out. Not my video but this is what I did might help somebody else

Reactions: 4 users

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Looks skeets, definitely a back saver. I look forward to hearing what you think about it (pros and cons) after you use it for a while.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well you know the fill on the B is on top and lifting a can and holding it is a PIA,, like I said I put 5 gal in the barrel turned it on a and dayum it was gonzo into the tractor,, so for the first run I am impressed,, but time will tell. How things inthe GWN brother

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well you know the fill on the B is on top and lifting a can and holding it is a PIA,, like I said I put 5 gal in the barrel turned it on a and dayum it was gonzo into the tractor,, so for the first run I am impressed,, but time will tell. How things inthe GWN brother
Yes sir I remember it well, Pita as I remember. Things are going as good as can be expected considering. Just did my plumbing over, new hot water tank, some new pipes and fittings but when I put in a new pressure gauge I noticed it wasn't holding pressure the way it should. Took a shot to the face at close range when a shark bit fitting let go (gave the wife a good laugh as she just happened to be standing there) and at first I thought that would be it. Funny how when you get older there is no such thing as a small job anymore. Anyway I traced it to my pitless adapter, turns out the seal split, easy fix right, nope. When I tried to screw my T handle on turns out the threads were buggered up on the pitiless adapter so back into town to get another fitting, this time brass and I was able to get just enough of a turn on it to dislodge the adapter before it let go but I was able to grab a rope and the wires that were attached to the pump before we said goodbye to the whole works. Anyway managed to change the seal and get the fitting threaded in while the adapter was out and we now have water again with no leaks.

Now back to your pump and that bugger can pump. Even though my L isn't near as bad to fill standing there in the cold sucks waiting for them to empty. If it works out good for you maybe I'll invest if I can get one around her and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. I'll have a look on HF and see if Princess auto here carries them.

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
How are you transporting the 15 gal of fuel from station to home and to where you are storing it? Is the barrel attached to the dolly permanently?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Keep drum out of the sunlight....

I bought a little 2+ GPM 2-D battery pump to get gas into the Moline without making a mess....it was SO easy 30 years ago....

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
Amazon.com: Liquid/Fuel Transfer Siphon Pump - Large Squeezing Syphon for Lawn Mowers & Manual Pumping Petrol, Water, Alcohol and more! (By Luigi's): Automotive

This is what I've used for years now. Mine is blue for K1 from the local hardware. My first one from a china tool store was $2. but lasted a year. My $5. blue one is better quality. Works great and pretty much drains a 5 gallon can empty. I put a towel on the gauge side of the filler so is on a slant. Squeeze it a few times and it siphons. If I was using hundreds of gallons of fuel I'd have a electric pump. But 5 gallons last me a long time. The L3800 really sips the fuel. In the video. The guy overfills the tank and splatters the fuel on the hood. I've never done that. Not once. 1 drop yes. Never splashing everywhere.
The filler reminds me of the camper place that winterizes the camper. A hand truck, bucket of antifreeze, 12v pump, car battery, garden hose, no/off switch. Very simple but works.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I use the Harbor Freight pump with 5 gallon metal fuel cans and am very pleased. This pump will empty a 5 gallon can in 30 seconds.

The problem with any siphon arrangement is that the fuel can still has to be lifted above the tractor tank.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
D2 the transport will still be in 5 gallon cans and dumping fuel at waist level isnt to bad, right now it has a bungie strap till I get the bugs worked out, But I will come up with something a bit more substantial , I will TRY to get a picture tomorrow and re figure out how to get it on here,, puter geek I aint! The other thing that did cross my mind was I have another 15 gallon barrel soooo maybe a rack in the bed of the truck and a syphon feed into the other one.. I ll figure out something

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
D2 the transport will still be in 5 gallon cans and dumping fuel at waist level isnt to bad, right now it has a bungie strap till I get the bugs worked out, But I will come up with something a bit more substantial , I will TRY to get a picture tomorrow and re figure out how to get it on here,, puter geek I aint! The other thing that did cross my mind was I have another 15 gallon barrel soooo maybe a rack in the bed of the truck and a syphon feed into the other one.. I ll figure out something
Curious, is there a reason one could not just pump out of a five gallon container directly?

Getting 15 gallons at a time would be more convenient though...but where I am they seem to want all fuel containers to be on the ground when filled. Maybe if secured in the truck this would not be required for a larger container?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
DSCN0195.JPG
DSCN0196.JPG

I need to mod the bung some how to keep the nasties out

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada

Skeets leave your fuel jugs on the truck after filling and these shakers work great with little effort to siphon fuel. Just siphon from your jugs to your setup with no lifting and by the way no need to show me your jugs. :LOL::LOL::LOL: The 3/4" will be much faster and you can probably get the same thing cheaper and faster at HF, good luck old dog.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Ta I had not thought about the shakers good idea ! Stay safe old son

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Skeets - that looks like a nice tank/pump setup!

Like I said before, the Moline fill is gasoline, on top. It's well over 5 feet up there. Made a huge mess last time with a 5 gallon can..

Hoping I can still use a 5 gallon can, sitting on the loader frame, and pump up to it with one of those battery operated fuel transfer pumps.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I should be safe as long as the women leave me alone,,,, yeah,, well ,,,,, I guess Im in no danger then

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
What was there before you removed it? I would think that you may be able to get something that screws on the bung that is flat. Then a hole in that with a grommet that fits the hole? You might even be able to just rotate the barrel and use one of the flats on the barrel and a grommet or bulkhead fitting?

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
View attachment 59003 View attachment 59004
That bung looks like the same size as the larger one on 55 gallon drums. If so, I'm pretty sure there's a telescoping pickup that will thread right in. Probably available from HF as well, but if not, check Grainger (even though they're pricey). Even if it's rigid, you can cut it to length, and use the little bung for filling it back up. You might want to put a little more vent on it if you do to keep any splash from spraying out around the fill nozzle. I worked with an uncle that was a logger when I was a kid, and my job was to refuel his machines at the end of each day, then take the drums for refill the next morning on my way to the site. The drums all had pickup tubes in them, and I always filled them through the smaller bung. The small bung, IIRC, is 1" NPT so a valve can be screwed into it with readily available pipe fittings. I'm thinking the larger bung is 2" or 2-1/2" NPT. I didn't have enough experience to run the big offroad machines, and he wouldn't let me near a chain saw. I think he'd heard about me wrecking a wheelbarrow at school, so figured me and large equipment in rough terrain were not the optimal mix.

Did you perchance keep a list of parts and where you got them from? I'd really like to build up something like that. I'd probably still buy at 5 gallon increments just to keep fresh fuel mixed in with anything I stored, but put it in something like that for storage and actually fueling the tractor. I don't use enough to hassle with loading that much diesel on and off my truck, and besides that, I have a contractor cap and bed slide on my truck that won't let me stand a standard hand-truck up in it. I'd even consider putting a plug on my LX like that guy did.

If you think lifting a can up on top of a BX is tough, try the LX2610SU with fat feet. It's a long way from that fuel cap to the ground, and it doesn't get much better standing on the floor pan, especially with a can that you have to hold something pressed on it to let the fuel flow. Pretty sure I messed my left rotator cuff up again when I tried to step up on the platform on the right side. Had the can in my right hand, and got a little off balance so grabbed the FEL brace with my left hand as I started backward. It hurt. A lot. This was in December, and I'd just had rotator cuff surgery at the end of October. I've had the right one done twice, and the left once. None of the three was any fun at all.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Diesel Transfer Pump - Save on this 12 Volt Transfer Pump (harborfreight.com)
The old 2 wheel hand cart I had laying around and Lord only knows what the drum had in it (5 bucks). Turns out the small ones are harder to find than the big ones.
The BX is no problem but the "B" is in a rather difficult place in the hood for a crippled up old guy to fill,, you know the old saying,, It aint the age its the mileage ;)