Do I buy a BX1880 or BX2380?

Yan33

Apr 21, 2021
Ottawa, ON
Hey all,

My name’s Yan and I live in Ottawa, ON, Canada. I just finished building a new house on a 2 acre plot of land and I’m looking for a sub compact tractor. I’ve done lots of research on tractors and have narrowed it down to the BX1880 or BX2380.

Our property consists of a treed lot with approximately 3/4-1 acre of grass. I spend a lot of time outside and I know I will get plenty of use out of the bucket on the BX models. Given our Canadian winters, I also plan on buying a rear mounted snowblower to clear our 100 foot long driveway. Most of our snowfalls are fairly reasonable by Canadian standards however it’s not uncommon for us to get 12-15 inches of snow in one day a few times a year.

Im wondering if any of you would have some feedback on which tractor I should
Purchase. I feel like I could get the job done with the 1880.. my only concern is the snow removal and the possibility that it may lack power if I ever want to purchase other attachments for it. That being said, I also know the 2380 has some appealing features (adjustable seat, armrests, cruise control, etc).

Essentially I’m just trying to decide if spending the extra $3500 (Canadian) on the 2380 is worth it! I have a friend who owns an 1880 and is quite happy with it.. but I haven’t met any 2380 owners or someone who has used their tractor for snow removal.

Any feedback you could give me would be appreciated! Thanks all.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Snow blowing rewards HP. The 2380 is the "standard" model, the 1880 the "economy" model. Smaller wheels, less HP, a few features removed. I'd personally go with the 2380 every time, that's really the size and power Kubota designed that machine for. The 26HP version is harder to justify, because it's basically overpowered and the tractor has a hard time using that power.

Either will work. The 2380 will work better.

Reactions: 5 users

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
Im wondering if any of you would have some feedback on which tractor I should
Purchase. I feel like I could get the job done with the 1880.. my only concern is the snow removal and the possibility that it may lack power if I ever want to purchase other attachments for it. That being said, I also know the 2380 has some appealing features (adjustable seat, armrests, cruise control, etc).
My feedback is I think you answered your own question with "my only concern is the snow removal and the possibility that it may lack power if I ever want to purchase other attachments for it". But hey, it's your money so it's your choice.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My neighbor has a new BX2380 on her 2.5 acre lot. What a great tractor. She opted for the 2380 because of the snow removal duties.

If your thinking of a future pto powered roto tiller the 2380 would be one to get. And even better....if you have lots of trees and leaves to take care of......a pto driven leaf blower is the ultimate for leaf clean up.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
Hi--My first post here. I'm in central NB, so perhaps a little more snow at times than Ottawa. I have a Kubota 3cyl TG1860 (diesel) w/ 54" deck for mowing 2 acres and a *BIG* MTD walk-behind 13hp/45" cut for snowblowing.

I have a BX2380 on order (waiting for implements, mower, blower, blade) and was exactly where you are a couple weeks ago. I went for the BX2380 given I have never regretted buying a bigger mower/blower before and don't want to be stuck trying to blow a 3' drift of snow some January morning @ 5am at -25*C....and try to make it into work. I live on a bit of a hill.

Anyways...w/o even knowing what it's like to own a true subcompact, I am glad I didn't buy a lesser (no disrespect to anyone) 1880's given my situation/location. I am sure the 1880's are perfect for some.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
of the two you list, BX2380 hands down. The added HP, loader lift and larger wheels make it worth the extra coin.

You may even want to just check the difference in price in going with the B01 series?

Reactions: 2 users

Yan33

Apr 21, 2021
Ottawa, ON
I feel like I’m starting to see a pattern in these answers... ;) everyone seems to be pushing for the 2380. The Kubota rep I dealt with did say it was their most popular subcompact model. I guess what I need to ask myself is what am I more likely to regret... having a tractor that’s too small for my needs? Or having one that’s got a bit more HP and features that I may not have needed?

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I feel like I’m starting to see a pattern in these answers... ;) everyone seems to be pushing for the 2380. The Kubota rep I dealt with did say it was their most popular subcompact model. I guess what I need to ask myself is what am I more likely to regret... having a tractor that’s too small for my needs? Or having one that’s got a bit more HP and features that I may not have needed?
When you put it that way...the answer is VERY easy. Enjoy.

Kubota Paul

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2018
Lions Head On. Canada
I have a BX1860. It cuts the grass just fine. I also have a front mount snowblower on it. I am in a snow area in Ont. on the Bruce Peninsula A foot of snow is not a problem for it. However I also own a B2650 cab model. It handles the backhoe, chipper and also a front mount blower. If you want to add equipment to your tractor other than mower, snowblower go with the 23 HP. The saying is always get more HP then you think you need. You will use it.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I do have to say, answering the question "should I get a BX1880 or a BX2380" with "you should get a B2601" is not exactly in the spirit of the question.

But it is good advice to take a good look at a B. They aren't much more expensive, they aren't much larger in footprint. But they're taller and quite a bit more capable. You should check that you're not going to want a B in a couple of years - you do have enough land to be in that category.

foobert

Equipment
BX2380
Mar 25, 2021
Washington
Recent BX2380 purchaser checking-in with a similar sitation: a few acres and tiny farm to maintain.

I didn't give too much consideration for the 1880 because I wanted the 60" mower and I was told it needs the extra power of the 2380. Also, it helped that the dealer had two 2380's ready-to-go on the lot that day;)

it's certainly NOT overpowered for its weight. With good ballast, pushing a back-blade in reverse, it required everything it had to break traction in this uniquely difficult situation.

Am I glad I did not try to economize with the 1880 -- very much so. Do I wish I had looked more seriously at a B2601 --- ehhh, not yet.

Impala

Equipment
L3302 prior B2601, prior BX2230
Jan 16, 2021
WI
I would go the 2380. I just sold my 2230 to upgrade to a B because I wanted more size and power. I can't imagine an 1880. Remember the PTO horsepower is much lower than the spec for the engine. The 1880 is only rated at 13.7 which will limit what you can run off of it. Also if you have any hill I can't imagine the 1880 mowing well at any speed.

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
All good comments. I`m in the BX2380 column. That tractor is a work horse.
I`ve always learned that when it comes to tractors, buy more than you think you`ll need, you`ll need it.

The BX1880 is an ok lawn mower, but anything more than that, you`ll tax it to death.

Yan33

Apr 21, 2021
Ottawa, ON
Thanks all! It seems like everyone here is on the same page. I'll be going with the 2380 at this point. For those of you that recommended I look at the B series... I did do some research on them but honestly I think it's a bit too much tractor for my needs. I'll also be storing it in my garage until I have the time/money to build a separate garage/shed at the back of my property. So I think the 2380 will be perfect! Everyone's feedback was greatly appreciated. Cheers

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I have the BX1880 with a 48 in. MMM because of tight mowing areas and I am happy with it. Whatever you decide to buy make sure not to get the R1 tires if you are going to mow. The R1 tires will destroy your lawn. The BX1880 tire choices are only R1's or turf. The BX2380 also has R4's as a choice. The original tires on the BX1880 are smaller than on the on the BX2380. I ended up upgrading my wheels/tires to the BX2380 sizes with "off road tires" that provide a very good compromise of good traction, minimal lawn damage and smoother ride. We have no snow in Florida only swamps. :eek:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks all! It seems like everyone here is on the same page. I'll be going with the 2380 at this point. For those of you that recommended I look at the B series... I did do some research on them but honestly I think it's a bit too much tractor for my needs. I'll also be storing it in my garage until I have the time/money to build a separate garage/shed at the back of my property. So I think the 2380 will be perfect! Everyone's feedback was greatly appreciated. Cheers
I have a B and a BX. No doubt in my mind that the BX is a good fit for your property, and that the BX2380 is the right choice.

Maybe I missed it, but are you buying a loader too? You should, very handy! I have one on my B series so no need on my BX. Would not be without one though...

Now to spend some more of your money! Have you considered a BX23S? A backhoe is a luxury, but you only buy once and it is a REALLY handy thing to have...when/if you need it.

:D

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
When I bought my BX23S , 3 years ago( <500 hrs..) is was FOR the backhoe ! I knew I needed 'something smallish' with a loader AND digging capabilites. The BX23S fit the bill ,perfectly.I've used the BH to dig 400' of weepers,create swayles,mini ponds,remove tree trunks,posts, etc. Neighbours love it too.Since I have a lot of free time(retired 30+ years ago), I do 'odd jobs' and in return get young, strong labour, dinners and platers of cookies. everyone's happy as years worth of work is done in days. Yes, it's more money up front but like a steel roof, pays for itself in the long haul.
I also bought an HLA 900# SSQA pallet fork unit. THAT has been a great addition. Once you learn the limits of lifting loads,it sure is handy !
I agree the B series is 'too big' for the acre, BX18 too small... the BX23S is just right .

Jay

Orangeglow

Equipment
2015 BX2370
Jun 19, 2014
Prescott, Ontario
Hi Yan, I cann,t remember if you were going to buy used, or new, but check Ottawa KIJIJI, they have both the BX1880, and the BX2380 listed for sale. To get an idea of local selling prices do a search in all of Ontario.

Yan33

Apr 21, 2021
Ottawa, ON
I have a B and a BX. No doubt in my mind that the BX is a good fit for your property, and that the BX2380 is the right choice.

Maybe I missed it, but are you buying a loader too? You should, very handy! I have one on my B series so no need on my BX. Would not be without one though...

Now to spend some more of your money! Have you considered a BX23S? A backhoe is a luxury, but you only buy once and it is a REALLY handy thing to have...when/if you need it.

:D
I am buying a loader too! I did look at the BX23S but I don’t think I can justify the extra expense for the backhoe. I would likely get some use out of the backhoe for the first year or two while I do some landscaping but beyond that I think it would just take up space. I’m going to be storing my tractor in our garage until I have some time/money to build a garage/shed in the backyard. I told myself that I can just rent a mini excavator for a weekend if/when I need to do some digging.