B2650 seat safety switch.

swingjt

Equipment
B2650 tractor, snow blower, front loader with bucket & forks, rear box blade
Apr 7, 2021
Ontonagon, MI
How do I check that it is working? Can it be temporarily bypassed?

johnjk

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B3200 w/loader, Woods RC5 brush hog, 4' box blade, tooth bar, B1700 MMM,
Apr 13, 2017
West Mansfield, OH
You can check with an ohm meter to see if basic functionality is working. Nothing on seat, should be open and infinite resistance. Switch closed, and you should read close to 0. Now this doesn’t tell you if you have a voltage drop across the switch. Not sure how many safety switches you have on your machine. Best to download a WSM and look at the circuit. The end of this circuit should connect to the starter solenoid and provide the 12V needed to let the starter engage. You can check that by setting your meter to volts DC and with the positive lead to that wire at the starter and the other lead grounded to the body, you should see 12V when you attempt to start. For testing purposes you can jump across the connector that plugs in to your seat switch which will take that switch out of the circuit. Reconnect switch when done testing.

Reactions: 1 users

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
How do I check that it is working? Can it be temporarily bypassed?
If this is the one you are referring to, here is what I did to "fix" mine ;):

Before:

B2650 switch normal position.JPG

After:

B2650 switch fix.JPG

Reactions: 1 users

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
You can check if it is working by driving the tractor forward and raising up off the seat. The engine should cut off.

If yours is misbehaving and not allowing you to drive forward even if you are sitting in the seat, place a thin piece of styrofoam between the seat switch sensor pad and the rest of the seat. The pad is velcro'd to the FRONT of the seat and does not look like the picture above. Kubota has several styles of seat switch. The styrofoam works well for me, since I am relatively light weight.

Reactions: 1 user

swingjt

Equipment
B2650 tractor, snow blower, front loader with bucket & forks, rear box blade
Apr 7, 2021
Ontonagon, MI
You can check with an ohm meter to see if basic functionality is working. Nothing on seat, should be open and infinite resistance. Switch closed, and you should read close to 0. Now this doesn’t tell you if you have a voltage drop across the switch. Not sure how many safety switches you have on your machine. Best to download a WSM and look at the circuit. The end of this circuit should connect to the starter solenoid and provide the 12V needed to let the starter engage. You can check that by setting your meter to volts DC and with the positive lead to that wire at the starter and the other lead grounded to the body, you should see 12V when you attempt to start. For testing purposes you can jump across the connector that plugs in to your seat switch which will take that switch out of the circuit. Reconnect switch when done testing.
Thank you johnjk. Your advice was very helpful in isolating the problem. I will be replacing the seat switch.