Input on Flail vs. Rotary Mower Width

ubelongoutside

Equipment
L2800
Feb 4, 2021
Ypsilanti, MI
I'm looking at a rotary mower vs. a flail mower and while looking at my tractor specs (L2800) it lists that the max width for a flail is only 50" while for a rotary I can go up to 72". The weight specs are the same though (770 lbs).

Any thoughts why they recommend such a difference in flail width vs. rotary width?

The mowers I'm looking at are the WoodMaxx FM-62, and the Land Pride RCR1860. The weights are 641, and 599 respectively. Even with the PTO shaft (40 lbs) I'm still under the specified weight. I could go with the WoodMaxx FM-54 as it would be in spec, but for the loss of width, and added price I think I'd just go rotary at that point.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Normally, you can go wider on a flail as they generally take less power to run. I would assume that you have approx 24 PTO HP? If that's the case, you won't have any issue with a 62" flail mower.

I have 19 PTO hp and run a 53" flail without issue.

Motion

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5100HST/FEL
Aug 17, 2020
Mandeville Louisiana
Usually the equipment manufacturer gives a HP range needed to drive their equipment. It's strange that Kubota has such a big disparity (22"), especially if they allow a 6' bush hog and you going through high grass, I believe you'll put your tractor in a bind. Pending the amount of area to be cut, frequency, type of terrain would govern the mower type. I'm not saying you should go against specs. but if you don't exceed PTO HP, I personally don't see a problem. Correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you just got your tractor and you're now buying equipment, you may find you'll need multiple mowers to get the final product desired. In my opinion bigger is not always better.

ubelongoutside

Equipment
L2800
Feb 4, 2021
Ypsilanti, MI
PTO HP output is 24 HP. The FM-62 (flail) is listed as 20-45 HP, and the RCR1860 is 20-65 HP. Even stepping down to the next size would only change the HP spec to 18-45 and 20-60 HP respectively.

I was just wondering if there was something I was missing with the large difference between the rotary vs. the flail in cutting width specification as I wasn't expecting such a large difference.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I suppose I'm not sure what you're talking about as far as large disparity? Are you referring to the "20-45 hp"? If so, that would indicate what the mower gearbox is rated for...So in that example, 20 hp min up to 45 HP.

The general "rule of thumb" that you typically hear is 5 pto hp/foot for "mowers".

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
There are a lot of variable is equipment usage. Is only grass being mowed, how thick, how tall....mowing brush? Within reason mowing equipment can be raised to cut less, or don't make a cut of the full width of the mower, or cut more frequently. Always have PTO speed at 540 (if rated) to get a quality cut.

chevyman29

Equipment
New grand l4060 with grapple and rear remote . JD 4520 Power reverser
Feb 20, 2021
Birmingham , AL
I will say my grand l 4060 doesn't like my jd 84 flail mower . It will run it but it will also bog down pretty easy. So far that's been the most disappointing thing about the new tractor. Makes me wish for the 6060 or another JD 4520....

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Flail mowers seem to take more HP per foot of width. If you consider how the flail mower chops the material up you can see how that HP is used. The rotary mower will not chop the material as many times before it is discharged from the mower.

ubelongoutside

Equipment
L2800
Feb 4, 2021
Ypsilanti, MI
Well, I've been looking at flails since last fall and they were in stock everywhere. Fast forward to now and you can hardly find one in stock.

I was going to pick up an older rotary until I could get an in stock alert for the WoodMaxx, but then came across one in stock at Betstco. It's the value leader line, which sounds like a bad idea to me, but I read here and a few other places that people seem pretty happy with them. I'm going to give it a shot and see how it goes. I'll report back either crying about my wasted money or hopefully with a glowing review.

Here's the one I went with https://betstco.com/product/vl-mf125cmad/

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
they don't look much different from the del morino line at messicks...not sure what price range you are comfortable with or what's in stock at messicks.

I have the Betstco EFG135 medium duty unit. I've been pleased so far.

Chad D.

Sep 21, 2019
Eugene
I’ve got a Wood Maxx FM-62 with the “Y” blades that I use behind my B2650. Zero regrets on going 62”. I maintain my fields, as well as knocking down brush and such. I slow down a bit when grass is tall and thick, but it blazes through everything I’ve thrown at it so far.
Since most of my mowing is less than 8-10” of growth, it’s barely working. Haul a$$. I rarely bog the engine down, but I can just go a tad slower when it’s that thick!

you have more power...