BX2000 MMM pin keeps backing out

esmd

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 4, 2021
Centreville, MD
Morning all, and Happy Easter. Newbie here, long time reader, first time poster. I bought a BX2200 last August to use primarily for my lawn and some light bushogging and food plot work at my hunting leases. It suits my needs perfectly, however I do have one small, annoying issue. The pin on the left side of my MMM wants to back out while I cut my lawn, which gouges my lawn until I get stopped and fix it. It happens 2-3 times on average when I cut my 1.25 acre lawn.

The pin pulls back easily with very little resistance, so I'm thinking that replacing the spring is the required fix. How hard is it to swap the spring out? Is there an easy way to rig up something to hold the pin in place until I have a chance to pull the MMM off and replace the spring?

Have any of you had a similar problem? If so, how did you resolve?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Morning all, and Happy Easter. Newbie here, long time reader, first time poster. I bought a BX2200 last August to use primarily for my lawn and some light bushogging and food plot work at my hunting leases. It suits my needs perfectly, however I do have one small, annoying issue. The pin on the left side of my MMM wants to back out while I cut my lawn, which gouges my lawn until I get stopped and fix it. It happens 2-3 times on average when I cut my 1.25 acre lawn.

The pin pulls back easily with very little resistance, so I'm thinking that replacing the spring is the required fix. How hard is it to swap the spring out? Is there an easy way to rig up something to hold the pin in place until I have a chance to pull the MMM off and replace the spring?

I think your approach is reasonable. I never looked at my BX2200 pins to see the spring, but know it is there because there is a pin used to lock that pin in the out position, when removing the mower.

You may find the spring is broken and if so you will have the answer.

Keep in mind if you are brush hogging, that the BX2200 has no protection for the HST cooling fan and being plastic it is easily stripped of its fins...not a good thing, as the replacement fan is cheap, but the effort to change it is substantial.

esmd

Equipment
BX2200
Apr 4, 2021
Centreville, MD
I think your approach is reasonable. I never looked at my BX2200 pins to see the spring, but know it is there because there is a pin used to lock that pin in the out position, when removing the mower.

You may find the spring is broken and if so you will have the answer.

Keep in mind if you are brush hogging, that the BX2200 has no protection for the HST cooling fan and being plastic it is easily stripped of its fins...not a good thing, as the replacement fan is cheap, but the effort to change it is substantial.
Thank you for the tip on the fan, I'll keep an eye on it. I'm mowing established trails through the woods and some tall grass on field edges and along ditches, so hopefully I'll be okay. Good to know if I were to ever want to mow some rough stuff.

Tractor Doctor

Equipment
Agriculture equipment
Apr 4, 2021
Maine

Does the pin with a spring still have a locking pin to secure it in place?

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
I've got a BX22 and had to replace the hst fan. It really wasnt a bad job. The newer BX's are a bear to replace the hst fan on. While replacing the hst fan I rebuilt the both CV shaft joints and replaced the torn cv boots and also replaced the engine fan belt while I had everything apart.

I purchased an UnderArmor skid pan from BXpanded and havent had an hst fan issue since. The skip pan is easy on easy off for when you want remount your mmm. I highly recommend it.

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
Is this the lift spring add on on the rear of the deck? If so I believe they are only there to aid in deck installation. Your mower guide wheels should be adjusted to aid in anti scalping.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Is this the lift spring add on on the rear of the deck? If so I believe they are only there to aid in deck installation. Your mower guide wheels should be adjusted to aid in anti scalping.
I believe he is talking about one of the two pins that hold the deck to the arms that are used to lift and lower the deck. They are spring loaded, with the springs holding them in position in holes in the lift arms...

kubotafreak

Equipment
GRAND l6060, L3560, B6100, gr2100, tg 1860, g1800, g1900, g2160
Sep 20, 2018
Arkansas, US
I believe he is talking about one of the two pins that hold the deck to the arms that are used to lift and lower the deck. They are spring loaded, with the springs holding them in position in holes in the lift arms...
Gotcha.

I bet if you lube them they wouldn't back out as often.

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The spring is the culprit, and to remove the pin, you have to pull the roll pin first, and then install the new spring, and insert a new roll pin. It isn't a difficult job to pull the pin, but you have to back up the rod with a heavy hammer when you reinstall the roll pin after installing the new spring.

Tractor Doctor

Equipment
Agriculture equipment
Apr 4, 2021
Maine

Spring pin broken not holding it in locked position, if there lube both pins with fluid film is a great choice.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You might have be able to use some wire to tie the bent handle of the pin to the mower deck.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Yes that's it. I still haven't tangled with it yet, it'll be a fall project. Thanks all!
Just a follow up.

I have the same tractor.

The cross pin is only used to hold the main pin out when you are removing the mower.

The spring holds the pin on both sides of the linkage when the mower is attached.

If the pin is coming out, either the spring is weak/broken, or possible as mentioned above, something is forcing the pin out, which could be cured by lubrication.

Look forward to hearing the solution from the OP.