B1600 is it Transmition oil or Hydraulic Oil

armstrongrv

Equipment
B1600 rotovator and loader
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
Ok this should be an easy question. I take it that the loader and the 3 point hitch work off the transmission Oil? Next question should it be transmission oil IE SAE90 or Hydraulic oil Kubota UDT ??
Thoughts please.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If you read your Owners’ Manual it will specify the exact oil to be used in the transmission...as well as the hydraulic system.... and most tractors use the same fluid as they share the same reservoir.

armstrongrv

Equipment
B1600 rotovator and loader
Aug 25, 2020
Scotland
If you read your Owners’ Manual it will specify the exact oil to be used in the transmission...as well as the hydraulic system.... and most tractors use the same fluid as they share the same reservoir.
Ok thanks I managed to get an operator manual off kubota books and it is SAE 90 gear oil.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok thanks I managed to get an operator manual off kubota books and it is SAE 90 gear oil.
But you can use UDT. It did not exist when the manual was written. I assume you have a gear drive transmission on your tractor.
If so then you can probably be fine with a universal transmission hydraulic fluid from tractor supply or similar store.

If your tractor is hydraulic drive then use the Kubota UDT

Reactions: 1 user

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Wouldn't the comment be a little softer if you just left off the first three words? Just sounds less condescending!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wouldn't the comment be a little softer if you just left off the first three words? Just sounds less condescending!
I apologize if being forthright is offensive. But the OPs response indicates it is the best approach, as in this example, it turns out that the Owners Manual specifies gear oil while the common advice may be contrary.
I once owned a 9N Ford which two “experts” at the tractor supply store tried to convince me to use “universal” tractor fluid in it’s transmission. (The 9N also uses the trans fluid for hydraulics.).
If I had used the ”universal fluid” the tractor likely would have failed (as subsequently I read several such instances where unknowlegeable owners had fallen for the improper advice. REprints of the original manuals are readily available and the manual specified 80/90 gear oil.... and that is what I used in that 70-year old machine per the manual because I READ THE MANUAL... (The tractor was subsequently sold after I used it an additional 15 years and is working perfectly for it’s “new” owner today.)

These discussion remain online for many years. I believe being adamant about the value of the mfr’s manuals might save another owner from making expensive mistakes. Perhaps I could soften the blow somewhat. YMMV

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user