FEL not level

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Well it took me about 6 months to discover my FEL is not level. The right side touches the garage floor when the left is still about 1"+ above it. I don't know if this is a (big) deal or not. To tell the truth I never checked my previous tractors. It operates just fine and I can't see anything that looks bent. Since its a 2013 and came to me with 264 hours on it I am a little concerned. Should I be?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Check rear tire pressures. Also try measuring from level floor to center of rear axles.

Focus on right-rear, as the tire diagonal is causing the bucket to be higher on left side. That said, it could be left rear is out-of-whack too....if that makes any sense....

Pressures is likely #1 cause of these problems. #2 is some rear tires are not good matches to each other, #3 is some misalignment with loader mounts, and #4 is something got tweaked in the loader itself.

My little BX was a little off a few years ago....I could air up a tire and literally see the loader level out.....doesn't take much over the distances involved....

Usually, a little variation really doesn't mean a whole lot in practice/use.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks! I just checked the fronts pretty much dead on equal at 32psi. I recently loaded the rears and I'm pretty confident they are both at 30psi. I'll check them later - have to take the trash up to the street so I'll have an opportunity to get the stems at 12 O'clock.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I’ve checked everything on my BX brand new! It’s low on right side too. I’ve read about a lot of people with this problem and it’s always on the right side.. 1 or 2 hydraulic cylinders, why mainly the right side?

Have not done any dirt work yet but I do know now.. that on my concrete drive it was a problem having to put more pressure down to get both sides flat to scrape spots of packed snow. Already putting more wear on the right side than left.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
If you are on level ground with the tires correctly inflated and there is still a difference, you may be able to loosen and adjust the FEL mounts to even it out. You won't get 3-4" out of it but you should be able to correct an inch or so.

Reactions: 2 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Check rear tire pressures. Also try measuring from level floor to center of rear axles.
RCW makes a good point. There could be differences in the tire diameters. Suggest you follow BOTH these suggestions...

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
RCW makes a good point. There could be differences in the tire diameters. Suggest you follow BOTH these suggestions...
This is true, my neighbor bought a new B2601 and the Front tires were slightly different. You had to look closely because even the tread was the same design.. for the most part and they did measure slightly different. These were the R14s.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is true, my neighbor bought a new B2601 and the Front tires were slightly different. You had to look closely because even the tread was the same design.. for the most part and they did measure slightly different. These were the R14s.
Front tires will NOT affect loader leveling, heck you can take a front tire off and the loader will still be level.
It's ONLY the rear tires that make a difference in the level abilities of the loader frame.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Front tires will NOT affect loader leveling, heck you can take a front tire off and the loader will still be level.
It's ONLY the rear tires that make a difference in the level abilities of the loader frame.
I'm assuming that this only applies if the loader has the front tires off the ground correct? While it would be unlikely for one front tire of the same size to be ~1" taller than the other, the only way to eliminate the front tires entirely would be to have them off the ground I would think. Not questioning, just trying to understand.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You could put a level with the top dead center of axle of the rear wheel. Measure top of level to concrete below. Do the same on the other side and determine if there is a difference. If you have the same air pressure in each tire you will know the tires have different dimensions.

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
. . .Also try measuring from level floor to center of rear axles.

Focus on right-rear, as the tire diagonal is causing the bucket to be higher on left side. That said, it could be left rear is out-of-whack too....if that makes any sense....

. . .
And it looks like we have a winner. The right rear is about 1/2" higher than the left (or the left is 1/2" lower than the right, if you are left handed). The pressures are good on both (30psi). Not knowing the 1st 6 years of history on this tractor its entirely possible the tires are of different diameters for whatever reason.
Now that I know its not a problem, its not a problem :)
Thanks all!

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I gotcha.. that was meant to note that tires front or back can be odd size even though they appear to be the same.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Do you have SSQH bucket? Remove the bucket and see if the adapter is tweaked...
This is one thing I have not tried but have been thinking about it , just need to get around to doing it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I'm assuming that this only applies if the loader has the front tires off the ground correct? While it would be unlikely for one front tire of the same size to be ~1" taller than the other, the only way to eliminate the front tires entirely would be to have them off the ground I would think. Not questioning, just trying to understand.
No the front tires don't effect the loader being level period.
Don't believe me, go out lift your loader off the ground about a foot, measure right side, measure left side, now drive the tractor up on a 2x4 or even a 4x4 if you wanna see drastic change, again measure the right and left sides bet they are the same.
Now do the same to the rear, bet your loader will be all tilted out of shape.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
And it looks like we have a winner. The right rear is about 1/2" higher than the left (or the left is 1/2" lower than the right, if you are left handed). The pressures are good on both (30psi). Not knowing the 1st 6 years of history on this tractor its entirely possible the tires are of different diameters for whatever reason.
Now that I know its not a problem, its not a problem :)
Thanks all!
Drop pressure in the high side and raise pressure in the low side, sometimes 5lbs will do it.

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Don't believe me, go out lift your loader off the ground about a foot, measure right side, measure left side, now drive the tractor up on a 2x4 or even a 4x4 if you wanna see drastic change, again measure the right and left sides bet they are the same.
Good to know thanks!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
This is absolutely true. Just want to add the reason why.

The front axle has a center pivot, while the rear axle is solid. Raising one of the front tires lifts the front of the tractor a bit, but cannot change the angle of the frame, at least not until the raised side of the front axle reaches the physical stop.

Rear axle, as soon as you lift one wheel the frame angle changes, and so does the angle of the loader.

Reactions: 3 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
This is absolutely true. Just want to add the reason why.

The front axle has a center pivot, while the rear axle is solid. Raising one of the front tires lifts the front of the tractor a bit, but cannot change the angle of the frame, at least not until the raised side of the front axle reaches the physical stop.

Rear axle, as soon as you lift one wheel the frame angle changes, and so does the angle of the loader.
That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation Henro!