Went shopping today for a new B2601HSD

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
First post and new to this site. Im shopping for my first sub/compact Kubota tractor. While pricing the B2601HSD TLB ($26,500) the salesman also quoted a new LX 2610 TLB both with third function, 60" FEL, 16" bucket for hoe, mechanical thumb. I was really shocked to see that the LX2610 ($28,300) was only $1800.00 more than the B2601HSD!! Side by side the LX looks so much more substantial. Is it just the tire size? I know the LX has the nicer seat and the operator compartment is roomier. After having my heart set on the B2601, I'm thinking about spending the extra money and getting the LX now. This tractor will be used for landscaping and small trenching jobs. How about the pricing? Please let me know your thoughts..I'm a little confused on which one to purchase

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
It’s a little larger with a more powerful loader. Same HP but more displacement which equals more torque and more weight. I’d go with the LX. One more difference that you might haven’t considered is the mid mount mower attachment is different.

You might take a look at GP Outdoors on youtube. He went from a B2601 to a LX. He might show some reason why the LX is better for you other than the optional cab.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
The steps up in tractor sizing BX2680 -> B2601 -> LX2610 are not big steps in price. I did a comparison a while ago on capacity etc which is in this thread: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx-vs-b01-vs-b50.36719/

Bottom line is each step is worth about 25-30% on capacities, about 10% on size, but most definitely isn't 30% on price. I guess it costs a certain amount to make each tractor part, and a smaller part isn't a lot cheaper than a larger part. So if the machine has a 3ph, a mid-PTO, an HST, a FEL, then the part count is identical.

How big are your jobs? Bigger isn't always better (although bigger for almost the same money is very attractive). It is possible to be too big - especially if you're trailering it, or need to get into particular size gaps.

An LX can have a 72" deck, a 2601 has 60" max. Wider decks are good and bad. The mower is also ground contact rather than suspended, which is also good and bad. An LX was too big for me - my shed is about 68" wide (mower wouldn't go in), and honestly a B2601 was pushing what I need, an LX would be ridiculous.

Reactions: 1 user

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
The steps up in tractor sizing BX2680 -> B2601 -> LX2610 are not big steps in price. I did a comparison a while ago on capacity etc which is in this thread: https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/bx-vs-b01-vs-b50.36719/

Bottom line is each step is worth about 25-30% on capacities, about 10% on size, but most definitely isn't 30% on price. I guess it costs a certain amount to make each tractor part, and a smaller part isn't a lot cheaper than a larger part. So if the machine has a 3ph, a mid-PTO, an HST, a FEL, then the part count is identical.

How big are your jobs? Bigger isn't always better (although bigger for almost the same money is very attractive). It is possible to be too big - especially if you're trailering it, or need to get into particular size gaps.

An LX can have a 72" deck, a 2601 has 60" max. Wider decks are good and bad. The mower is also ground contact rather than suspended, which is also good and bad. An LX was too big for me - my shed is about 68" wide (mower wouldn't go in), and honestly a B2601 was pushing what I need, an LX would be ridiculous.
Thanks Paul, very valuable information! The jobs that I will be doing are mostly landscaping, retaining walls, general home projects but i also will be doing trenching for an electrical contractor, most digging will be 4'-5' deep, under 200'. I have my JD X748 to handle my three acres of mowing and don't plan on using this tractor for mowing ever. My personal opinion is, why buy a 20 to 30 thousand dollar compact tractor, put a ton of hours on it just mowing, I know a lot people do it, just seems like major overkill. I just want to be sure the BH70 hoe is powerful enough to handle my trenching needs, the BH77 looks a little more stout. I never thought buying a tractor would be as complicated as buying a vehicle..sure is lots to think about. Thanks for you're input, much appreciated!

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Also, just make sure he wasn't quoting the LX2610 SU if you want a mid mount mower as the SU does not have a mid PTO. Adding a 60" mid mount mower to either the B or LX non-SU setup will increase the cost by roughly $3,000.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I just want to be sure the BH70 hoe is powerful enough to handle my trenching needs, the BH77 looks a little more stout.
There's lots of opinions on trenching using a tractor backhoe. Basically a mini-ex is way better because repositioning is so much quicker as is backfilling with a blade, and if you're doing it for money might be a better choice. Having said that, electrical contractors typically are going to want a narrow trench, so any tractor backhoe will probably do the job. The BX backhoe has limited swing, I think the 70 and 77 have similar swing - but worth checking as that's a known limitation.

Are you sure it's B2601 with a backhoe, and not B26? They're quite different machines, the B26 is more expensive (and better in some ways - it's a dedicated TLB made for the rental market and contracting).

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
There's lots of opinions on trenching using a tractor backhoe. Basically a mini-ex is way better because repositioning is so much quicker as is backfilling with a blade, and if you're doing it for money might be a better choice. Having said that, electrical contractors typically are going to want a narrow trench, so any tractor backhoe will probably do the job. The BX backhoe has limited swing, I think the 70 and 77 have similar swing - but worth checking as that's a known limitation.

Are you sure it's B2601 with a backhoe, and not B26? They're quite different machines, the B26 is more expensive (and better in some ways - it's a dedicated TLB made for the rental market and contracting).
For sure it's a B2601, he has both in stock and they were sitting side by side. I would consider a mini ex but I will also be using this machine around my house. The contractor was renting excavators in the past and said though they are definitely faster, it was getting more expensive every year to rent. The limited swing could present a problem in tight spaces for sure! I will check that out before buying.

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
Also, just make sure he wasn't quoting the LX2610 SU if you want a mid mount mower as the SU does not have a mid PTO. Adding a 60" mid mount mower to either the B or LX non-SU setup will increase the cost by roughly $3,000.
Its not the scaled down SU. He mentioned that he would be able to save me roughly a thousand dollars with the SU but i think i would be better served having the Mid PTO in case down the road I want to add a snowblower plus I'm thinking it would also hold its value better having it. I would rather have it and not use it than to need it and not have it. I don't plan on using this tractor for mowing anyhow. Thanks for the input!

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
The BH77 has a full 180 degree swing, BH70 does not. If you're really digging 5 foot deep, go with the larger hoe, as there will be less repositioning due to reach and swing.

I will say that in my opinion, the LX makes for a fine "landscaping tractor" with the 60" bucket. I had a small landscaping business years ago that I did with a BX23 (TLB). I got a lot of jobs that others passed up. When I upgraded, I went with the B2650 (same as LX2610).

Skip the "quicktach" loader feature and just get the regular pioneer couplers but make sure you get SSQA loader.

A B26 (TLB) is a little beast. The are significantly more expensive and you can't easily remove the loader.

Best of luck in your decision.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I think the reason they are so close in price is because the dealer is not marking down the b2601 at all.

The build price on the Kubota website for the B2601 is $27,969. For the LX it's $31,960.

I know last summer I got my B2601 TLB, like you optioned yours, (except I didn't get the mechanical thumb) for just under $24,000 out the door (5.5% tax included in that figure). When I was shopping, the LX was around $3,500-4,000 more.

Clearly you get a lot more tractor for that few thousand, but at some point I realized that you could make the "just a few thousand more" argument until you were in a M9.

If you think the LX2610 is the right fit for the jobs you have buy it. If the B2601 is the right fit for the jobs buy that.

Like I tell everyone who comes on this forum - look to GP Outdoors to get a feel for what these machines can do. Brochures and test drives don't tell all that much. But seeing someone lift a log or do another task you know you will be doing tells the whole story.

Also - I like the swift tach loader with drop down parking stands from the operators seat. However, the 1 lever quick coupler is leak prone. I think it's just a "cheap" part. Alternatively, they could have positioned in a slightly different spot so when it did leak it wouldn't be onto the floor pan. The hydraulic oil will warp the rubber mat.

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
The BH77 has a full 180 degree swing, BH70 does not. If you're really digging 5 foot deep, go with the larger hoe, as there will be less repositioning due to reach and swing.

I will say that in my opinion, the LX makes for a fine "landscaping tractor" with the 60" bucket. I had a small landscaping business years ago that I did with a BX23 (TLB). I got a lot of jobs that others passed up. When I upgraded, I went with the B2650 (same as LX2610).

Skip the "quicktach" loader feature and just get the regular pioneer couplers but make sure you get SSQA loader.

A B26 (TLB) is a little beast. The are significantly more expensive and you can't easily remove the loader.

Best of luck in your decision.
Good info on the hoe, thank you!, Im leaning hard toward the LX for sure.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Good info on the hoe, thank you!, Im leaning hard toward the LX for sure.
The BH77 has quite a bit of power...and I would say is a bit oversized for the B series...maybe that's why its also used on the L01 series as well? It quite easily tosses around the tail end of the "BXX50" which can be a little frustrating at times.

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
I think the reason they are so close in price is because the dealer is not marking down the b2601 at all.

The build price on the Kubota website for the B2601 is $27,969. For the LX it's $31,960.

I know last summer I got my B2601 TLB, like you optioned yours, (except I didn't get the mechanical thumb) for just under $24,000 out the door (5.5% tax included in that figure). When I was shopping, the LX was around $3,500-4,000 more.

Clearly you get a lot more tractor for that few thousand, but at some point I realized that you could make the "just a few thousand more" argument until you were in a M9.

If you think the LX2610 is the right fit for the jobs you have buy it. If the B2601 is the right fit for the jobs buy that.

Like I tell everyone who comes on this forum - look to GP Outdoors to get a feel for what these machines can do. Brochures and test drives don't tell all that much. But seeing someone lift a log or do another task you know you will be doing tells the whole story.

Also - I like the swift tach loader with drop down parking stands from the operators seat. However, the 1 lever quick coupler is leak prone. I think it's just a "cheap" part. Alternatively, they could have positioned in a slightly different spot so when it did leak it wouldn't be onto the floor pan. The hydraulic oil will warp the rubber mat.
Thank you for the reply! You really think the LX is a "lot more" tractor? I really like the B2601 but the dealers Ive been to in this area aren't willing to come down much off MSRP. It sounds like you are very satisfied with your tractor.

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
The BH77 has quite a bit of power...and I would say is a bit oversized for the B series...maybe that's why its also used on the L01 series as well? It quite easily tosses around the tail end of the "BXX50" which can be a little frustrating at times.
Good info, thank you! I certainly want something stable for sure. My only experience with back hoes is my dad had a Case CK and it had plenty of power and was a digging machine.

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
Thank you for the reply! You really think the LX is a "lot more" tractor? I really like the B2601 but the dealers Ive been to in this area aren't willing to come down much off MSRP. It sounds like you are very satisfied with your tractor.
You got one sweet deal on you're B2601! Tax wasnt figured into my numbers.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Jim, if you're expecting Case CK performance out of these little Kubota's, I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Maybe you could demo one? I certainly don't want to mislead you.

I did take pause when you said you needed to be digging trenches 5 feet in depth. If that is your intent, I don't think these small tractors are ideal.

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
I really like my B2601. I watched a lot of videos on GP Outdoor's youtube channel and saw that most of the stuff he was doing was similar to what I would be doing in some fashion. Thus, I realized the B2601 would be the right fit. The B2601 is the perfect physical size for the stuff I need to do. I only have a few gripes: stiff treadle peddle and crappy seat suspension.

The LA535 and BH77 are much more capable than the LA435 and BH70. The LX is also a bigger/heavier which is generally a good thing unless you're mowing the lawn.

I think the key is to identify your budget and identify the tasks you have to do.

Also - good point from DirtyDeeds. BHs on these small tractors (B2601, LX2610) are not like a mini excavator. Far less capable. With that being said, I love my little BH70. I was in the position financially to purchase one and it's fun as hell to use (compared to a shovel). It can take out stumps and other items, but at the same time, it's not something I'd want to rely on commercially or anything. It's a hobbyists hoe. :ROFLMAO:

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
Jim, if you're expecting Case CK performance out of these little Kubota's, I'm afraid you're in for a disappointment. Maybe you could demo one? I certainly don't want to mislead you.

I did take pause when you said you needed to be digging trenches 5 feet in depth. If that is your intent, I don't think these small tractors are ideal.
Lol!!!..No...I'm not expecting anything like the CK capabilities, I would spend more time fixing ruts than digging with that 7 ton beast. I tried a neighbors BX23S last year and it was pretty impressive digging in a sandy loam type soil.

Jim in PA

Equipment
Kubota LX2610 JD X748
Feb 18, 2021
Northwest PA
I finally made my choice! I bought the LX 2610 TLB, I took the advice from the guys on this thread and didn't get the swift tach loader. I'm having the 3rd function added and the mechanical thumb, along with the tires loaded. My dealer has the tractor and loader in stock but I will have to wait two weeks for the hoe to come in. It just amazes me how many people locally who have bought tractors since covid hit! Why?? Must be people are tired of being in the house. The local Kubota and JD dealerships have only a few bigger tractors on their lots. Any other year they have at least 20-30 compact tractors on their lots at any given time. Im hoping I made the right choice and I'm looking forward to getting my first orange machine..thanks guys for you're input and I will post a pic when I get her home..

Reactions: 8 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
The new LX model 2610 is super nice! You definitely won't be disappointed. Congrats!!