Anyone else a Starlink beta tester?

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Are you seeing this page?
Yes, and also received this email from them yesterday.

Starlink Logo

Thank you for your interest in Starlink!
Starlink is designed to deliver high speed broadband internet to locations where access has been unreliable, expensive, or completely unavailable. Private beta testing is expected to begin later this year, followed by public beta testing, starting with higher latitudes.
If you provided us with your address, you will be notified via email if beta testing opportunities become available in your area. In the meantime, we will continue to share with you updates about general service availability and upcoming Starlink launches.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Is this what you're looking for?
6 hops is good and 22ms is great!

I used to be on hughes and round trip ping times were 1000ms. I'm on a wireless point to point with xplornet and its 11 to 12 hops with ping times between 30-1000ms. $100/mo for supposedly 25Mbit download and 1Mbit upload. The have so oversold the network now I'm lucky to see 5Kbit down and 0.1Mbit up on some days. POS when it comes to service and reliability , constant outages.

Canada has worse than 3rd world telecom service at #1 in the first world prices.

I signed up to be a beta tester too. I mind as well start buying lottery tickets while waiting.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes, and also received this email from them yesterday.
Your chances are very good at getting picked as we noticed that people that got email replies got picked quick.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
6 hops is good and 22ms is great!

I used to be on hughes and round trip ping times were 1000ms. I'm on a wireless point to point with xplornet and its 11 to 12 hops with ping times between 30-1000ms. $100/mo for supposedly 25Mbit download and 1Mbit upload. The have so oversold the network now I'm lucky to see 5Kbit down and 0.1Mbit up on some days. POS when it comes to service and reliability , constant outages.

Canada has worse than 3rd world telecom service at #1 in the first world prices.

I signed up to be a beta tester too. I mind as well start buying lottery tickets while waiting.
You're real early in the process, so keep your eye out for emails, as that's how they will contact you.

One downside is that I'm betting that it will be in the ~$750 CAD for equipment and ~ $120 CAD per month, The upside is it's super fast and so far zero stability issues.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You're real early in the process, so keep your eye out for emails, as that's how they will contact you.

One downside is that I'm betting that it will be in the ~$750 CAD for equipment and ~ $120 CAD per month, The upside is it's super fast and so far zero stability issues.
If I were a betting man, I'd have to say you're right. :censored:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Yeah, Hughes is high latency - because the satellite is 25,000 miles above the surface, it's a 100,000 mile round trip for the signal to go there, back to the ground, and then back - that's more than half a second at lightspeed. This happens for each connection - so when you load a website with a lot of images, for example, it can take a while to load. But if you download a single file, it can still go pretty fast, depending on the size of the chunks it sends.

I've found that streaming services can be very different. Netflix plays best with Hughes, Hulu doesn't play at all. Prime is hit or miss.

Starlink is in such a low orbit the lightspeed delay is negligible, so you should see faster loads on complex web pages (which is most anymore) and probably better streaming on most services.
Primes hit and miss anyway. I've talked to people with hughs net, then others with cable and we have DSL with a speed of 100mbps download speed. Average is around 70mbps.

Prime has been horrible. The common complaint with Prime is the video getting out of sink with the audio. They will play fine, then it buffers. After that it's like watching an old Bruce Lee movie with words not matching when the mouth moves.

Haven't had any issues with Netflix, or the roku channel with streaming.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
So are these satellites in geosynchronous orbit or do they follow a prescribed path? And what do it cost???

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
So are these satellites in geosynchronous orbit or do they follow a prescribed path? And what do it cost???
Geosynchronous is about 22,000 miles. That's where Hughes satellites are, also Dish and DirectTV. I think Sirius,too.

Starlink is LEO (Low-Earth Orbit) which is less than 2000 miles. In the starlink case it's about 340 miles. That's part of why it will take so long - they have to deploy several thousand in orbits that link into a "mesh" of transmission relays. From what I've read, the goal for full global coverage is over 40,000. I think there's about 1,000 deployed so far.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Keep an eye on Emails!
I wish you the best of luck getting it!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Keep an eye on Emails!
I wish you the best of luck getting it!
Thanks Wolf! When I first got up (4:am) it was flying, close to 3 mbps, then around 8 down to 0.27 mbps so I gave them a call and the guy said he made a couple changes which brought us up to almost 1 mbps and right now 0.62 mbps. When I told the wife about it she was happy until I told her the price to which she replies it's not gonna happen but if I get an email and today would be nice it'll be a done deal, yep I'll have to ask for forgiveness again.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When you can stream a movie, doodle on the internet on 2 different devices and do a full round of computer and cell phone updates all at the same time, then it will really pop on how impressive it is!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Lol, sure hope that'll be enough to save me.
If not... you can order something really nice for her super fast!
Has she been eying up anything that might save you?
My wifes easy... anything house related!

FYI: We now have heat in the new house, Concrete slab is heating easy and efficiently, But I just found out I can't get insulation till the end of December at the earliest, that's a kick in the shorts!

Update: I might have found a work around for the insulation dilema!

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
If not... you can order something really nice for her super fast!
Has she been eying up anything that might save you?
My wifes easy... anything house related!

FYI: We now have heat in the new house, Concrete slab is heating easy and efficiently, But I just found out I can't get insulation till the end of December at the earliest, that's a kick in the shorts!

Update: I might have found a work around for the insulation dilema!
I'm just joking for the most part, my wife is pretty easy to get along with. I always wondered how much more efficient the in floor heated was. Great news on the insulation...looking forward to pic's when you're finished.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Missed this thread until now. Ive been following starlink development. I have DSL out in the woods, and it is decent considering we are 20 miles from town. We are just 3500feet from one of the DSLAM's so we are able to get 50mbps down / 4mbps up. I would take Starlink over it though I think as it would more than double our download and upload speeds. The kicker with satellite internet however, and where Starlink is a massive game changer, is in latency. Wolfman showed the latency in the traceroute (id like to see a traceroute to Google's DNS if you wouldn't mind posting it. it is at IP number 8.8.8.8) and 23ms on a traceroute is absolutely phenomenal. That is better than many cable options. I would like to see if it sits around that same figure to google's DNS.

I had to go the first 3 years out at my house after I bought it with no internet because DSL wasnt available there yet, and I refused to use hughsnet or exede and I know how bad they suck. They are good for browsing internet and checking email and thats about it. They tend to have massive latencies of over 700ms, often over 1000ms, and the download speed is shotty. Latency is important to me as I actually game online a lot in my free time. Online gaming requires a low latency connection.

The fact that starlink has pulled off satellite and is doing so at pings that rival traditional ground based wired solutions is just mind blowing. They do this by using low orbit satellites and communications in the 12ghz frequency space. There are some issues with the 12ghz space that are being contested at the FCC. To put it short, some companies are opposing starlinks use of the 12GHZ band, so there is some risk that the FCC "could" squash starlink, or severely limit their use of the frequency band. I hope they dont. Starlink could be a MASSIVE game changer for rural property owners. 100mbps+ download speeds with 30ms latencies is just insane. There are many developed cities that cant match that on their wired solutions. The real test however will come when starlink has to provide that same speed and latency to thousands or potentially millions of users. They have plans to take the speed up to 1gbps even. If that were to happen..........It would be the biggest game changer in internet solutions since the internet was founded.

Im in florida so I cant join the beta yet, but Ive been watching it.

EDIT: Also for those concerned about the space clutter, the starlink satellites are much smaller than traditional satellites, and have built it thrusters. Each satellite can be made to de-orbit where they disintegrate in earths atmosphere.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
For those of you that are currently on DSL, you can improve your throughput by adjusting the MTU on your PC from 1500 to 1492. This will eliminate packet loss and therefore effectively increase your throughput noticeably. This is especially true for gamers and those streaming videos. If you are unsure about how to adjust the MTU on your PC google Changing the MTU size on my Windows PC. I offer this information because until some of us get lucky enough to get anything better, we are stuck with what we have. This may help some of you anyway.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
Rather envious of the DSL speeds I'm seeing here. When I had DSL my speeds were dismally slow, wandering into dialup territory at times. On a good day I got 100k. Best I ever recorded was 300k.

And it would go out in storms. Every time. With each one lasting longer. When they took 3 days to get it back running after one storm I was done & got Hughes.

I don't like the latency but I'm much happier than I was with the DSL. May have had all that trouble because I'm at the very end of the line - literally: if the connection had been 50 feet farther, I wouldn't have had ANY service.

Looking forward to starlink, whenever it reaches NC