What shoul my next attachments be?

nick_aysen

Equipment
BX2380, quick attach loader, tiller, land plane, and quick hitch
Oct 12, 2020
Louisiana
Hi guys,
New member here. I have a bx2380 with a fel with quick attach bucket, 3pt quick hitch, titan 4’ grader scraper/land plane, and titan 49 inch 3pt tiller. I’m looking to put my tractor to work for some extra cash. My question is what should I get next as far as attachments/implements go?

I’ll only have a certain amount of money so here’s what I was thinking.
option #1: 5’ box blade and quick attach pallet forks.
option #2: electronic quick attach compatible root grapple.(I don’t have a 3rd function)

whatever I get now I’ll use and work until I save enough money to get the other. But where should I start? Opinions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
You mentioned "for hire", I think the market for brush hogging will be much larger than that of an "electric" grapple, or even a box blade. You have a BX, so the scope of grading that it can do is kind of narrow.

nick_aysen

Equipment
Oct 12, 2020
Louisiana
The land plane would cover what the box blade does... Grapple can clear out areas which someone might hire you for...
Only thing is that my land plane doesn’t have scarifiers. Also I was thinking that if I had to do some work in tight spaces such as near someone’s house the box blade would be a better option. Also the forks can handle some things such as large branches.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
You're in Louisiana. Get a grapple so you can have jobs cleaning up after storm damage! Those jobs will get you more jobs for the grapple, just by referral when they see what you can do so quickly without manual labor.

Reactions: 1 users

nick_aysen

Equipment
Oct 12, 2020
Louisiana
You're in Louisiana. Get a grapple so you can have jobs cleaning up after storm damage! Those jobs will get you more jobs for the grapple, just by referral when they see what you can do so quickly without manual labor.
Hmmmm 🤔

nick_aysen

Equipment
Oct 12, 2020
Louisiana
So let me ask this. Should I get a quick attach grapple or should I get a bolt on grapple for my bucket? Which would be better in your opinion?

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
D2 is on the money. Being down there, that would greatly help in storm cleanup.
My grapple is a QA. If you got a bucket mounted one, that would limit your length of log to pickup. A claw doesn’t do that.
EB8B86C6-EF24-4A00-82F6-11DD81FA3B0F.jpeg

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Proper 3rd function ~$5-600
Grapple of your choosing ~$1500-$2100

artillian makes a great set up for bx, it is modular, and you can cheaply add a bx sized stump bucket to the grapple frame. Land pride also has SCG0554 SSQA that is a little lighter than artillian setup, their 48" is pin on only. Grapple weight is important here. You’ll also need some counter weight on the back.

Last edited:

Grant in Iowa

Equipment
Kubota BX2200, deck, FEL, Box blade, tiller, snow blower, tach-n-go, rip tooth
Oct 12, 2020
Eastern Iowa
I would ask if you have a way to haul the tractor. If not, you are limited in audience. Once you have a trailer and truck, you can start thinking about other tools that make work easier:

1. pallet forks. Best to have a quick hitch solution instead of the forks that connect to the bucket because the bucket weighs 140 or so lbs, limiting its usefulness. While forks don't seem that useful, they make other things easier. For me, I do logs to lumber, so I am forever taking my chain sawing stuff to the woods. So I modified a regular pallet for that purpose so I have everything ready and it is easy to pick up and put in my truck just before hooking up the trailer. I also use them to move firewood and small logs around. My pallet forks are made so they can also connect to the rear 3 pt hitch. This allows picking up around 1300 lbs or so with the rear 3pt.

2. you might find a harrow a good and low cost addition and to complement your land plane. I have both a box blade with ripper teeth and I find them both useful and to have slightly different uses. I have used an old school farm harrow to smooth peoples lawns. I have had black dirt delivered (or found it on site). Use FEL to haul a bucket of dirt. dump it wherever the lawn has low places. Once done, I do a quick smooth with the bucket. Then go over it with the harrow until smooth. Add seed and water.

3. I bought a quick hitch for my BX2200 since it didn't come with a removable bucket. The hitch, made by mytractortools includes a receiver socket. I can therefore install a ripper tooth (again from mytractortools) on the front, or on my self made 3 pt. hitch that also has a built in receiver. The ripper tooth can easily pull up concrete sidewalks to make them easy to break with a hammer. I modified my tooth so it actually has teeth, which can now "saw" through tree roots up to about 2 or 3" thick with patience.

4. Receivers are a great way to interchange different items like hitch balls, pull points, etc. Not sure if this would work for your arrangement, but I sure find it handy.

4. Self made rear hitch that mounts on the 3pt. Ability to lift more than the FEL, pulling point for pulling small stumps, trailer, etc. Add ballast for more effective FEL work.

FWIW,

Grant in Iowa

Last edited:

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
Good points grant. ^ and I agree SSQA (or similar) is key
Also will need insurance if for hire. Last quote I got in NJ was around ~$700 annually.

nick_aysen

Equipment
Oct 12, 2020
Louisiana
I would ask if you have a way to haul the tractor. If not, you are limited in audience. Once you have a trailer and truck, you can start thinking about other tools that make work easier:

1. pallet forks. Best to have a quick hitch solution instead of the forks that connect to the bucket because the bucket weighs 140 or so lbs, limiting its usefulness. While forks don't seem that useful, they make other things easier. For me, I do logs to lumber, so I am forever taking my chain sawing stuff to the woods. So I modified a regular pallet for that purpose so I have everything ready and it is easy to pick up and put in my truck just before hooking up the trailer. I also use them to move firewood and small logs around. My pallet forks are made so they can also connect to the rear 3 pt hitch. This allows picking up around 1300 lbs or so with the rear 3pt.

2. you might find a harrow a good and low cost addition and to complement your land plane. I have both a box blade with ripper teeth and I find them both useful and to have slightly different uses. I have used an old school farm harrow to smooth peoples lawns. I have had black dirt delivered (or found it on site). Use FEL to haul a bucket of dirt. dump it wherever the lawn has low places. Once done, I do a quick smooth with the bucket. Then go over it with the harrow until smooth. Add seed and water.

3. I bought a quick hitch for my BX2200 since it didn't come with a removable bucket. The hitch, made by mytractortools includes a receiver socket. I can therefore install a ripper tooth (again from mytractortools) on the front, or on my self made 3 pt. hitch that also has a built in receiver. The ripper tooth can easily pull up concrete sidewalks to make them easy to break with a hammer. I modified my tooth so it actually has teeth, which can now "saw" through tree roots up to about 2 or 3" thick with patience.

4. Receivers are a great way to interchange different items like hitch balls, pull points, etc. Not sure if this would work for your arrangement, but I sure find it handy.

4. Self made rear hitch that mounts on the 3pt. Ability to lift more than the FEL, pulling point for pulling small stumps, trailer, etc. Add ballast for more effective FEL work.

FWIW,

Grant in Iowa
I have a 2018 tundra with a 5.7 and an 18ft maxxd tandem axle trailer to haul with. My tractor came with a quick attach bucket so quick attach pallet forks are a must for me. I also have a 3pt quick hitch on the rear.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My most frequently used front end attachment is my ssqa pallet forks over the bucket. And the rear implement that spends the most time on the back is the box blade.

So you know my vote.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
A land plane is not a box blade. There is a reason they make both. The land plane is for the guys that can't figure out how to run a box blade. The land plane is super easy and IMO is ideal for maintenance, box blase is good for building/grading as well as maintenance.

You only list two attachments that are options so just get both. In a for-hire situation, I can tell you I have only used my forks one time in over 25 years.

If you want to make money with your BX, get a rake.

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
A land plane is not a box blade. There is a reason they make both. The land plane is for the guys that can't figure out how to run a box blade. The land plane is super easy and IMO is ideal for maintenance, box blase is good for building/grading as well as maintenance.
That isn't really a fair assessment. I have both a land plane and a box blade. Just like I have wrenches and sockets. The land plane makes quick work out of my 1200' gravel drive a couple times a year. It definitely happens quicker with the plane than if I used the box blade. I would think that if someone wanted to make money grading driveways, the plane would be a better pick because it is easier and quicker.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Not a fair assessment? How would you describe them? I own both, I have dragged each for miles. There is a reason they make and sell each. Planes are for maintenance.

I said if he wanted to make money with his "BX" to get a rake (my second most used attachment) . If he wants to make money grading driveways and roads, he should get a bigger tractor. No slight to the OP, sure a BX can grade a driveway, he was talking about making money doing it though.

Most people that hire a guy to come fix their driveway are past the "land plane" stage. At least for the 25 years I have been doing this in my area. The plane (well it is in the name) is great for smoothing a surface or "planing" it. The box blade is for grading. What do you use your box blade for?

Reactions: 1 user