ROPs Carry All Basket

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK... Well, for anyone else looking for similar product ...(damndest thing trying to find online a close copy of this basket)... Here’s the one I found and bought. Should get it today, will post review when I see it.
OK, it arrived. It’s very good construction for less than $100. Nice powder-coat/polyurethane finish and good welds. Very complete mounting hardware for an ATV, but I’ll need at least four, 3/16 x 2 x 5 sq. U-bolts.

Now here’s a consideration for all: All ROPs are not vertical. Mine Recline at a 10-degree angle, and anything stored in the basket will likely vibrate/move to the rear and place maximum stress on the baskets’ mounting. I plan to fabricate some 10-degree wedges to mount it so that it will be more level. I also expect that heavy items will place considerable stress upon the basket, so am considering a strutted attachment. Will post pics when I finish. (Don’t hold your breath... says my wife... for me to finish anything.). :sneaky:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
OK, finally got it done. Since my ROPs recline about 10-degrees I fabricated spacers out of 1 sq tubing and tack-welded onto the lower basket frame, adjusting for level using washers.
Horrible Fright sells a motorcycle “net” to secure a helmet on a bike which I used for a securing-net. (It claims to measure 12” X 15” but it stretches and fits just perfectly this basket measuring 36” wide.)

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

Codyrapoza

Equipment
B8200 4wd hst
Apr 25, 2020
Ogden, utah
Just a thought but if that basket could hinge up, it could provide protection from chain or wire rope breaking And snapping back when towing heavy items, just a thought!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Just a thought but if that basket could hinge up, it could provide protection from chain or wire rope breaking And snapping back when towing heavy items, just a thought!
So could simple expanded metal bolted across the ROPs.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
I can honestly say that I have never been so inspired about a tractor addition before. You guys have opened a whole new world to me! Thank you. Chains, straps, saws, tools, pins, on and on all in one place and easy to access.

This is a great idea. I have never understood how ALL tractor makers build a tank and put a sardine can made of 18 gauge steel on the back and call it a tool box.

I have a L4400 so I think my rops would be the same as UpNorthMI.

Reactions: 1 user

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
I can honestly say that I have never been so inspired about a tractor addition before. You guys have opened a whole new world to me! Thank you. Chains, straps, saws, tools, pins, on and on all in one place and easy to access.

This is a great idea. I have never understood how ALL tractor makers build a tank and put a sardine can made of 18 gauge steel on the back and call it a tool box.

I have a L4400 so I think my rops would be the same as UpNorthMI.
When I looked for a basket I saw that people were using 36” baskets, I measured my 2011 L3200 and found that 36” was just a fraction small, I found a 37.5” basket and this fit centered on both Rops posts, the basket had 2 plastic plugs that fit against the rops without scratching and marking it up. My 2018 L3901 has exactly the same rops width, I’ve had to back order another basket, delivery due at end of June. I did have to remove a very little bit of mesh with a small grinder so the u bolts sat flush correctly, this is a great modification good luck if you are going to do similar. I’m getting my tape out to measure my MX5800 rops next.

Rndrob

Equipment
Small Kuboto
May 4, 2020
Banks
This is such a good idea i started fabbing one myself. Just need to get some expanded metal and paint now. I'LL post when done.

Reactions: 1 users

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
Alright, like Rndrob. I just picked up my expanded steel so I'm going to try and weld up a basket this weekend. Ill follow up with some photos hopefully Monday

dutchii

May 26, 2020
Milan, Michigan
OK, finally got it done. Since my ROPs recline about 10-degrees I fabricated spacers out of 1 sq tubing and tack-welded onto the lower basket frame, adjusting for level using washers.
Horrible Fright sells a motorcycle “net” to secure a helmet on a bike which I used for a securing-net. (It claims to measure 12” X 15” but it stretches and fits just perfectly this basket measuring 36” wide.)
Just received my basket and as you mentioned the U bolts that came with it are too short. Where did you find the longer ones? Thanks, can't wait to install and use it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Just received my basket and as you mentioned the U bolts that came with it are too short. Where did you find the longer ones? Thanks, can't wait to install and use it.
Tractor supply... but your local hardware store should also be able to help. Note that on the lower mounts I simply used long bolts (thru the basket-frame) and fender washers.
My ROPS are at an “angle” so I had to use some spacers to level out the basket. I used fender-washers and some 1” square tubing to do that.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Menards has large u bolts, cheap too. See my earlier posts in this thread.