Am I dreaming or not....

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Am I imagining it or dies it seem like everyone out here in the country that drives on dirt roads needs a muffler now?

Every vehicle that goes by sounds like a vacuum cleaner lately.

There are a few in the roadside ditch along with various parts like hub caps and busted shocks.

Sometimes it amazes me that the vehicles out here can even move.....:D

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Yesterday we were working on my dad's tractor in the barn and it sounded like vehicles were just outside the door. So much so, dad walked out to see if it was just outside the barn, but we were guessing that it was up on the highway which is 200+yards away on the other side of a hill.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I had a little Honda pass me this morning on the freeway.

That thing was screaming like a banshee with that coffee can tailpipe.

Wasn’t going that fast for all the noise it was making.

Kinda silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Around here, it seems like motorcycles are exempt from muffler laws. Not picking on them, but Harleys are the the most common offenders.
I live just a few hundred feet from a stop sign, so it seems SOP to accelerate at full throttle going past my house. Some are deafeningly loud.

Apparently mufflers somehow diminish the manhood of those riding a motorcycle equipped with them.

In the summer, it's rare that you can go outside and not hear a loud HD somewhere in the vicinity.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Around here, it seems like motorcycles are exempt from muffler laws. Not picking on them, but Harleys are the the most common offenders.
I live just a few hundred feet from a stop sign, so it seems SOP to accelerate at full throttle going past my house. Some are deafeningly loud.

Apparently mufflers somehow diminish the manhood of those riding a motorcycle equipped with them.

In the summer, it's rare that you can go outside and not hear a loud HD somewhere in the vicinity.
Word.

I'm a rider, been riding since the 60's. Yes, as a young man I put louder mufflers on ONE motorcycle and was promptly rewarded with a ticket. The rest remained stock.

I've ticked off more than one Harley rider by asking them why a $25,000 motorcycle didn't include mufflers...

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I dont mind the rumble of a V twin so much, as I do the scream of the ricers, and I dont mind the sound of a modified big block, as much as I do, those freekin little buzz bombs, I do how ever hate the sound of those jagoff truckdrivers that think the sound of their JAKE brake is so cool!!!

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Isn't freedom great!

I have a neighbor that gets all but hurt about the smell of the diesel truck and tractor. According to her, we are ruining the planet with trucks and tractors. Don't try to explain to her that keeping her house at 75 in the winter and 68 in the summer in NH isn't exactly "helping" the world either.

I wonder how self righteous everyone would be if the complaint was your tractor?

Thankfully she doesn't make the rules.

Don't mind me, we used to put "Live Free Or Die" on our license plates and meant it.

Instead of hearing the next loud object or overly shiny thing and getting upset, throw the guy or gal a thumbs up and be thankful you are both in a country where you CAN.

<old_man> Get off my lawn! </old_man>

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I live on the edge of town. I've been in my home for about 15 years. The last 2 years here, it is pickup trucks. Some are insanely loud. It used to not be that way. I don't know what changed. Coincidentally, I was talking about that very thing with my neighbor a couple weeks ago.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Oh, I get really pissed when some guy comes down the road in front of the house and his horse takes a crap and he just keeps on going!:D:D:D

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA

While it is probably true that most people put the louder pipes on their bikes because they want to get noticed. There is the added totally unrelated unintentional benefit to them that they get noticed. A lot of people when driving look for other cars on the road, not bikes. I agree that some of these pipes are ridiculously loud, but the stock pipes on my bike sounded like a hoover vacuum cleaner running. I personally had a few close calls due to the fact that I was not seen nor heard. Like with most things, there needs to be balance.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA

The HD mantra is 'Loud pipes save lives'... BS. All loud pipes do is cause communities to enact noise ordinance laws.

With Hardleys especially, the louder the pipes are, the slower they go. HD's because of the engine design, rely on back pressure to keep the fuel-air charge in the cylinders. removing the baffles and and making noise is in fact detrimental to performance.

My Rocket 3 is quiet as a mouse and there isn't a stock Hardley on the road (and even some modded ones) that I cannot suck the paint off as I go by like they are in reverse. Only one I had an issue with was one with a blower on it. Certainly not stock and my R3 is totally stock. The blown one, once we got past 100 per wasn't an issue either.

Don't like the screaming rice bikes or the Honda cars with the 'boom tube' mufflers. I don't like listening to the crap, especially out here in the country and the communities around here are investing in DB meters and giving citations for excessive noise, no issue with me.

You have to 'pay' to play.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
The HD mantra is 'Loud pipes save lives'... BS. ...
That is not a "Harley" mantra. It is a motorcycle mantra and it is in fact factual. It has been proven in many studies. Awareness saves lives.

I am surprised being as old as you are that you still don't know that. Being made "aware" of something will inherently be more safe than being un-aware of something.

Same goes for tractors, guns, pandemics etc.

Just say you don't like other peoples loud stuff.

I don't like people using their phones while driving and that is silent. It actually bothers me a lot more than how loud the car they are in is.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma
While it is probably true that most people put the louder pipes on their bikes because they want to get noticed. There is the added totally unrelated unintentional benefit to them that they get noticed. A lot of people when driving look for other cars on the road, not bikes. I agree that some of these pipes are ridiculously loud, but the stock pipes on my bike sounded like a hoover vacuum cleaner running. I personally had a few close calls due to the fact that I was not seen nor heard. Like with most things, there needs to be balance.

You keep believing that those loud pipes help make it safer for you to ride and your going to keep having more than normal amounts of close calls. Today’s vehicles actually advertise how quite they are on the inside, keeping out the noises that are around them. All the better to enjoy those sound systems.

It does seem that some areas enforce the decibel levels on vehicles more than others. Wish they all did a better job of it. Personally I try to make sure the only thing my neighbors notice when I go by is that I am waving. Usually a friendly wave :)

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I like a good sounding engine (of all types) as much as the next guy, but once or twice a month some POS will drive by (with any type vehicle) that is so incredibly loud that it causes me intense physical pain. I have hyperacusis. If I met someone on the sidewalk who caused me that much physical pain, I would defend myself and drop them. Of course, can't do anything about people driving by, and there is never a cop around when you need one.
But in Bill's world....:rolleyes:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Don't mind me, we used to put "Live Free Or Die" on our license plates and meant it.

<old_man> Get off my lawn! </old_man>
I laugh to imagine the prison convicts who manufacture those plates for New Hampshire. ;)

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I had a little Honda pass me this morning on the freeway.

That thing was screaming like a banshee with that coffee can tailpipe.

Wasn’t going that fast for all the noise it was making.

Kinda silly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
It increases performance ;) ;) Just ask them :rolleyes:

Had a guy with a couple girls pull up next to me in my stock pickup. Guy was driving a wanna be street racing car. Half primer, a decent set of rims, and a tail fin. He started hammering on the throttle being obnoxious as hell.

Light turned green and I floored it. I was up and stopped at the next stop light and he was still halfway there. :D

Pulled up next to me and started being more annoying. Light turned green, and he took off giving them gerbils everything they had. I gave him till he got about halfway through the intersection and put throttle to the floor again, and sailed past him.

Next light, he's next to us acting obnoxious as hell still. My buddy sitting in the passenger seat rolled down the window and said "Dude!!! Give it up, you just got beat by a stock pickup truck!!!!".

Them girls were laughing something fierce when we went by him again :D

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dochsml

Equipment
L4701HST
Jan 21, 2020
Leonard, TX, USA
You keep believing that those loud pipes help make it safer for you to ride and your going to keep having more than normal amounts of close calls. Today’s vehicles actually advertise how quite they are on the inside, keeping out the noises that are around them. All the better to enjoy those sound systems.

It does seem that some areas enforce the decibel levels on vehicles more than others. Wish they all did a better job of it. Personally I try to make sure the only thing my neighbors notice when I go by is that I am waving. Usually a friendly wave :)
Hopefully those inside their soundproof cage with the sound system turned up can still hear emergency vehicles. I have no false sense of security when on two wheels. The largest bike against a smart car = smart car wins.