New B2650 arrived, thanks all (pics)

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
I've been posting question after question for months now. Buying phase is done, my B2650 arrived Friday. Thanks to all who helped over the summer and probably spring too.

Coming from the BX23, the loader and backhoe are much nicer, and as a mower I think I'm going to miss the BX, as I suspected would happen.

Went with the B2650HSD ROPS with B77 backhoe, 60" MMM, FEL with 60" bucket and Land Pride forks.

Here it is on arrival. Driver called me and said he didn't want to bring the trailer up the driveway, which I expected. Walked down and met him by the road. He unloaded right on the road which was a bold choice, given he was on a blind turn. Once I was there, I was able to flag down traffic (of which there was none anyway), but prior to that, a little risky.

Here it is as delivered.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
That looks super NICE!!

Surprised the driver just didn't pull off the road into your driveway a little bit to off load. Looks like an easy back up out onto the main road again, especially with you there to flag down traffic for him! :D Glad it went well. You're soon gonna love your new setup!!

RonBoyBX25D

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, LP Grapple, Bro-Tek spacers, QH, Box Blade, Landscape Rake, RB, and 1560G
Aug 1, 2015
Minneapolis, MN
Very Nice! I have the same setup minus the BH. Had mine for a couple months, still haven’t missed the BH...sure I will at some point in the near future.

Have fun and enjoy the work

twomany

Equipment
B7200
Jul 10, 2017
Vermont
Just like the one at the dealer's lot!

Put it to work, get it dirty

THEN post pictures.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Congrats PA. I know you'll enjoy it.

Putting mine to work today as well.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Very nice machine. I'd like to see a pic of the digital instrument cluster with the engine running.

I'd recommend installing some LED worklights facing forward and backward.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
Congrats on your new machine looks good. I am sure you will enjoy it!
I look forward to comparing notes!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
So clean and shiny!

One thing I did on mine shortly after I started using it was check the tire contact patch. In my case the pressure was what the manual states for R4's but there wasn't much tire touching the concrete, just a bit in the center. I ended up lowering the pressure enough to just get the whole width of the tires touching to the edge. The psi ended up being about what they spec for R3 tires. It rides much nicer and has more traction as well after adjusting the pressure down.

Reactions: 1 users

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Congrats !! Keep an eye on the BH fittings. They tend to loosen a bit after the first several uses and can leak. A quick check with a wrench can save a bit of a mess and some hydro fluid.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Very nice machine. I'd like to see a pic of the digital instrument cluster with the engine running.

I'd recommend installing some LED worklights facing forward and backward.
I'll try to remember to get a pic of the instrument cluster this weekend, keep forgetting.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Congrats !! Keep an eye on the BH fittings. They tend to loosen a bit after the first several uses and can leak. A quick check with a wrench can save a bit of a mess and some hydro fluid.
Good tip, thanks. I'll try to keep an eye on them. So far so good. About 9.5 hours on the machine so far (it arrived with 1). The majority of the time so far is with the backhoe.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Thanks guys. Been working on a drain along an old driveway at my parents' place. There is a french drain along this road that hasn't worked in years, maybe 10-15 years even. Wet couple of years recently and part of it has been a mess at times. My dad was pretty sure he knew where the problem was, but he was incorrect. We started digging it up in places to try and determine where the problem was. At some point decided there was too much dirt/mud mixed in with the stone and the whole thing would just be redone.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Random overall thoughts so far after coming from my BX23:

• When I was debating between the B2601 and B2650, I considered that the B2650 might actually be a bit big for what I do with this machine. I may yet think that when I get to working on trails and tighter spots, but so far I'm pretty happy with the size.
  • Stability: I was very worried about stability when I was debating buying this tractor. I thought I'd want spacers, but supposedly spacers wouldn't work with the MMM. The tractor just struck me as narrow at the dealers. But honestly so far I've been pleasantly surprised by the stability. I haven't had to work on hills much yet, but I've driven it on some side slopes, and with the backhoe and loader on, and it's struck me as a good bit more stable than I expected. The BX, despite being very low to the ground, always struck me as very tippy with the loader and backhoe on. Without FEL and BH, it was rock solid on anything. But yeah, happy with stability so far.
  • Power: I don't have a good feel for it yet as I've been trying to keep the RPMs down during the first 50 hours as the manual suggests.
  • FEL: Power-wise, pretty happy with it. I was pretty impressed tonight just in what it can push, which is really more a testament to the tractor and the whole package. I had a few dirt piles next to a trench I was digging and went to move it all out of the way. I was pretty impressed when I started to push into those piles. Pushed one pile into the next pile into the next pile. Lots of power. I'll get a better feel for what the FEL can really do when I start using the forks more. One oddity I've noticed: when trying to clean up loose material on a somewhat hard or at least solid surface with the BX, I would sometimes level the bucket and float it as I'd move forward into that material. I'm finding if I try to do that with this setup, the front wheels immediately lift up when I move forward. Never used to have that issue with the BX, but I suppose it doesn't matter. Just need to operate a little differently. The float detent also feels a little strange to me. Putting it into float feels relatively normal, but pulling it out feels like a sharp snap rather than a nice easy notch feeling.
  • Backhoe: Highlight of the experience so far. I thought the backhoe on my BX23 was decent, but this one is really nice. I like the wider swing arc. I was somewhat afraid the 16" bucket was almost too big for what I do, but so far I'm really liking that bucket a lot. The backhoe in general has tons of power, almost more than the tractor can handle really. In more virgin ground, I'm having to be careful to not pull the tractor when digging. I worry about breaking a stabilizer when that starts to happen. Speaking of stabilizers, I was kind of surprised that they built them in such a way that when up, it's possible for the backhoe to impact the stabilizers when swung entirely to the side.
  • Mower: Least favorite part of the package so far, but to be fair I haven't used it much yet. I think it was Sunday night I wanted to get the mower off since I'm doing dirt work right now, and I figured I'd try it out real quick while I was doing that. The salesman warned me that swapping between the mower and the backhoe on the larger B was not going to be as easy as I was used to, but I underestimated that. I always figured it couldn't be any worse than removing the MMM on my parents' old John Deere 1050, which I used to have to do regularly when I was a kid. But yeah, I thought this was a pain. I think having the backhoe subrame on the tractor made some of it worse than it would have been otherwise, such as having to shift the lower 3ph mounting pin back and forth to the get the 3ph arms on. There were some pins though that I have a feeling I'm going to have a hell of a time getting back in without tools and maybe help when I go to put it back on, which I may do this weekend as I have some grass that hasn't been mowed in a month or so. When I tried the mower, I also wasn't thrilled with the lines the rear center gauge wheel leaves. I'm not a prude about lawn, but it just bugged me. The grass I need to mow this weekend is a lot longer and will be a better test. Looking forward to seeing how it does there. That will also be my first experience hauling it on my trailer.
  • General impressions of the tractor: When riding on rough and uneven terrain, it feels way more solid than my BX did, and not just because of the bigger wheels. Though my BX was older, and I'm thinking probably abused a little by the previous owner. Seat is comfortable, though I'm still debating if I want to install the original seat hardware or stick with the swivel backhoe seat. At first I thought for sure I was going to switch it out, but I've gotten better at cleanly flipping that seat around now. I know the operator's platform is mounted on rubber, but personally I really wish the platform, step, and fenders felt more solid and didn't move so much. When I get on I've been getting on kind of gingerly because I feel like I'm going to break something. Not a big fan of the new hood setup. I feel like it's actually more cumbersome to get in there than it was on the BX where the hood hinged forward. Also not a big fan of the little plastic transmission dipstick or the rubber stopped for the fill. Just somehow feels cheap to me, and I'm also having a hard time seeing where exactly the oil is on that dipstick.

So there are ups and downs, but as a whole I'm liking it a lot. Pretty much every day after work I hope I can get some seat time in. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
When looking at tractors, my dealer said I would be unhappy with the MMM cutting and suggested putting that money towards a dedicated mower instead.

My riding lawn tractor cannot handle tall or wet grass, especially if mulching!!! He said the MMM would have similar issues, but the full size tractor would be better than my riding mower.

Stepping up to the B2650 HSDC, from the BX, helped eliminate a MMM for me.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
The modern hood design all Kubota tractors now use (except for the BX) is awkward. My old B2920 had just the topmost portion rise, just like your car or truck hood. It was held with a prop rod. A few thumbscrews would release the grille and side panels, allowing pretty unimpeded access to the whole thing. But Kubota, possible to compete with another manufacturer, chose to move to the hood raising half of the side panels with it, and be supported by a hydraulic strut. You still have to remove the lower side panels for full access, and unfortunately, with the upper side panels connected to the hood, you have less access through the side than you did with the old system. Oh well.

I actually like the trans / hydraulic oil dipstick. I had it on my B2920 in the same location. Never kicked it or knocked it out. Both my L2501 and MX have a "sight-glass" which works OK but I prefer the dipstick myself.

SMKK

Equipment
B2650
Aug 22, 2019
Lachine, QC
That's right! How are you liking yours so far?
Been getting it dirty! Loving it so far. I moved about 50 cu yards of old manure out my coverall. Moved and levelled out 20 cu yards of gravel to resurface in the coverall. I dug up an old water pipe that was leaking and have just yanked down an old light pole. The wife is adding to the list faster then I knock them off :rolleyes:
I am at 36 hours already - so by the time my snow blower arrives the dealer will be able to do the 50 hour maintenance. It was included as part of the sale

How has yours been going?