L4240HSTC Seat Mod

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
After spending a little over 60 hours on this tractor the only thing I wanted to change besides the work lights so far was the angle of the seat bottom. Kubota seems to prefer a forward tilt for the seats. Two previous Kubotae needed addressed almost immediately. This one was less irritating, possibly because it's cloth and not vinyl like the other two.

I found myself frequently needing to move back on the seat, especially when travelling downhill on rougher ground. The solution was simple. I replaced the front two bolts on the track rails with longer ones and used extra nuts and lock washers so it could be adjusted.

I think the replacement bolts are 8x1.25 and 50mm long. I took the factory bolt along to the hardware store and matched the threads because of the one factory-welded nut on the rails. It was easier to remove the whole works and do it outside of the cab.

Attachments

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Chim - that's a great simple fix... Best kind.

Bet it will last as long as the tractor, and afford some adjusting during that time.

Nice job!

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Thanks. It was so simple that I was a little hesitant to post it. A couple wrenches, less than an hour and a trip to take the sample bolt to the local True Value got rid of a minor annoyance.

I used Z-shaped heavy sheet metal risers on the B7500 years ago that were taller in the front. Much more complicated, had no adjustment and didn't do any better. On the L3200 I used washers with factory bolts and it didn't quite raise it enough.

Assuming my experience with these three different tractors represents a common Kubota trait it's surprising there aren't more comments on the forward-leaning seats. Maybe everyone else only drives uphill:)

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Chim, I have the same model tractor ,but no cab. I have never felt like the seat leaned forward. Here's a picture of the mount on mine, taken as I replaced the seat a couple of months ago. I wonder if the cab unit is mounted slightly different. You can see in the picture my mounting plate is pretty level.

I replaced the factory seat with an after market seat and both set level. Just curious.

Attachments