Calling all B2601 owners!

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi guys,

I'm running into an issue with some wheel spacers and their fit. I've received two sets of spacers from Bro-Tek that don't fit. It has both myself and the guys at Bro-Tek stumped.

We are wondering if maybe Kubota changed wheel's for the 2601 near the end of last year. I have R4 tires. The inside diameter of my wheel hub opening is about 4-3/8" whereas others have been 4-5/8". When it comes to machined metal, that's a bit more than a file will take off!

So, I'm trying to get an idea of what other B2601 owners are finding on their tractors. The question is, what is the wheel hub opening inside diameter on your 2601? And, when did you buy your tractor? Mine was bought new in December 2017 with a manufacture date of Nov 2017.

If you don't mind taking a measurement, please let me know what you find!

Thanks to you all in advance,
-Michael

Attachments

JustinB60

Equipment
LX2610 w/LA535, QH15, PL1242
Mar 31, 2018
USA
I have a B2601 and I will try to get to taking measurements for you in a couple days, can’t get out to tractor until maybe Thursday.

Does Kubota sell their own wheel spacers for B2601? Also does it say anything about adding spacers in the manual?

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
Hi guys,

I'm running into an issue with some wheel spacers and their fit. I've received two sets of spacers from Bro-Tek that don't fit. It has both myself and the guys at Bro-Tek stumped.

We are wondering if maybe Kubota changed wheel's for the 2601 near the end of last year. I have R4 tires. The inside diameter of my wheel hub opening is about 4-3/8" whereas others have been 4-5/8". When it comes to machined metal, that's a bit more than a file will take off!

So, I'm trying to get an idea of what other B2601 owners are finding on their tractors. The question is, what is the wheel hub opening inside diameter on your 2601? And, when did you buy your tractor? Mine was bought new in December 2017 with a manufacture date of Nov 2017.

If you don't mind taking a measurement, please let me know what you find!

Thanks to you all in advance,
-Michael
Bought my b2601 in march 2017, id of wheel hubs measures 4 5/8"

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
I've got an update...

Spoke with dealership and it looks like they put the wrong wheels on the tractor when they assembled it. He said they stockpile wheels and the tech must have pulled the wrong set when they were putting it together.

After talking with him, the 4-3/8" is obviously wrong. The stock axle hub should protrude through the pilot hole in the wheel to where they are nearly flush. As you can see from the picture I posted, on mine, the axle hub is recessed nearly 1/4". That's an indication the wheel isn't seated fully on the hub. It's pulled tight by the lugs, but still not all the way on.

Ugh. Anyway, if any of you have anything other than a 4-5/8" pilot hole opening on your B2601, you might want to call your dealership. In my case, the rear wheels they gave me are really the front wheels from a much larger tractor! Lug pattern matches, but that's about it.

They are going to send out a service truck with new wheels/tires and change them out for me.

Steve67

Equipment
B2601-fel, 60"mmm, 5' rear blade, balast box
Jan 20, 2017
St. Louis, mo.
So glad you got it figured out. If you didn’t have problems with the spacers I wonder what the long term affect of running with the wrong wheels could have been ?

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
I've got an update...

Spoke with dealership and it looks like they put the wrong wheels on the tractor when they assembled it. He said they stockpile wheels and the tech must have pulled the wrong set when they were putting it together.

After talking with him, the 4-3/8" is obviously wrong. The stock axle hub should protrude through the pilot hole in the wheel to where they are nearly flush. As you can see from the picture I posted, on mine, the axle hub is recessed nearly 1/4". That's an indication the wheel isn't seated fully on the hub. It's pulled tight by the lugs, but still not all the way on.

Ugh. Anyway, if any of you have anything other than a 4-5/8" pilot hole opening on your B2601, you might want to call your dealership. In my case, the rear wheels they gave me are really the front wheels from a much larger tractor! Lug pattern matches, but that's about it.

They are going to send out a service truck with new wheels/tires and change them out for me.
After reading your update I went and remeasured and it is 4 5/8" right as it should be. Good luck with getting things straight.

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Hi guys,

On your 2601, what's the part number on the rear wheels? There should be a silver'ish sticker on the wheel with a number that starts with either BRxxxx or ABRxxxx.

Also, if you have the Brotek spacers, let me know that as well so I can see which spacer and which wheel you might have.

We think I have the correct wheel now (ABR8764), but the brotek spacer lug bolts just don't quite line up. It could be as simple as the tolerances are just too tight as they aren't off by more than a fraction.

psdstu

Equipment
M7060HDC, L4060 HTSC, B2601, RTV1140
Dec 20, 2015
Marianna
Hi guys,

On your 2601, what's the part number on the rear wheels? There should be a silver'ish sticker on the wheel with a number that starts with either BRxxxx or ABRxxxx.

Also, if you have the Brotek spacers, let me know that as well so I can see which spacer and which wheel you might have.

We think I have the correct wheel now (ABR8764), but the brotek spacer lug bolts just don't quite line up. It could be as simple as the tolerances are just too tight as they aren't off by more than a fraction.
Mine has the ABR wheels. Hope they can get things straight for you. Keep us posted how this wheel spacer situation works out for you.

msmcknight

Equipment
B2601
Oct 30, 2017
Statesville, NC, USA
Finally, the spacers are on!

Once I got the correct wheels from Kubota, I was still having trouble getting the spacers to fit. They simply would not insert through the wheel.

It looks like what was happening was some tolerance stacking... ie. the variations in the wheel spacers and the variations in the wheel were just enough that they would not mate. The wheel fit the stock hub ok, but it was tight. I was able to use a round file to widdle away at the lug holes on the wheels to get the spacers to finally fit. It wasn't much at all... a tad more than the paint overspray depth.

The lugs on the Brotek spacers aren't perfectly spaced. As with any machined part, there are variances and in this case, the variance was just enough to cause me grief.

This little project was way more difficult than it needed to be. Even though some of the issues were with the wheel spacers, I have to say that the guys at Brotek were absolutely wonderful to work with. They shipped me different spacers to try, offered to remachine the parts, etc. They returned every email and phone call promptly. As far as vendor support goes, they are top-notch!

I'll even give my dealership kudos as well (Riddle Tractor). Even though they messed up on the initial assembly, they didn't bat an eye at sending someone to my house with a brand new set of (correct) wheels and tires.

Now, for Kubota... The precision of their machining, especially on these wheels has a lot to be desired. What we found was that the pilot hole that the hub meets with, as well as the lug nut holes were ugly. It was as if the punch they used to make them didn't have a sharp enough edge on it. The holes were tapered in weird ways, and a few weren't even perfectly round. Luckily, those imperfections were easy enough to remove with a file. One wheel had to be removed with a hydrolic jack placed between the wheel and the chassis because the pilot hole was so out-of-spec that it had bound to the hub itself when they torqued-down the new wheels. I still love my Kubota, but I sure do hope the machining on the rest of the tractor isn't this ugly.

KTob

Equipment
B2601
Nov 10, 2019
Belmont
I am and sure glad you sent out that information. I purchased a (8/30/2018) B2601 and the rear wheel hub ID appears to be 4" 5/8 inches. Also, I have two Bro-Tech spacers ordered and due to arrive soon.

I have had my share of issues with this tractor right off the start. (The mid mount mower fell apart on my first try! The height adjustment assemble fell apart and mower fell to the ground. What Fun..) Too many (issues) trips back to the dealer for a new machine. I must give my local dealer credit and they did make up the difference by mechanics promptly working on the problem(s).

I have also been told there might be a tire clearance issue with the Mid Mount Mower if the wheels are extended but I am more concerned about better stability on the hills I am traversing and having a set of chains on for the winter.

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
I'll throw in a plug for Bro-Tek as well. Very nice quality spacers; bought a +2" set for my 2013 B2920 and a +3" set for my L2501. No fitment issues with either.

Planning to buy a set for my L4060HSTC in the spring. Love the added stability and (in my opinion) improved looks.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Planning to buy a set for my L4060HSTC in the spring. Love the added stability and (in my opinion) improved looks.
If you have Industrial (R4) tires in the rear the rim/center disk can be repositioned to gain greater width. This is also true for R1's. But on turfs (R3), the wheels are not adjustable and spacers are needed. (Part drawings support these comments)