Found out some more info on the L2501 engine

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
Apparently this engine has been around since the mid-90's in Kubota tractors such as the L3300 and others. Same cubic inch, bore, stroke, everything. Thought that was interesting and figured id pass it on to others who owned this model tractor or were curious about it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Robert3301,
Where did you get your information? :confused:
From what I have read, it does not have the same bore and stroke, close but not the same. ;)

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
Robert3301,
Where did you get your information? :confused:
From what I have read, it does not have the same bore and stroke, close but not the same. ;)
I actually was told that by a mechanic at my Kubota dealership where I bought my tractor. I was there picking up a new decal because apparently one on my loser arm had a scratch in it so they took it off and had to order a new one. I wouldn't have cared about the scratch but apparently they did so they ordered a new decal. I was waiting around and bumped into a mechanic and said "hey, is the L2501 a new engine or what?" and he said "nope been around for awhile actually ever since the mid 90's". That's when he told me about the L3300 and others it was used in and some min excavators it's used in now. He didn't go into detail about how they got it to be teir 4 compliant though, just said it was an old engine that shouldn't give me a days trouble.

JD88

Equipment
L 2501
Dec 26, 2015
Ignacio Colorado
Yes I was told the same thing by a friend of mine that works at a dealer. And they can also deliver more hp than 25 pretty easy

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
So you're all getting your information from dealership mechanics, that would be super accurate! :rolleyes:

I find it odd that Kubota themselves have not released what the complete model number of the engine is, I think it has to do with the rating of tier 4 emissions.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX
So you're all getting your information from dealership mechanics, that would be super accurate! :rolleyes:

I find it odd that Kubota themselves have not released what the complete model number of the engine is, I think it has to do with the rating of tier 4 emissions.
agreed. been around car mechanics all my life and most of them don't know half the crap they spew.

Robert3301

Equipment
L3301 HST
Dec 1, 2015
South Carolina
Why would a dealership mechanic be an unreliable source? They work on these tractors every day and are trained by Kubota. He could be telling a tall tale but I think he'd know more than a random salesman would.

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Parts could be interchangeable.. But I'd imagine it was easier to start with a fresh design for Tier 4 compliance, rather than force a 20 yr old design to please the government. Im sure some are factory trained, but mostly around here they're just diesel mechanics who go from dealer to dealer for money. Just like us HVAC guys. Yeah, Trane trained me to rebuild a centrifical chiller but I can gut a Carrier 19XR or a York YK...

I wonder if its a "detuned" version to meet the Tier 4 requirements? 2200 rpm is low even for a Bota' diesel.

Maybe they learned from Powerstroke 6.0 failures, %99 traced back to emissions non-sense. Take a bigger oil burner, detune it and govern it at 2200 rpm, slap Tier 4 compliance and it retains reliable status???

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Why would a dealership mechanic be an unreliable source? They work on these tractors every day and are trained by Kubota. He could be telling a tall tale but I think he'd know more than a random salesman would.
The dealership that I usually go to:
The shop manager - he can probably schedule an appointment for you if you repeat the information.
They have 5 mechanics - only 1 knows his @ss from his elbow! It is amazing that he can ever get anything done because the 4 Troll's are constantly interrupting him.

That is why I do most of my own work!

phil1

Equipment
L2501HST Ford 8N
Jan 17, 2016
Churubusco Ind
I researched all the local tractor dealerships before deciding on the L2501. It is the same engine/ D1703 / family as the L3300 and L35 per specs atfile:///C:/Users/phil/Downloads/Kubota%20engine%20specs.pdf
I believe the older tractors were rated at 32.5 horse 2700 rpm's.
I work at at Vomac dealership and wanted to stay away from emission problems which are more than just the DPF filters. You have to deal with the extra sensors, ACM, extra harness and EGR cooler. Real pain.
The only thing I wondered about is why Kubota is still using the old Green
Ethylene glycol antifreeze. I believe the D1703 series is a parent bore engine so I will go to an extended life coolant at !rst change.
Have 11 hours on it moving round bales bales thru mud and then plowing snow this week with no problem at all. The only upgrade that I did was add a LED light bar to the ROPS. Love my L2501

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Engine Model # for the L2501F and L2501D models is D1703-M-DI-E4-LB2

Engine Model # for the L2501H model is D1703-M-DI-E4-LB1

Yes different engines models in different model tractors.

For those that keep saying it' the same motor as the L3300 (D1703A) and the L35 (D1703TLB), well that's not exactly true, it would be like saying that the 1999 5.7 Liter Chevrolet engine is the same as the 1970 Chevy 350, Yes they are both the same size Cubic inch or Liter wise, they are both small blocks but they are not the same motor.

#1 Major differences would be the L3300 and the L35 would be they were Indirect injection models and the L2501 is a Direct injection model, this changes the motor design quite drastically.
In order to make that change from IDI to DI and to meet E$ standards, they had to change the crank, cam, rods, pistons, head, valves, injectors and a ton of other parts.
Those part changes, change the bore , stroke, and displacement (it's actually slightly smaller than the older engine).
Those changes make the Engine produce less power and peak at less RPM's but it's a cleaner running engine than the original design.

I'm not saying it wasn't a smart move, because it was, as it doesn't need all the other Emissions parts to make it a clean running engine.

Phil1,
In order for us to see files you need to upload them here and not just link to a file on your computer, doesn't work.

phil1

Equipment
L2501HST Ford 8N
Jan 17, 2016
Churubusco Ind
That's some good points. In my case, I would rather have gamble on a modified version of a earlier proven engine, than be a guinea pig for a new design. The selling point for me was under the hood. The L3301 had way too much plumbing for my taste. Looked like a mini Maxxforce engine. May never have a problem with the larger engines, but don't want to keep 1 eye on the MIL light while I'm working.

JD88

Equipment
L 2501
Dec 26, 2015
Ignacio Colorado
Phil how does the 2501 handle you round bales. What are they weighing and do you lift them with the loader or 3 point I will be buying some in the spring and not sure if Im pushing the limits

phil1

Equipment
L2501HST Ford 8N
Jan 17, 2016
Churubusco Ind
I used a ssqa bale spear on the front to move them. They are 4/5 round bales guessing around 800 lbs. The hydraulics had no problem lifting them. Felt a little light in the back when bouncing over ruts. A heavy implement on the back would probably help. If your doing the big round bales, it would have a problem.
I did take some bales thru the horse pasture which was soupy mud. Went thru it like a champ even with the R4 tires. Spent an hour power washing the mud off though.
If I was you, I would see if your Kubota dealer will let you test/borrow/ one for a weekend to see if it works for you.
On a side note, I put the bucket under the rear bumper of the kid's f150 to test the strength. It picked up the truck tires about 6 inches off the ground before it started lifting the rear tires on the back of the tractor. No implements were on the back of the tractor.
Whatever you get, stay away from the Deeres and Masseys. Really disappointed in their current tractors. Good luck.

JD88

Equipment
L 2501
Dec 26, 2015
Ignacio Colorado
Great thanks Phil so far I love my 2501 and the bales I will be getting they will be the 8 to900 pounds and I will look into the spears