Tractor for mostly mowing?

David26

May 3, 2015
Va
Would the B series with a 60" belly mower be good for mowing 4 acres of yard? I have trees to go around and such and the ground is uneven and rough but nothing to major no big hills or anything. I normally have to sweep the grass after i mow even if i mow every week it still plies up. I just wonder if i got mulching blades if that would solve it. I just want a lot of HP to tear though the grass. :)

I also will buy a front mounted snow blower for a 600 yard gravel drive way to keep clear in the winter but it will mostly be used to just mow the grass and a few odds and end around the house once in a blue moon. I was looking at the BX but they are so small and i figure the B would do better in snow and have more HP.

Everyone says buy a zero turn but they only do one thing now if i had lots of money i would just buy both.

Thanks!

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
The mowers on the B series cut well. But there are no mulching blades available from Kubota for these decks. And you will get a lot of clippings from the mower. I have owned both a b2620 and B3200 with mmm's. They cut well, and my "yard" looks good after mowing with these mowers. But if you let the grass go for a while, you will get a lot of stuff to clean up.
If you want to get away from the sweeping and clippings, then I would like to suggest a rear discharge finish mower. The clippings are well dispersed and no windrowing or clumps of grass. :p

David26

May 3, 2015
Va
The mowers on the B series cut well. But there are no mulching blades available from Kubota for these decks. And you will get a lot of clippings from the mower. I have owned both a b2620 and B3200 with mmm's. They cut well, and my "yard" looks good after mowing with these mowers. But if you let the grass go for a while, you will get a lot of stuff to clean up.
If you want to get away from the sweeping and clippings, then I would like to suggest a rear discharge finish mower. The clippings are well dispersed and no windrowing or clumps of grass. :p

Can you mow around a house and trees with them? I've only seen one used once and they did not mow around trees with it.

beckmurph

Equipment
Kubota LX2610TLB/Woods finish mower/woods rotary cutter/
Aug 23, 2012
catlettsburg, ky
You can offset the RFM to one side and get
Fairly close. I use a push mower to
Trim around house and trees.
The MMM is better for close trimming

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Can you mow around a house and trees with them? I've only seen one used once and they did not mow around trees with it.
Here's a shot of the front yard at our place. There are some trees out of the picture. It's 3-1/2 acres of grass now and I use a 6' rear discharge Landpride RFM behind an L3200 and love it. There's no problem getting close enough to things. After using rear mounted mowers for 23 years I don't even need to look at the deck very often. One exception is if I'm in a lazy mood and cut right up to the two little solar driveway lights rather than pluck them out for mowing. Gotta look at them.

There are a couple small spots at the house where the sidewalk meets the mulched area at a 90* angle that needs weed-whacked each time, but other than that the trimmer only gets used about every fourth mowing. Most of that effort is at the edges of the creek. The banks are too steep to risk rolling the Kubota into it.

Attachments

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dave while the B is a good machine I have a BX 2360 and do a little over 5 1/2 acres through the orchard, hills, and woods it is a lot more agile than the B and the running gear, from what I understand is the same on both tractors . The B gives you a little more ground clearance and both are CAT 1 tractors and maybe a bit heaver. For my money the BX might just suit you a tad better thought this is of course only MHO

David26

May 3, 2015
Va
Dave while the B is a good machine I have a BX 2360 and do a little over 5 1/2 acres through the orchard, hills, and woods it is a lot more agile than the B and the running gear, from what I understand is the same on both tractors . The B gives you a little more ground clearance and both are CAT 1 tractors and maybe a bit heaver. For my money the BX might just suit you a tad better thought this is of course only MHO
Yeah the BX would make a great mower and take up less space in the garage but can it handle snow? I hear so much about the BX that is what i was looking at first.

BTW does kubota have drive over belly mowers now? I read something about it on there site for the B series.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Dave do a little you tube search on how the BXs move snow,,, yes my friend they do move snow,, the year I got mine we have a bad winder snow was drifted about waist deep on the drive way and Im 6'2" the old gal never even grunted with the push blade it worked super I would have loved to had a snow blower,, but you know how those things go ,, While most BXs will spend their lived cutting grass do not be fooled, they are beasts!!! I cant answer your question about the drive over deck, I thought that was a JD thing

Martywoodburner

Equipment
BX 2670-1, 60 MMM, FEL, Back Blade, Front mount Snowblower
Apr 17, 2015
Kirtland Hills, OH
David...for what it's worth, I traded in an atv and a zero turn for my bx 2670.
I went with the 26 vs the 23 hp because of the snow. Not that I really will need it but I thought better to have the extra power than wish for more.
The bx mows really well and is extremely maneuverable. With the HST and 60" MMM it took me the same amount of time to mow as it did with my 52" zero turn.
Hope this helps.

David26

May 3, 2015
Va
David...for what it's worth, I traded in an atv and a zero turn for my bx 2670.
I went with the 26 vs the 23 hp because of the snow. Not that I really will need it but I thought better to have the extra power than wish for more.
The bx mows really well and is extremely maneuverable. With the HST and 60" MMM it took me the same amount of time to mow as it did with my 52" zero turn.
Hope this helps.
Do the Industrial Tires R4 or Bar tires tear up grass? I'm sure they are better in snow over the turf tires.

I would go with the 26 HP one as well.

Thanks for the help.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes the will mess the grass up if your not careful but then so will the other ones, if its wet and mucky

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
I've had a "B" because i needed a FEL and it's MMM worked well enough.
If i had that much grass to cut as you do, I'd be seriously considering the F series mowers. One of the many benefits of the F is, that you can tilt the deck up for maintenance instead dealing with removal and installation of a MMM.

b12

Dec 8, 2009
Maine
I agree with 78vette
If you're looking for a platform for mostly mowing the F series would be a better option than either the B or BX.
You can get a snow blower or blade, they come in 2wd or 4wd and cabs are available too.

Martywoodburner

Equipment
BX 2670-1, 60 MMM, FEL, Back Blade, Front mount Snowblower
Apr 17, 2015
Kirtland Hills, OH
Do the Industrial Tires R4 or Bar tires tear up grass? I'm sure they are better in snow over the turf tires.

Thanks for the help.
I've got the turf tires....the dealer said they are obviously better for the lawn and also better traction for use with the snowblower.

Ben S

Equipment
B2620 FEL MMM mcconell swingtrim
Jan 17, 2015
Holland
not tru, i have a mulching kit in my 60 MMM on my B2620, it mulches great.

see

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18834

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
OP: I've reread your posts and am thinking that a 4x4 F with blower would be the way to go for sure. No issue with traction in snow either, if you get a blower. I drove one and just loved it, but couldnt justify getting this big mower, and settled with the GR2120.
Do yourself a favor and at least look/drive/try the F, before you buy anything.
http://kubota.com/product/FSeries.aspx

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

Thanks for the help.
the ind will not tear up grass IF you are NOT in 4wd, IF you are not on wet soil.

If you are in wet soil - it will!
IF you are in 4wd and cut the front end hard to it will tear up the grass!

I like mine - they grip better in snow and mud than my turfs on the other machine

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
Had the R4's on my B and never damaged the grass, since there was no need to have it in 4wd. No issues in snow whatsoever.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Had the R4's on my B and never damaged the grass, since there was no need to have it in 4wd. No issues in snow whatsoever.
Same here with a B7500 and an L3200. My much lighter Ford 1210 will leave more marks with its R1's. My creek comes up into the lower yard a few times each year. The best tractor to take on the grass after the water recedes has been the L3200 with R4's. The worst is the Ford. I never mow with the loader attached or use 4WD.

MikeBo

Equipment
B3350,and a GX110
Mar 22, 2015
Stilwell
The B2650 and B3350 only weigh a few hundred lbs more than a BX, I have the R4 tires and they work well, and don't leave marks in my yard, but if you turn real sharp they would, one thing to consider, around here you can not sell a tractor with turf tires, in fact some dealers are very reluctant to trade for them.