new L3200

chuck172

Equipment
L3200, ford4500tlb, ford8n
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
Just got my new L3200 delivered today. To tell the truth, I'm a bit concerned. Problem is I'm used to my Ford f250 with a 8' plow, and my old ford 4500 tlb. This kubota doesn't seem like it will be strong enough for snowplowing.
My 800' shale driveway is icy, and the snow is like cement. I'm just playing around with the tractor and it's just playing back at me. I see there will be a learning curve, it's not what I'm used to.
I'll be installing a snowplow on it (next year) and let it take over. I hope my expectations aren't too high!

Last edited:

SteveF

Equipment
BX25
May 15, 2013
Huntingdon, PA
Chuck, welcome to OTT. Don't panic! You will get used to it and it will do all you want plus. If ice and a grade are problematic, chains and weights will help.

Are you using FEL for plowing? Yeah, a blade will make life better. Does your 4500 TBL have float on the loader? That feature is pretty helpful when you get a little seat time with it, one of those knack thingies.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What tires did you get? The right tires/chains will make a ton of difference!
I run studded front tires and that makes a world of difference on ice.
I have a special set of rear tires so I don't need rear chains, but with normal tires you'll probably want chains.
Get some chains front and rear and it will go threw just about anything.
If you want to really do a good job of snow removal get a good snowblower and a good blade and you'll be set.

It's a little different than a plow truck, but I bet your plow truck cant run a snow blower either! ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well my friend some pictures would be nice,, we love pictures,,, and give the gal a chance it will surprise you. I don't know what you mean by playing but just post what your doing and what you want it to do and somebody has been there or done that already and will pipe up,, Congrads and welcome to the orange;)

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Welcome aboard! You didn't mention if the rear tires are filled. Mine with filled rears and at least a blade on the back for added weight. I've had trouble on ice, but expect that.

One thing I'd do soon is add a wear edge to the bucket. The factory edge on my previous loader showed a lot of wear after one winter. One of the first things I did after getting the L3200 was add an edge.

FLHollowPoint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST 4WD, 72" finish mower, 72" rake, 5' Bush hog, 5' box blade, hay spear
Feb 16, 2014
Weirsdale, Florida, USA
Welcome to the site Chuck. I can not offer any advice on the snow and ice since I am a Florida guy, But I can tell you that you will love your new machine. I just purchased the L3800 and is just about identical to yours and I love it. It handles anything a Florida horse farm can throw at it. Post pics and congratulation.

chuck172

Equipment
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
Thanks all for the support. I am kind-of let down. After all the antisipation, and of course the 17k I was expecting more. Time will tell.
I have R1 tires, loaded.
One problem I know I have to adress is I need a level indicater on the loader. I've read the that they're easily made.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
Hang something on the 3PH and give it another go on Monday. The only issues I have are traction on ice, and I've had that problem in the past with anything without chains. I've cleared snow with 4 tractors, a Dodge Power Wagon, K5 Blazer and a Wrangler and when there was ice under the snow had trouble getting all of them to grab. Running chains on blacktop driveways isn't something I'll do though.

Last edited:

zoomy

Equipment
l5740,6' Brush mower, Bobcat 873,Marshal tree saw, 48" Pallet Forks, Bobcat T770
Feb 22, 2014
Mundelien, IL
+1 what chim said. Ice will affect any size tractor, especially trying to push heavy snow on hilly terrain. Chains are the way to go in those situations.
I still have to add rear wheel weights to my L5740 to deal with 35,000 square feet of driveway and apron at my place.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Like said, hang some weight on the 3 pt to counter the FEL. Even with a empty bucket the FEL takes weight off the rear & puts it on the front axle. With 500-1200 on the 3 pt these small rigs are a completely different animal.

Loaded rear tires & wheels weight add greatly to traction and stability, but do not take the place of good counter weight on the 3 pt...

Chains for traction when working in ice & snow...

Congrats on a fine machine!

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Please keep in mind that the TLB has about a ton of backhoe hanging out the rear.
I run my L3200 with filled R1s plus 140lb weight on each rear wheel. I've put hex head machine screws in the tires and have traction galore, but the screws pull out. I'm going to replace them with Grip Studs. I run a 6' Rhino blade on the rear (wish I had a 7') and remove snow like crazy on a 600' uphill gravel driveway.
Most of us here are dazzled by what the tractors will do. Hanging a 600lb thing on the 3PH will make a world of difference.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I hang a 900lb cement block off the back of my L3200 with chains on all 4 with loaded tires. I plow a 1/4 mile long private road up mt percival with it, with heavy wet snow on coastal Maine. No problem. And we get a lot of snow here, and it is always wet and heavy as hell.

chuck172

Equipment
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
I hang a 900lb cement block off the back of my L3200 with chains on all 4 with loaded tires. I plow a 1/4 mile long private road up mt percival with it, with heavy wet snow on coastal Maine. No problem. And we get a lot of snow here, and it is always wet and heavy as hell.
What do you use, the back blade, front loader or a snowplow?

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I agree with what bluegill said. Loaded tires are very good, but you still want FEL counter weight low & behind the rear wheels. This will make a big difference on your traction. As for the control and traction on the ice - another vote for the chains.

Chuck, Welcome to OTT...

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Chuck, I started off with just using a combination of my truck and just the front end loader. Now I have a borrowed skid steer snow plow. Right now I am building my own from a nice clean fisher snow plow I found used for a 100 bucks. I bought a skid steer q/a plate from KFI industries for 99 bucks shipped to the door, so I will have my own. But yes, it works good... I am running AMPC chains on the back and ice chains on the front I got from my tire guy. (I sell tires at my shop so I get a pretty good deal on them) If you want I can see exactly what they are. They work really well, really aggressive. I do have spacers in the back wheels, I dont know if I really needed them with the chains or not but does add some stability.

chuck172

Equipment
Feb 12, 2014
honesdale, Pa.
rparkinson,
What size plow are you putting on the L3200?
Are you concerned at all about overstressing the loader arms? I'm talking side force when the plow is angled. Are you going to be using the loader tilt hydraulics for angling the plow?

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Hey Chuck. It is a 7' Fisher. I am not worried about that in the least. I know a few people that use this setup with no problems. I do see the concern, but you would have to hit something dam hard to damage them. If anyone else has herd or seen otherwise chime in... I had a Farmall 300 with a 7' blade and a 7' wing. That thing would move some snow. It had new tires with ice chains and a lot of ballast. I plowed the whole road with it and it really worked super with the wing. Through out the winter the snow would really close the road in, and with the wing I could keep it open no problem. With the wing, it was clearing around a 13' swath. No prob with the loader arms. I will use my third function that normally runs my grapple to angle the plow. If you are thinking about something like this down the road and have any questions at all, dont hesitate to ask. If I can help someone avoid the mistakes I have already made I am happy to do it, as is anyone here.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Speaking of bending loader arms, has anyone here ever heard of bending them? I mean I can see it if you were going down the road in high range wide open and slamming into a pole or something but under somewhat normal use? I have never seen that myself. I had a buddy with a L4610 pull a stupid move years ago... I dont know the details now but I do know he had way to much to drink and slammed into a rock hard enough to destroy the bucket, but it did not mess with the arms... I will have to ask him what the heck he did.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You can't create enough force to even come close to bending the loader arms!
The arms are a lot stronger than trip on the blade too. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
You might have an issue with them if you would twist it side to side maybe, but I have my doubts