My B2601 broke in half!

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Richmond, IN, United States
So, learned a MAJOR lesson today.

When I connected the tractor back together I made sure the two drive shafts hit their mark. However, I separated the two in half a second time and I failed to verify the shafts were correct.

Front wheels were blocked and I had the back off the ground, everything turned fine so I thought???

Put the hydraulics system back together and all I am lacking is the bolt, spring and ball pictured in the 2nd picture.

pto.JPG

I'm not sure why it is there, must be a check valve but it pisses fluid when I cranked her up. I made a bolt on my lathe and bought a spring, had the ball bearing all ready. Its not right because it is still pissing fluid. just a steady stream.

So, back to the Major screw-up! I got all the required stuff installed, figured I jump in the seat and roll her backwards under power, would lose a small amount of fluid so I did.

When I pushed the pedal she didn't move but I could tell she wanted to. I dropped her to Low gear and hit the pedal again and she moved backwards for the first time since the wreck. The problem is, the front tires were not rolling, they slid under power. Engaged 4wd, still slid???

Got underneath and noticed a budge in the cover over the universal joint for the shaft to front axle. OH NO I said! Ok I said some other things and threw the hammer. When I slid it together the second time it missed the universal and slid to the side of it jamming the universal so the front wheels would not turn.

pto1.JPG

The only was to fix it was to break it in half again!

20180524_162740.jpg

I cut the cover off and was able to use two tie down straps from the front wheels to the rear wheels to hold it together. I had to unhook several things and remove the floor sheet metal, brake rods, hydraulic lines, and lots of bolts!

Was able to line it up and used the straps to ratchet it back together a click at a time adjusting up and down with jack.

Crazy shit happens, lesson learned. After I corrected my mistake I reinstalled everything. Put it in neutral and she rolled, fired her up and drover her all over the dirt pissing hydraulic fluid!

She works, all 3 ranges, just need the parts for the check valve to seal the system! I'm tired! :eek:

Last edited:

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
I would get it running well enough to get it insured and parked in a spot where it is likley to get struck by lightning. :p

Amazing that you can repair that. I would figure that as a total loss.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! It was a job for sure, I tried to keep track of my hours but I lost track. No Idea how much the labor bill would have been on this fix?

I wish I would have had insurance, bought it back after they totaled it and then fixed it. And got a second bigger tractor! Lol

Hard to believe you could see through the tractor! 20180428_144831.jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Egressman, you amaze me. You take that piece of rolled up, bent iron and make it work. It may seem silly, ridiculous, crazy, foolish, impossible, or many other adjectives, but you have the desire to see it working again and determination to achieve that result. That's a quality very few have these days.

If I could choose the personality of a neighbor you're the kind of person I'd like to live nearby! A problem solver.

I think it was Yoda in a Starwars movie who said, "There is no try. Either do or do not!

Congratulations on your work.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Thanks for documenting and sharing this wonderful saga.

Congratulations on your success and effort.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Egressman, you amaze me. You take that piece of rolled up, bent iron and make it work. It may seem silly, ridiculous, crazy, foolish, impossible, or many other adjectives, but you have the desire to see it working again and determination to achieve that result. That's a quality very few have these days.

If I could choose the personality of a neighbor you're the kind of person I'd like to live nearby! A problem solver.

I think it was Yoda in a Starwars movie who said, "There is no try. Either do or do not!

Congratulations on your work.
D2Cat,

Wow, I mean wow! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!

These words are heart felt, kind and from the heart. I had no idea how this was going to go, I just knew I had to try. Again, there are many people in my life that have helped me along the way. From my father to many others.

I started out sharing this project to show the damage from the accident. I was in disbelief of how broke it was. As I peeled back the layers one part at a time It just kept getting worse. When I realized it was actually broke into two pieces I was heart broke.

I knew I couldn't replace it so my only option was to try and fix it. And one issue at a time I have been able to make it live again!

Thanks again for all the positive reinforcement from all of you!

Eddie

PS: This brought me to tears!

Last edited:

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
dude you are tearing this thing up...

LMAO... well actually you are tearing it up putting it back together.

but good on you!

i build & fix stuff all the time & this is majorly impressive to me!

soon as you get all this part done, you gonna tackle the FEL?

Newlyme

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 w/loader, finish mower, tiller, auger, rake. BX24 w/loader, backhoe
May 27, 2015
Nelson Ohio USA
I have been following this thread from day one. Been interesting to say the least.
I had a close call of my own towing one of my tractors. But for the Grace of God...
So no judgement from here. Just genuine curiosity. Parts list and cost on this bring it back to life journey.
Best of luck and can't wait to see you on it! :)

P.S. After you're done no one is going to know this model of Tractor better than you! You're a valuable asset here on OTT!!! Don't go anywhere! :D

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
dude you are tearing this thing up...

LMAO... well actually you are tearing it up putting it back together.

but good on you!

i build & fix stuff all the time & this is majorly impressive to me!

soon as you get all this part done, you gonna tackle the FEL?
Yes, I want to get through hay season 1st cutting and then I am going to tackle the Loader. I also want to build a drum Mower!

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
I have been following this thread from day one. Been interesting to say the least.
I had a close call of my own towing one of my tractors. But for the Grace of God...
So no judgement from here. Just genuine curiosity. Parts list and cost on this bring it back to life journey.
Best of luck and can't wait to see you on it! :)

P.S. After you're done no one is going to know this model of Tractor better than you! You're a valuable asset here on OTT!!! Don't go anywhere! :D
Lol-I can say I know the B2601 from the clutch housing back for sure! I will try to put together a parts list and cost when I'm done.

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Pretty impressive, the boy has talent!
Thanks a bunch, I like to build stuff and this was a job for sure.

I was able to get it up and running before I have got my Jeep back. They just did a $3000 supplement to my insurance for more repairs. SmH :confused::confused:

I really wanted it totaled but it's to new and still worth to much. They are at $6000 and change now.

I hooked up the finish mower and cut the edge of my hay fields with her. She functions as she should. I might have a noise in my PTO, waiting to get a better listen. Need some front weights with that loader missing.

20180525_185215_001.jpg Still have several things to install. Need to get my lights back installed and some of the covers on the flooring panels. :)

20180525_210344.jpg

20180525_210440.jpg

20180525_210416.jpg You can see the new case in this photo!

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Quite an accomplishment. Looks great and nice write up about it.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Thanks, some things I would do different if I knew then what I know now! Starting with towing it to my friends! Lol!:)
Hindsight is always 20/20 vision. We all have things that we would do differently if we could.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Eddie - -

I can’t say it as well as D2Cat did a couple days ago ....but my sentiments are EXACTLY the same.....

Good for you, and if there were more people like you, we would live in a better place and time!!!!

You did one helluva job!!!

I tip my Kubota hat to you, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OrangeJoe

Equipment
B2650
Sep 15, 2015
Henniker, NH
This is an amazing post for a couple of reasons. 1) Just to admit what had transpired is more than most would do. I expect because of this others will be spared the pain Egressman went through. Also it may keep others from pulling with too small of a trailer or tow rig, which is a major safety hazard for all. 2) Egressman is a very talented Kubota Owner.

Great job / Great post.

OrangeJoe

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
Eddie - -

I can’t say it as well as D2Cat did a couple days ago ....but my sentiments are EXACTLY the same.....

Good for you, and if there were more people like you, we would live in a better place and time!!!!

You did one helluva job!!!

I tip my Kubota hat to you, sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Friend-I got the last few parts I needed today. I installed them this evening and will check it out in the daylight tomorrow. I started a new job this week so my free time has been taken away somewhat.

I am the new County Deputy Veterans Service Officer(VSO). Only 4 days a week but that's a lot since I haven't worked a real job in 3 years. Felt a calling to this one, I get to help fellow Vets find the help they need.

Egressman

Egressman

Equipment
B2601
Sep 7, 2016
This is an amazing post for a couple of reasons. 1) Just to admit what had transpired is more than most would do. I expect because of this others will be spared the pain Egressman went through. Also it may keep others from pulling with too small of a trailer or tow rig, which is a major safety hazard for all. 2) Egressman is a very talented Kubota Owner.

Great job / Great post.

OrangeJoe
Great Point! I was hesitant at first to throw it out there to the wolves! I figured I would have to defend my thoughts and try to justify my mistakes.

That really wasn't the case here, there were mistakes made and the cost was great. I was blessed that no one was hurt, no one else was involved, and some great lessons were learned by many I believe.

In the Air Force we would have a "Hot Wash" after events. We got key players together and broke down failures and success. We made corrections based on these findings so the problems were not repeated and both the good and bad findings were shared to save others the same issues.

It's funny how things you learn stick with you even when your resistant to them at first. Lol. I do hope all the above, safety is hard to measure. It's only the bad things that get recorded because the good goes unnoticed.

Egressman

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Egressman, your tractor hauling incident serves the community with a visual that makes it easy to remember. And I use this quote with each post as a reminder: "Learn from the mistakes of others---you can never live long enough to make them all yourself."

If others can profit from your mistake the cost you paid becomes less!