Fueling my L3800 sucks !

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Yes you did, and I appreciate the tip.

Now I've just gotta figure how to repurpose the two sucky EPA approved Spectre brand diesel jugs I've got. I can't imagine ever using them again for refilling my tractor.
I was trying to do like dfh said, extra fuel storge, but didn't like having to pour from those cans into the No-Spill cans. Gave the old ones to someone I didn't particularly like and bought a couple more No-Spill. Plan to get another couple more soon. :cool:

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
I had a terrible experience with "no spill" yellow 5 gallon diesel can. Fueling my L3800 until the spout slipped off gas tank...spring and the shut off spout came off and into my tank. Needless to say I was not very happy. Had remove the tractor hood as well as tank bolts (4 of them), and a few more other "under the hood" bolts. Was able to pull the tank out approx. 2 inches and remove screws from what I believe was the diesel gauge monitor cap cover (????) Pumped out the full tank of diesel and used magnetic pick up extension for spring and pickup extension with prongs to pick up plastic spout. All in all took about 2 hours to get this done....Was more "P" offed with the wasted time I spend having to remove both items. I would think long and hard about buying this diesel can ever again. When it works it works great...when it comes apart like with me...it really can ruin your day...Pics attached... IMAG0020(1).jpg

IMAG0023(1).jpg

IMAG0024(1).jpg

IMAG0021(1).jpg

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I just bought a yellow epa jug. I know they suck more than they pour.
But my habit is to only put about four gallons in a jug,simply to make it easier to manage.
Im in no hurry to spill fuel all over.
I am fortunate to have a tiny tank.

Most fuel tanks are intended to fill 80%of total tank volume, keeping that in mind, the sender is more accurate.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
Just happened to see PWM3rd's post about the trouble had with a "no spill" can.
I see the can, understand the problem, and feel his pain. Those are a PITA, for sure.

However, that is not what I understand the No-Spill can to be. I have a different can, and love it; don't see it failing like the others.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Any fuel can you need more than one hand to use is a PIA

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
So my tractor holds 10 gallons of fuel, my gauge reads above 1/2 full, and I pour in exactly 5.18 gallons, now my gauge reads almost full, and the fuel level is 4" from the top of the tank.I could probably fit 2 more gallons in it ? Not to mention these new un-vented, piece of s#!t fuel cans ! The first bit of fuel, as you tip the can, is under un-vented pressure and squirts out about two feet from the giant funnel i use, then take forever to empty out.... I'm certain I have sprained my sphincter ! I looked at a 14 gallon, rolling fuel can with hose and nozzle, but it had a 1/2" hose, and just looked like another piece of s#!t only bigger !
So what are the options me amigos' ? I've found that people on this forum come up with really helpful ideas for the most part...so lets do this, hit me up !
Buckaroo52,

I agree with you on the fueling issue. They are hard to fuel without spilling. And I agree with the crap and the US OF A has forced upon us. I use one of this giant red funnels and it has a filter screen in the bottom. I'm going to get one of those no-spill cans as well. I've been putting diesel into a smaller 2 gl. can and then fueling to avoid the 5 gallon can up in my arms trying to balance and then watching the fuel spill anyway.

I found a great gas can at a garage sale made of metal with a spout that you can open and close with one hand. They aren't made any more but I love that thing. I just with the stupids would recognize good stuff when they see it. However, it's only 1 gallon.

Burt

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
I fuel up from a bulk tank 90+% of the time so no problem there.

I do have 3 pos 5gal cans that I do use sometimes. A trick I have learned when using them is to push down on the contraption on the fill spout to release any built up pressure then while the can is vented, squeeze the sides in and while keeping them compressed release the spout vent. Now you have created a vacuum in the can. When you go to fill your tank, this vacuum prevents the fuel from immediately squirting out giving you a small window to get the spout in place. Also, i never use a can to top off my tank.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I had a terrible experience with "no spill" yellow 5 gallon diesel can. Fueling my L3800 until the spout slipped off gas tank...spring and the shut off spout came off and into my tank. Needless to say I was not very happy. Had remove the tractor hood as well as tank bolts (4 of them), and a few more other "under the hood" bolts. Was able to pull the tank out approx. 2 inches and remove screws from what I believe was the diesel gauge monitor cap cover (????) Pumped out the full tank of diesel and used magnetic pick up extension for spring and pickup extension with prongs to pick up plastic spout. All in all took about 2 hours to get this done....Was more "P" offed with the wasted time I spend having to remove both items. I would think long and hard about buying this diesel can ever again. When it works it works great...when it comes apart like with me...it really can ruin your day...Pics attached... View attachment 12492

View attachment 12493

View attachment 12494

View attachment 12495
That's not a No-Spill brand can. That one of the cheap-ass cans...

Mountain William

Equipment
L3800
Apr 20, 2013
Virginia
Hey, PWM3rd, I go along with DanDan and Bluegill. That can in your picture ain't a No-Spill brand can. Some of 'em may say they are no spill, but the actual No-Spill brand can is a whole nother animal. I've never had a problem with the No-Spill brand can. It works great.

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Hey, PWM3rd, I go along with DanDan and Bluegill. That can in your picture ain't a No-Spill brand can. Some of 'em may say they are no spill, but the actual No-Spill brand can is a whole nother animal. I've never had a problem with the No-Spill brand can. It works great.
Thanks and yes you are right about it being a "knock -off" No Spill diesel can. I wanted to make sure the OTT members didnt have happen to them what happened to me. I already located the "real deal" No Spill and looks to me like the way to go. It's just a shame that a USA made product (as advertised) like the one I originally purchased performed the way it did. Thanks again. PWM3rd

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I had the same cheap no spill auto can that PWM3rd has for gas, the same thing happened the thing popped apart while filling a truck tank, took 2 days to get the parts out of the tank filler hose/pipe! :mad:

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I must be wickedly lucky, I haven't had any spill problems with the common "Pour/Stop" cans... well, other than my slowness on the 'WHOA, nice shootin' Tex' overfill... :D

My dad has issues with them breaking down but he leaves them in the sunlight, I do not.

My final solution will be the 55 gallon drum on a cross cradle just higher than the tractor fill and use the FEL to take it 2 miles down the road for refills. I'm going to have Sir Isaac Newton pump my gas for me! :cool:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now that wouldn't be to hard to put a tire valed type stem and then say like 30 psi off the compressor and you could let it set on the floor

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Rant ON

CARB: MAY A THOUSAND FLEAS INFEST YOUR UNDERWEAR!!!

Using a CARB can, I am carefully dribbling fuel into my tank... after about four seconds, the flexible hose off the valve disconnects and slowly slides into the gas tank.

DOH!!!!

I have spent an hour trying to fish that danged thing out and it's nowhere to be found. They must hang the fuel tank on wires on the assembly line and add parts to it. Getting the tank out is not going to be easy. The filler hose is diesel rated so I doubt it will do any damage. Every time I refill the tank, I fish around for a few minutes... no luck.

WHAT A CROCK OF LARD!!! CALIFORNICA STAY OUT OF MY STUFF!!!

Rant OFF

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Rant ON

CARB: MAY A THOUSAND FLEAS INFEST YOUR UNDERWEAR!!!

Using a CARB can, I am carefully dribbling fuel into my tank... after about four seconds, the flexible hose off the valve disconnects and slowly slides into the gas tank.

DOH!!!!

I have spent an hour trying to fish that danged thing out and it's nowhere to be found. They must hang the fuel tank on wires on the assembly line and add parts to it. Getting the tank out is not going to be easy. The filler hose is diesel rated so I doubt it will do any damage. Every time I refill the tank, I fish around for a few minutes... no luck.

WHAT A CROCK OF LARD!!! CALIFORNICA STAY OUT OF MY STUFF!!!

Rant OFF
No Spill Brand is the one. The other cheapass cans are junk... Just sayin an stuff...

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
I've put some of the tire valve stems in my plastic tanks. 2 of them have dissolved from the inside, turned to a gooie mush. I think they were Slime brand. Just picked up some more today with a different brand name. May take a mnth to find out if they are any better.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Gentlemen, I'm writing to determine if I read something in this string correctly...

What I think I'm seeing is that a Schrader-type tank valve or vehicle-type tire stem valve is being used with an air compressor to pressurize a fuel can to 'push' the fuel out of the can for delivery.

Have you considered that--regardless of fuel type--a pressurized bomb-in-a-fuel-can is the result?

Please discontinue--again, assuming I'm reading correctly the several posts--this practice.

I welcome additional comments or insight, especially if I'm misreading the intent of what was written.

Otherwise, please continue to post experiences so we may all learn. In this string I've already learned of a submergible fuel pump I didn't know existed.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Gentlemen, I'm writing to determine if I read something in this string correctly...

What I think I'm seeing is that a Schrader-type tank valve or vehicle-type tire stem valve is being used with an air compressor to pressurize a fuel can to 'push' the fuel out of the can for delivery.

Have you considered that--regardless of fuel type--a pressurized bomb-in-a-fuel-can is the result?

Please discontinue--again, assuming I'm reading correctly the several posts--this practice.

I welcome additional comments or insight, especially if I'm misreading the intent of what was written.

Otherwise, please continue to post experiences so we may all learn. In this string I've already learned of a submergible fuel pump I didn't know existed.
Stubbie,

I think the tire valve idea is NOT to place pressure on the can, rather use it as a vent - there is a boobtube video that shows how to use a tire valve, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6WZ9FrXPiE)remove the stem and then use it to allow AIR to enter like the good old cans of old. I dont think anyone is pressurizing the can.....sheez that WOULD be a bad thing!:eek:

I use a small piece of clear tubing as my vent, allows me to pour gas/diesel or whatever at a nice even pace.