Fueling my L3800 sucks !

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
So my tractor holds 10 gallons of fuel, my gauge reads above 1/2 full, and I pour in exactly 5.18 gallons, now my gauge reads almost full, and the fuel level is 4" from the top of the tank.I could probably fit 2 more gallons in it ? Not to mention these new un-vented, piece of s#!t fuel cans ! The first bit of fuel, as you tip the can, is under un-vented pressure and squirts out about two feet from the giant funnel i use, then take forever to empty out.... I'm certain I have sprained my sphincter ! I looked at a 14 gallon, rolling fuel can with hose and nozzle, but it had a 1/2" hose, and just looked like another piece of s#!t only bigger !
So what are the options me amigos' ? I've found that people on this forum come up with really helpful ideas for the most part...so lets do this, hit me up !

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
No Spill brand cans. I can put 5 gallons in my L3800 without spilling one drop of fuel. Best cans I've ever used in over 30 years of tractoring! :cool:

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I bought one at my dealer. It is great. Expensive, but great. no leaks at all. I will take a pic/see what it is for you tomorrow. It was around 40 bucks. Worth every penny.

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
Buy your engine oil or transmission oil in 5 gallon buckets. When empty they avoid all that fuss. The only recommendation I would make is don't fill them all the way, so first use is not a mess. Use a funnel.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Before you pick up the diesel can to fuel the tractor, release the pressure that has built up in the can by pushing down on the mechanism that allows the fuel to flow. When it is cold these cans will create a vacuum and suck the sides in.:)

Tarmy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2800, BH76A, FEL,box scraper
Nov 17, 2009
Lake Almanor, Ca
No spill can (plastic actually). I just replaced ALL of my gas cans, fuel blend cans ( for weed wacker sand chain saw) and diesel . They are great...no funnel...and not a drop spilled. They are pricey...but worth every penny. Amazon has them and all the colors including kerosine .

Last edited:

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Thanks for the tip!! I just ordered 2 of them.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Race fuel jugs from Jegs or Summit racing....they have a standard 3/4" black iron pipe thread so you can put a shut off on them if you wish and a long flexible hose. CHEAPER than any of the stupid environmentally friendly ones that cause us to spill more than we actually did BEFORE they went to these safety cans. You'll be able to fill your rig in less than 30 seconds and be back on the trails!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/8021...8&cadevice=c&gclid=CJSnh_Tmxr0CFaVQOgoduDMAmg

Please note these ARE designed to hold fuel, they just need the disclaimer for the California environmental laws....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That's a fact Bill we have found several of them along the interstate going and coming home from the dirt track, and it don't take but a couple of seconds to empty a can

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
The fuel gauge misreading has been brought up a few times in here. The tank is shaped like a fat number 7, so it holds most of the fuel at the top of the tank.

When the gauge reads half full you probably only left with 1/4 tank of fuel, I noticed right away that the second half (on the gauge anyway) goes really fast. Seems like they should have been able to make the gauge work correctly.

I wish I would have bought one of the no spill cans instead of the metal safety can I have now. I don't think I have put fuel in without spilling a little on the hood, unless I was at the pump.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I bought one at my dealer. It is great. Expensive, but great. no leaks at all. I will take a pic/see what it is for you tomorrow. It was around 40 bucks. Worth every penny.
Less than $30 at the local HW store here, but that was a couple years ago.

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I'll say it again, with the 'No Spill' can you can fill your rig without a funnel and not spill a drop. Do not lump this can in with all the new environmental friendly cans that are mostly crap. :cool:

Last edited:

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
I'll say it again, with the 'No Spill' can you can fill your rig without a funnel and not spill a drop. Do not lump this can in with all the new environmental friendly cans than are mostly crap. :cool:
I will 2nd this statement !!!

As stated above, they are about $30 (for 5 gal) at local hardware stores in my area too. The 2 1/2 gal is about $5 less. At least they were back in December.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2014
Central NY
Race fuel jugs from Jegs or Summit racing....they have a standard 3/4" black iron pipe thread so you can put a shut off on them if you wish and a long flexible hose. CHEAPER than any of the stupid environmentally friendly ones that cause us to spill more than we actually did BEFORE they went to these safety cans. You'll be able to fill your rig in less than 30 seconds and be back on the trails!

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/8021...8&cadevice=c&gclid=CJSnh_Tmxr0CFaVQOgoduDMAmg

Please note these ARE designed to hold fuel, they just need the disclaimer for the California environmental laws....
Thanks Billdog, I am going to order a couple of yellow diesel ones. $19.99 each with free shipping . . can't beat that with a stick!!

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
The Jeg's cans do look handy, but would be messy starting with a full jug. & you'll nee a pretty large funnel...

BotaDriver

Equipment
L3800dt
May 15, 2013
North GA
When mine is reading between E and 1/4, 5.2 gallons will make the gauge read FULL. Takes another 2 gallons to get it to the top of the tank. I use 5 gallon containers and usually refill when below 1/3 on the gauge as it will hold all 5 gallons at that point. I ran the machine below the last line and it still had 2 gallons or so in the tank when viewed with a flashlight.