How do you deal with snow?

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Here it is. Couldn't be happier being able to support local, small business.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
That thing looks awesome. You said it was a 6ft out of 5/16"? That lower long triangle gusset, is it open on the bottom, or closed up so nothing can stay built up under it? I hope you get to use it, it looks impressive for sure!

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I just ran out to my outbuilding and re-eyeballed those rear wheels, they are single piece, and deeply dished. If swapped, you couldn't even get them back on. They are un-swappable in other words. I think this may be a fact of life with the L3301, a cost savings thing by Kubota I'd bet, the only option will be a spacer.

Last edited:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Have you tried deflating your tires any? That might free up some room and save some money.
Sounds like you have either R4 industrial or R3 turf tires.

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Sounds like you have either R4 industrial or R3 turf tires.
From this picture, they are 15-19.5 R4 industrial tires:

In which case, they are wider than the R1s and can't be swapped. Spacers would be the only solution.

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Ha! My first thought when I saw that picture was, "man that looks like my dog Spike", then it clicked.....nice view!

Thanks for that. I'm resigned to ordering the spacers, in 30 minutes or so, as soon as they open, I want to get my new chains back on before spring. Now that I know for sure a simple wheel swap or other re-adjustment to get a wider stance is not in the cards, I have to say I am a little disappointed in Kubota, what were they thinking? Realizing a narrow stance is preferable in some applications, did they have to make it THAT narrow? Just another 1" clearance would have made the issue a non event: room for chains with no wheel swap, adapters, or screwing around, they get snow in Japan I'm pretty sure. All my 4 wheel drive pickups I've ever owned had room for chains, but maybe the newer ones don't, it just seems like they pussified the thing by not leaving that bit of extra room. Maybe they were thinking it'd only be used in surburbia on flat level pavement or something?

That partially seen snow fence in the background was the best thing I ever did, I put it up after talking with the guys up at the ski area above my place. It changed my 5' deep drifts into much more manageable 2' ones. That ROPS has been folded in half since I bought it, (still offering a fair bit of protection in a roll over I'd guess)new, my outbuilding I keep it in doesn't have the door height to upfold it, and I just knew that was the better solution, rather then rebuild the building after the first time I forgot to fold it down. I also get a little extra speed when transporting due to the lower aero drag.

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
Spacers ordered, it sounds like they build them as the orders come in, and the guy on the phone was standing in the shop. CNC machined out of aluminum billet, and he has 200 sets in front of me. 10 days......if I would have been thinking I'd have ordered in July! Another 16" overnight, on top of yesterdays 19", throw in the wind at times and it is kind of getting serious at my 5600' elevation. Yesterday the road to the ski area above my place was blocked off by troopers, too many stuck rigs and general chaos. Worse, once on the snow at the area, the snow is too heavy to be good skiing, we need a bit less of it and less moisture in it. This pic is colored correct, it IS that gloomy out there, and still snowing.....

Attachments

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
That thing looks awesome. You said it was a 6ft out of 5/16"? That lower long triangle gusset, is it open on the bottom, or closed up so nothing can stay built up under it? I hope you get to use it, it looks impressive for sure!
Thanks and yes, 6' wide, 2' high and 2' deep, 5/16.

The gusset is open on the bottom but I don't see it being an issue. There isn't a lot of real estate there for it to grow into something unmanegable.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
I have to say I am a little disappointed in Kubota, what were they thinking? Realizing a narrow stance is preferable in some applications, did they have to make it THAT narrow? Just another 1" clearance would have made the issue a non event: room for chains with no wheel swap, adapters, or screwing around, they get snow in Japan I'm pretty sure.
To be fair to Kubota's engineers, they are probably reading this and saying "What was he thinking, opting for industrial tires when he wants it to clear snow?" ;)

Ok, in all seriousness, they did design in adaptability for the Ag tire rims. It was probably the marketing department that added the industrial and turf options, both of which involve wider tires generally associated with tasks that don't require the same level of traction as Ag tires.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
To be fair to Kubota's engineers, they are probably reading this and saying "What was he thinking, opting for industrial tires when he wants it to clear snow?" ;)

Ok, in all seriousness, they did design in adaptability for the Ag tire rims. It was probably the marketing department that added the industrial and turf options, both of which involve wider tires generally associated with tasks that don't require the same level of traction as Ag tires.
You can adjust the stance of tractors having industrial tires by swapping rims around at least on the 60 series tractors. If you look in your owner's manual toward the back there is a section on tires wheels and ballast. It has a table of what is possible with which tires. Whether it would help with your chain issue or not, I can't tell. It depends on where they are rubbing, and I am having trouble visualizing it. But it would help with stability.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Idaho - my little BX doesn't have much room either, but I make due without spacers.

My chains are much lighter gauge than yours, I'm sure.

But, if I "cheat" them to the outside, and keep them TIGHT, they've worked fine for 6 seasons. I put them on, "run them in," re-hook/shorten both the inner and outer hooks, and then tighten with many tarp straps.

Again, may not help you long term or at all. Just want to throw it out.

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
"Industry" tires, interesting, I thought they'd best be called Ag tires! No matter, their not "turf" tires anyway. As it was, the tractor was on the dealer lot, I had the money burning a hole in my pocket, and they looked Ag enough, and now 2 years later I find they are not Ag tires, oh well. I'm happy with their traction, but I wish I had those Ag wheels. Anyway, I got my owners manual out, and found the section you pointed out, and it says "REMOVE THE WHEEL RIM/OR DISK MOUNTING BOLTS. CHANGE THE POSITION OF THE RIM/ OR DISC (RIGHT AND LEFT) AND CHANGE TO THE DESIRED POSITION. I don't believe that will help me, with my industrial wheels, as the manual calls out only one width dimension possible when using the industrial, 45.1" Whereas the Ag,has three, 43.8, 47.1, 50.8". Or am I missing something?

My chains fit nice and tight, no slop, and the chain rubbing was intermittent, and my first thought was just to live with it. But now and then, they would rub a bit more aggressively, almost catching but not quite. That quickly got old, after my first snow clearing with them, I decided that would just not do, thus the spacers order.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well I figured it was worth a shot. Each model seems to be different with regard to clearances. Putting spacers on my B2650 with turfs so I could use chains makes it so the mid mount mower deck won't raise up all the way.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
Well I figured it was worth a shot. Each model seems to be different with regard to clearances. Putting spacers on my B2650 with turfs so I could use chains makes it so the mid mount mower deck won't raise up all the way.
But does that matter, does it raise high enough to put it back away with no trouble. The L3800 I had with R4's I had to buy spacers in order to use chains which wasn't cheap by no means.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
But does that matter, does it raise high enough to put it back away with no trouble. The L3800 I had with R4's I had to buy spacers in order to use chains which wasn't cheap by no means.
You can't get the deck high enough in the summer time to pin it out of the way if you want to put the loader on. It rubs on the tire. Other solutions include taking the deck off completely. Or taking the spacers off since I don't need the chains or haven't so far. They do come in handy for adding stability when mowing near banks though.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Whereas the Ag,has three, 43.8, 47.1, 50.8". Or am I missing something?

My chains fit nice and tight, no slop, and the chain rubbing was intermittent
Well I figured it was worth a shot.
Idaho - I don't believe you're missing something. I've seen here there are some nice amenities on the Grand L's the basic L's don't have. Your analysis of the R4's versus R1's seems to be one. Sheep's suggestion was worth a shot.

Same with my suggestion....just hoping you could buy half-an-inch..

Kind of stinks to find it out in February. Hopefully that Pennsylvania woodchuck is right about the early Spring!:p

I had new chains for my fronts delivered Friday because my driveway was real icy last week.

Good thing I didn't put them on; was 50's Sunday, 63 Monday, and now it's bare stone....I'll have them for next season, I guess.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
You can't get the deck high enough in the summer time to pin it out of the way if you want to put the loader on. It rubs on the tire. Other solutions include taking the deck off completely. Or taking the spacers off since I don't need the chains or haven't so far. They do come in handy for adding stability when mowing near banks though.
Ahh I see now, nothing comes easy my friend but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

tunin

Equipment
Kubota B1-17, B2410
Jun 23, 2013
Medjugorje
I just realised my original link to dropbox was dead. Sorry about that.

This is what I use, we do not get loads of snow but if you***8217;re out there regularly you can deal with it no problem...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
John T - I take a similar tact...gotta do something while it warms up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: