ZG327 or ZD1011

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
I am in the process of deciding on either a zg327 or zd1011 This will be a personal use only machine to mow my retirement home in Texas. probably only 3-4 acres total with some hills so I know this is most likely overkill but I want this to be my last mower and a piece of equipment that gets passed down. Right now mowing it with a big box store JD and takes about 5 hours just to get over it and the cut is not very good.

Is the diesel worth the extra money given what I really want from the mower? Good cut, fast cut, reliability, and longevity OR would the ZG most likely get me the same effect for 3k less.

Also, I know the ride will be better on the ZD and that is important as I get older, or should I say the wife gets older but at some point, you have to stop else I will end up with the 1500 series.

I thought about a scag Tiger Cat II but for just a few more dollars I can get the ZG327. So now trying to nail down the final mower.

Thanks for the help

Soon to be TexasKubota under a different username.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
You know we never like answering the question asked. Second hand F? Nicer ride, will last forever even if you buy it with a lot of hours already on it....

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Diesels have been bullet proof for me. Quieter, more fuel efficient, less vibration too. I can’t buy gas without ethanol and have had plenty of issues with temperamental small gas engines.

A good ZTR will cut your mow times significantly. A negative of ZTR is a harsher ride on rougher ground. If you go the ZTR route I highly recommend an air ride seat for comfort and bar tires for traction, especially on hilly terrain.

Considering your retirement comment, FYI Kubota has warnings about older operators with slower reflexes on fast ZTR machines. I know there will be a point at which I will probably have to trade my ZD326 for a slower 4WD SCUT w/ MMM.

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
Thank you for the quick reply. Paul-- I know that these kinds of questions are controversial... but at least they were all Kubota. I mainly just wanted to see some comments on gas vs diesel since it is lots of extra money. I agree with Mike on gas but the Kawasaki motor is a good gasser, that is the main reason I ask for other opinions.

At least I did not start the Kubota vs Scag, Ferris etc. Like I said I want this to be a piece of equipment that my new grandson will inherit along with the new Kubota tractor (that my wife is unaware of at this point)

I may be changing direction slightly since I found what appears to be a good used ZD323 with very very low hours used only for residential cutting.

If my research is correct this is basically the ZD1011 or 1021 with a different model number. I have read nothing bad about that model but the information is somewhat limited. Any problems with the ZD323 that anyone is aware of. A Kubota is coming my way and I agree with Mike on the seat. My 70-year-old dad sat on the ZD 1011 and fell in love with just the seat.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Hard to go wrong with a Kubota diesel, particularly for longevity. If you're going with gas only to save money, then yeah, you'd be giving something up. Some people just like gas more, if you don't, then get the diesel.

DVR

Premium Member

Equipment
Kubota MX5400, L3560LE, L3301. KX033-4
May 8, 2020
Columbia, SC
I've been pleased with my scag liberty "prosumer" class mower.
Actually bought it from my kubota dealer, who also sells kubota mowers.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I really like the zd300 series mowers, and run 2 of them (zd326, 331). For me the biggest plus in diesel is the ease of fuel handling, and longevity. Kubota ZD mowers are beasts.
My only gas mower is a walk behind with a Kawasaki engine. Very reliable engine.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

freewheel3

Equipment
MX5000DT LA852, BX1800D, B6000DT, B6200HSTD, B7100HSTD, L185, T1700HX, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2013
Alberta
I bought a ZD1211 last summer. It is a well engineered, well built piece of equipment that I can tell will last many years. This thing is a beast. The diesel engine is the heart of these units and will last forever if taken care of.
My grandkids will be running this unit someday, and I don't even have grandkids.
Yet.
(not sure what they're waiting for, I ain't getting any younger and I want grandkids lol)

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Thank you for the quick reply. Paul-- I know that these kinds of questions are controversial... but at least they were all Kubota. I mainly just wanted to see some comments on gas vs diesel since it is lots of extra money. I agree with Mike on gas but the Kawasaki motor is a good gasser, that is the main reason I ask for other opinions.

At least I did not start the Kubota vs Scag, Ferris etc. Like I said I want this to be a piece of equipment that my new grandson will inherit along with the new Kubota tractor (that my wife is unaware of at this point)

I may be changing direction slightly since I found what appears to be a good used ZD323 with very very low hours used only for residential cutting.

If my research is correct this is basically the ZD1011 or 1021 with a different model number. I have read nothing bad about that model but the information is somewhat limited. Any problems with the ZD323 that anyone is aware of. A Kubota is coming my way and I agree with Mike on the seat. My 70-year-old dad sat on the ZD 1011 and fell in love with just the seat.
I remember the ZD321 having tranny overheating problems and I dont know if the 323 has the same issues. Try doing some research before you buy. The 326 made after 2008 fixed the issues seen in the older models.

Mine is a 2010 and has run flawlessly for me. My only complaint mechanically is lots of sharp edges trying to grease the PTO shaft and the anti-scalp wheels with plastic bearings are total junk. I had the seat slider lever fatigue break last year but that was an easy fix. I put an air ride seat suspension and bar tires on my machine and now wish I did that from new.

Just do the maintenance as per the schedule, keep it greased and your mower deck clean and it will work well for you. If you buy used avoid abused machines. FYI I was recently looking for some attachments at my dealer and saw two same age ZD326 machines with higher hours selling used what I paid brand new for mine in 2010. New ones are crazy priced now with the added “benefit” of DPF. No thanks.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I remember the ZD321 having tranny overheating problems and I dont know if the 323 has the same issues. Try doing some research before you buy. The 326 made after 2008 fixed the issues seen in the older models.
I believe it was the ZD21 and maybe the ZD23 that had transmission problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
(not sure what they're waiting for, I ain't getting any younger and I want grandkids lol)
You could buy them a book for Christmas with some tips on what to do on long winter nights. Just in case they haven't worked it out yet.

AlaskaKubota

Oct 24, 2015
Interior Alaska
I can not find much info on the google about the machine. Seems the 326 and 331 are talked about some. Is the 323 and 326 basically the same machine with a different motor? Also, it seems that the 323 326 and 331 have changed models to 1011 1021 and 1211???????

Just wondering if there is any information like past problems with the 323 or maybe problems that the 323 solved from older mowers.

I know that the 1011 is similar but has a D782 19 HP motor. I cannot really find significant differences except the seat on the 1011 is a noticeable difference. Also, they removed the valve to change fuel tanks on the new models.

I was not able to look at a 1021 but it has the same motor as the 323 (D902) so I am assuming that the 323 and 1021 are different year model siblings?

My mower is a 2014 model and I believe the models changed in 2016.

Also with these different model engines are they basically the same. With respect to the type of oil (CF rated). I have not researched the similarity in the transmissions but assuming they are the same.