ZG227 no voltage to fuel pump

kspot1722

Equipment
ZG227
May 21, 2024
Cincinnati
I have a 2010 ZG227 Zero Turn mower. Zero issues until a few days ago. While mowing it died just as if it ran out of gas. After some troubleshooting determined not getting voltage current to the fuel pump. Checked the relays and all measurements were within the ranges listed in the service manual. Fuses checked out as good. The interesting part is when you unplug the heat sink voltage regulator the fuel pump electrical connection will read 12v and fuel pump will run as it should with key turned on. Issue with running it this way long term as I understand it... my battery will not charge.

Additionally, with a rigged-up gas tank gravity feeding the engine, it runs fine and with the voltage regulator connected the battery tests out as charging properly.

How can I determine if my voltage regulator is truly bad? What else should I consider as causing the problem of not getting 12V to the fuel pump with the key is turned on as it should? Any assistance is much appreciated.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
simple test..
measure battery voltage with machine off...... say it's 12.4
start and run at 3/4+ RPM, measure battery voltage.... say it's 14.6

VR is probably working fine.

I would need to see wiring diagram to figure this out
1) VR connected, no power to gas pump
2) VR disconnect, power to gas pump
3) gravity tank, VT connected, charges

kspot1722

Equipment
ZG227
May 21, 2024
Cincinnati
I can try that this evening. I've attached the diagram I found. My understanding is the 327 and 227 are wired the same and in the full-service manual i have the diagrams look the same. Let me know if you see anything that may steer me to something. Thanks.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
thanks, quik look
kinda scary wiring...
the fuel pump gets battery power through a 15 amp fuse yellow wire AND from the voltage regulator ( the 18 Y wire). THIS connection is unfused and NOT the 'charging' wire ( RED) to slow blow fuse.

I presume this regulator design allows power to the fuel pump without a battery being needed(say for manual recoil engines )???

the regulator 2 wires for 'charge coil (blue), ground(black) charge +12( red), and fuel pump power.

I suspect that internally the 'fuel pump power' electronics is damaged. It's be nice to see the actual specs for that regulator.

kspot1722

Equipment
ZG227
May 21, 2024
Cincinnati
Yeah after looking at diagram again, I'm leaning towards the fuel sensor as it appears to be bypassed when the regulator is disconnected. Obviously if its broken or misfunctioning it would be the protection against the fuel pump getting voltage if it is detecting no fuel.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
Yeah after looking at diagram again, I'm leaning towards the fuel sensor as it appears to be bypassed when the regulator is disconnected. Obviously if its broken or misfunctioning it would be the protection against the fuel pump getting voltage if it is detecting no fuel.
I'm not sure where you're coming from with that statement. I see no connection between the fuel sensor and the regulator other than they share a common ground wire. I've never heard of a circuit whereby low fuel level would cut power to an electric fuel pump.

I'm more interested in how do the warning lights, hour meter, and fuel gauge react when the fuel pump stops working with the regulator plugged in? They all seem to be on the same circuit.

kspot1722

Equipment
ZG227
May 21, 2024
Cincinnati
Tested fuel sensor and Jumper'd to bypass. Same result. Simply put the fuel pump won't get voltage or run unless VR is unplugged. Ordered a new Voltage regulator and will see if that solves the issues.