ZG227 Mower Question

TxDoc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
ZG227
Apr 19, 2013
Texas
I've got a ZG227 mower. While under warranty, I had intermittent problems with starting and while holding the brake pedal or having the brake pedal locked while starting.

They said they were not sure what the problem was, but thought they got it fixed. That was during mulching season here, Winter, to many of you :)

After warranty ran out (I did buy the extended insurance, but don't think this qualifies), the problem has recurred.

If I can get not attempt to turn over, I must release the brake from being locked and tap, tap, tap the brake until it finally starts to fire, and I can roll. I had envisioned a simple switch that the pedal pressed on under the deck, but that was wrong!

I am really not sure how that mechanism actually works. Maybe that is why the dealer said it was not easy to run down. I have a shop manual, but don't have hours to try and see if there is a switched involved in some way and if I just need to order it and install it?

While I have some folks who might know, I wanted to ask this question, with two parts. I thought I had read this was true, but I may have only had a bad dream.

1-I can press on the seat and start the mower and let it warm up while I get ready to mow. It will start and run. BUT, if I am mowing, and disengage the blades, lock the parking brake, and push the control bars out to the side, and get off the mower, it will die. If it will start and run with me off, why wouldn't it do so when the controls are essentially in the same configuration while mowing and stop?

2-Do you have to be on level ground to START the mower or KEEP it RUNNING when you get off, as described above in the first part?

I appreciate any suggestions, questions, ideas, or opinions
Thanks

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
I don't own one of your model, nor a manual, nor did I stay at a holiday inn, last night, but it sounds to me like maybe that switch is on a shaft, or somewhere on the linkage. I'd feel along the linkage, and see if I could find it, should have a couple wires on it, too, so you could approach it that way, too.

TxDoc

Lifetime Member

Equipment
ZG227
Apr 19, 2013
Texas
Thanks Diydave! I had not considered the Holiday in thing, but may consider that or tom Bodet and Motel 6 :)

I am gonna get my shop manual out and lift the mower and see what I can find.
Thanks again.