ZD323

Darryll

Equipment
Zd323, L6060
Mar 5, 2024
Tn
Hello,

newbie to the forum and looking for a little help.

I have a ZD323 mower that i just replaced the brake safety switch on. It was giving me trouble so i finally replaced. I replaced the handle switches last season. Anyways, after installing, the mower only starts with foot OFF the brake pedal. Any ideas?

thank you in advance

Darryll

Equipment
Zd323, L6060
Mar 5, 2024
Tn
Hello,

I have a ZD323 mower that i just replaced the brake safety switch on. It was giving me trouble so i finally replaced. I replaced the handle switches last season. Anyways, after installing, the mower only starts with foot OFF the brake pedal. Any ideas?

thank you in advance
i seen another post i apparently missed. I have to use the brake lamp switch not the brake safety switch. Kind of weird but its probably due to the million safety switches.

thanks again.

Reactions: 1 user

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Hello,

thank you in advance
Here is the start circuit wiring diagram and operating logic.
forum ZD323 start circuit.jpg

Where did you get the safety switch you bought as Mikester's comment makes a lot of sense
Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
The brake switch ,#12 above, is a Form A and Form B switch, has both NO and NC switches in one package.
If you somehow installed connector 'upside down', you'll get the posted problem.

Darryll

Equipment
Zd323, L6060
Mar 5, 2024
Tn
Here is the start circuit wiring diagram and operating logic.
View attachment 123731

Where did you get the safety switch you bought as Mikester's comment makes a lot of sense
Dave
I bought two switches from Messics. A brake safety switch and a brake lamp switch. Brake safety switch caused the behavior described. Brake lamp switch which looks identical and has a part number very close to safety switch is what was needed. Soon as i switched them out mower worked perfectly. Both of these switches are two pronged.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I bought two switches from Messics. A brake safety switch and a brake lamp switch. Brake safety switch caused the behavior described. Brake lamp switch which looks identical and has a part number very close to safety switch is what was needed. Soon as i switched them out mower worked perfectly. Both of these switches are two pronged.
The switches could be different internally. One NC normally closed and the other NO normally open.
Glad your problem is solved.
Dave

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sadly, it's a very poor design , when you can install the wrong switch in a location. Normally manufacturers go the 'extra distance' and design for the assembly line, being sure that the wrong switches can't be installed.

Darryll

Equipment
Zd323, L6060
Mar 5, 2024
Tn
I agree. Crazy world we are living in.

Also, thank you to everyone who contributed. I really appreciate the help and look forward to maybe being able to help someone in return.