zd28 hydraulic leak

daytona701

Equipment
Kubota zd28, Bobcat 753, Ford 3230
Mar 4, 2023
South Mississippi
Hi, I’ve got a problem repairing a hydraulic leak on the steel pipe lead from the pump to the control valve that lifts and lowers the deck. Problem started when the mounting tab on the steel line cracked and allowed the line to back out of the pump. Was using the machine and noticed a change in the steering. Bought two new steel lines and associated rings from Kubota dealer. Installed new line with new rings and still had leak where lower line goes into pump. Removed line and new ring was torn. Replaced o ring and reinstalled line and it’s still leaking. Used plenty of hydraulic fluid to lubricate o ring both times when installing. Beginning to think steel line gouged aluminum orifice as it was vibrating and backing out. Is there a way to recondition orifice in aluminum pump block or another way to seal joint. Machine is 15 years old with about 1500 hours.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Other than having it re-machined by a good machinist, you could possibly try cleaning thouroughly, then an epoxy to fill the gouge and then lightly sand the ridge off.
But I think I would search out a used valve body. Those machines are old enough there has to be a lot in the bone yards by now.

daytona701

Equipment
Mar 4, 2023
South Mississippi
Other than having it re-machined by a good machinist, you could possibly try cleaning thouroughly, then an epoxy to fill the gouge and then lightly sand the ridge off.
But I think I would search out a used valve body. Those machines are old enough there has to be a lot in the bone yards by now.
I’m thinking using a reamer or wrapping Emory cloth on a rod to smooth the passage way. A 23/64” drill bit fits snug in the hole. There is limited space so it has to be done by hand. Someone suggested cleaning with solvent and epoxy the joint. Another suggestion was to install 2 o rings. I have limited knowledge of hydraulics so just fishing for suggestions.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
I’m thinking using a reamer or wrapping Emory cloth on a rod to smooth the passage way. A 23/64” drill bit fits snug in the hole. There is limited space so it has to be done by hand. Someone suggested cleaning with solvent and epoxy the joint. Another suggestion was to install 2 o rings. I have limited knowledge of hydraulics so just fishing for suggestions.
I would make sure to inspect it carefully before you do anything to it. Also make sure there is not part of the old oring left in the hole.

Has the steel tube been damaged in any way?

daytona701

Equipment
Mar 4, 2023
South Mississippi
I would make sure to inspect it carefully before you do anything to it. Also make sure there is not part of the old oring left in the hole.

Has the steel tube been damaged in any way?
I used a borescope but couldn’t see any obvious damage in the hole. I inspected the old tube and there is an area where the coating was worn away probably from vibration as it was backing out when the hold down tab broke. I bought two new tubes as the old tubes were rubbing together and both were damaged.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
If theres no damage in the hole, whats cutting your o-ring? From reading your original post you stated there was a gouge in the orifice that the tube went into. You really need to do a proper inspection before trying any fix.