Zd21

BillM

Equipment
zd21
Jul 5, 2013
fortvalley va
I have aZD21 that ran low on oil and the engine started to knock. I changed the oil it had about a quart in the pan but was very thick. Any ideas where I should start for repair?

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Which engine? 3cyl?

You'll need to pull it and break it down.

Have the crank turned and new bearings and gaskets/seals.......minimum $500 on up to about $2K for a complete rebuild depending on how far you want to take it.

BillM

Equipment
zd21
Jul 5, 2013
fortvalley va
Which engine? 3cyl?

You'll need to pull it and break it down.

Have the crank turned and new bearings and gaskets/seals.......minimum $500 on up to about $2K for a complete rebuild depending on how far you want to take it.
Yes its the 3cyl. I figured I spun a bearing local dealer doesn't even Want to tear it apart he says just order a remanifactured one about $3400

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Yes its the 3cyl. I figured I spun a bearing local dealer doesn't even Want to tear it apart he says just order a remanifactured one about $3400

Well.............he's a lazyass...........or he figures you're a sucker. $3400 is about what one would expect to pay with parts, labor, and machining costs.

So, add whatever labor to the crate and I bet you're around $5K with the dealer. Is the mower even worth that?

Can you do it yourself?

Last edited: